Why can't I retain my Regt No....

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by brianand, Nov 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was a regular back in the 90's and have recently joined my local TA unit, they have called today and said I have been alocated a new regimental number as I was not on JPA previously? Is that right or are they just being lazy or not knowing what to do? I have had my original one for over 16 years and am quite fond of it now:smooch:

2. Im afraid thats about the size of it, there have even been cases of people being on JPA for some time with their old 24****** or 25****** numbers and the system having a mental and them having to be issued a new number. On the plus side though, you can enter shooting comps as a B-class shooter! Just dont tell anyone of your previous!

3. Seen, makes sense that the Army are still using completey useless outdated IT Systems etc.... Guess I'll have to lump it then!

4. Its the norm these days,you are not the only one,a number is a number.I wasn't impressed when it happened to me until someone explained that all the misdemeanors which I managed to get myself into when I was a reg,of which there were many when I was a young squaddie who thought he could take on the world were now in the past,gone,different number different person!!

5. Does that also include courses attended etc, or is my *ahem* young ******** past the only thing gone?

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Happens to the best of us.

I still get the two muddled up, it's great to see the look on people's faces when I have to get my ID card out in order to remember the new one.

7. Its going to take a while thats for sure, ah well, at least after last night I am finally making some real progress in terms of getting things squared with regard to training etc

8. With regards to courses, I think you may need to re-qual on most of them due to skill fade etc, I have a feeling its anything over six years and you have to do it again. Someone in the know will be aong in a mo........

9. To be serious mate Im sure nothing ever really disappears either good or bad when you were a reg.My TA unit have all my military qualls I gained as a reg.These days people just laugh when I show them a MOD 90 with sutch a new number and they look up at the really old face of the person holding it.

10. Anything over 6 years is out of date as said above, you will have to re-qualify. Your new unit should obtain a copy of your previous service record from APC once you have been attested but this will return only information transferred from your old UNICOM record to the APC mainframe back in the day.

Chances are any disciplinary problems will have fallen by the wayside.

The reason those who were discharged before JPA was introduced are unable to keep their army numbers is simply the cost of implementing it, going through every person up to the age of 54 with prior service and creating JPA records for them would takes years and cost a fortune. Your old records are not lost, just archived in some dusty corner of the world.

11. I've done my attestation and they have the copies of my red book etc and Glasgow have given the nod so my past cant have been raked up... Not that there is anything in it, that would be detrimental of course. And if it is going by old unicom records,, god help me, I dont think our coy clerk knew what a computer was let alone how to use the thing

12. [geek]

Alas, the MoD procured the second most expensive HR system in the world:

Human Capital Management | Oracle Products
    Oracle in Defence
    [ARCHIVED CONTENT] Defence Internet | Defence News | JPA goes 'live' for RAF personnel
    Expenses fiddles likely on MoD payroll system - 7/21/2009 - Computer Weekly
    www.oracle.com/global/uk/hcm/mod_jpa_feature.pdf
    MoD bonus payments, or is that chicken feed? | Think Defence

As to the quality of their implementation..... well, JPA doesn't have the best reputation in the world. In my Management Consultancy 101 there would be a whole chapter about never automating a poor business process. It has always felt to me like the accumulated baggage of all three services HR systems was shoehorned into a single Oracle-based platform, requiring a huge amount of expensive bespoke coding etc.

My guess is that JPA is now configured to spit out regimental numbers as the next value from a single unique numerical sequence. So APC staff can't physically insert your old number into the relevant field.

[/geek]

FP

13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I did feel sorry for the poor sod who was moaning about having to retain his old ACF instructors number now that he has joined the regular army.

Pity they did not do something sensible like using our National Insurance numbers instead of the bugger's muddle they created.

14. I believe they also lost the contact details of every army reservist on the old system......

15. msr

msr LE

That wouldn't work as there are some 800,000 duplicates...