Why cant the UN buy up the poppy crop in Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Murphy_Slaw, Sep 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this probably sounds a bit simplistic, but here goes. If the UN bought all the poppy crops from the Afghans at the going rate or even for a bit more. we could then encourage the farmers to grow a legal cash crop and ensure that this crop would be sold for a proffit. The local warlords might need a bit of 'gentle' persuasion at first, but would almost certainly come round when the money started rolling in. Not only could we win few hearts and minds, but we might even dramatically cut the amount of heroin flooding the western markets.

2. Not simplistic at all but the idea's been debated a few times on here recently which is maybe why there's been no replies to this thread. On the other threads I'd guess it was about 2:1 in favour of at least giving it a try.

3. Is it just me that blames the UK heroin problem on dealers, pushers and ultimately users in this country, and not on farmers in Afghanistan?

"The war on drugs" has always seemed odd to me. It's a bit like trying to stop the obesity epidemic with a "war on chocolate pudding".

4. I'm not blaming the heroin problem on the Afghan farmers. Far from it. They grow the crop because they have to feed their families. All i'm sugesting is we in the west , give them an alternative.

5. RFUK wrote:

Nope, not just you.

Plus, even if it was the Afghan farmer's "fault", spraying their means of livelihood just means more bods shooting at our lot.

6. Apologies. Wasn't meant as a dig, but as an addition to your post. :wink:

Personally, I'm in agreement that burning their means of living to solve one of our homegrown problems is a particularly stupid idea.

7. onI wasn't suggesting we burn the crops and give them nothing in return. If you read my opening statement I said we should buy it off them. I agree that burning the fields for no reason would just act as a recruiting Sgt. for the Talliban.

8. The idea is too sensible to get a hearing from PC politicians.

9. Simple. It would mean spending money.

10. Why burn it? The Military already has a shortage of morphine, why can't we cultivate the crop properly?

Just a thought

11. Buying it would just push the price up on the black market. The users and dealers would still buy, sell and use. Crime in the Western world would increase to pay for the black market trade, the farmers/warlords would get greedy and go for the higher price.
    Even giving the farmers an alternative crop to grow will not eradicate the drug problem in the West. Where there is a demand, someone will supply.
    The best option is to jail dealers AND users for life (with no contact whatsoever with the outside world).

12. Two separate arguments imo.

1) What's the best way to "win" in Afg.
    2) What's the best way to deal with our heroin problem.

Whether buying the crop is a good long-term way to deal with our heroin problem is debateable. Personally doubt it for he reasons mentioned above.

But as far as Afg goes:

1) Spraying the crop will just make UK forces out there a load more enemies.
    2) Buying it for now reduces the Talitubbies source of income.

So I think we should buy it.

13. With no banks the money would end up in taleban hands eventually surely? Could we pay them in goods such as tractors, wheat, tools etc etc

Edited to correct m*ngy spelling

14. Thats it Im off to the Cadburys Terror training camp!

15. nil_oc says what I was thinking.
    The place to deal with the drug problem is here. We should emulate all those 3rd world countries who have the death penalty for dealing. Even dealing a gram should attract the severest of penalties. IF we can kill the demand we don't have to worry about the suppliers, if they can't sell it they won't grow it.
    If teh UN paide £x the dealers would pay £XX and the farmers would still grow it. From what I've seen (on the TV) of Afghanistan they'd be hard pushed to grow anything else in that ground.