Why cant I join with Asthma ???

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by conory, Oct 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why is it that I cant join the Army because ive got asthma ?

And is theres any jobs in the Army, RAF or RN that I could do even though ive got asthma ?

conory

2. Well theirs a little bit of running about involved, which may be a small clue.

3. You cannot join the British armed forces with Asthma

Thems the rules

Just like we weren't allowed to let poofters in.

We have standards to keep, looking after little Johnny wheezy pants in the heat of battle isn't one of them.

Sorry

< Disclaimer . I have never been in the heat of battle, dug in on Longdon or met any atheists in foxholes. >

4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Because you could die. Short answer.

You may be in a hot, sandy place with no access to medication and asthma has a nasty habit of reoccurrence. So the Army, very sensibly, doesn't want to take the risk with someone who doesn't have proper lung function.

It may seem like it's to piss you off but it isn't. It's for your own sake. Longer answer.

5. If you actually have to ask that question, I feel they maybe other reasons why you can not join the army, other than asthma.

But to be fair, you did ask a question, and the above is more of a comment on your question than an answer to it.

In answer to your question, you are not allowed to join the army if you are asthmatic because your condition makes you unsuitable for the physical rigours of military life.

However, if you are free from attacks/medication for a number of years (I believe it to be 3 years) you are regarded as no longer 'asthmatic' and can apply to join the Army - I hope that encourages you, good luck!

6. Because you would be a wheezing bag of uselessness during Phase 1, would eventually be back squadded, wasting the training budget, would definitley be medically discharged and would therefore be a massive financial drag on an already cash strapped organisation.

Just putting in to plain English what would be described as "Medical Unsuitable" for assessment at your relevant Selection Centre. You have to be clear of symptoms for at least 5 years.

Best of luck else where.

7. Sixty

Unless it's changed recently, it's four years clear of symptoms and/or medication.

8. Not to metion the pain if you have an NBC alert whilst in respirator unless the pump could be adapted to the side of the res..........but I think not...

9. I was in training with a guy who carried his girlfriends inhaler around in basic. He was asthmatic as a kid but didn't tell the Army. I think he is still in.

I think the inhaler was more of a security blanket for him.

12. Because you'll collaspse on runs and your mates will have to carry you - literally.

Sooner or later they'll get sick of it and beat the living Sh!t out of you.

13. And is the asthma rule the same in the T.A. ??

14. Sixty

Yep.

15. Cos its the rules.

I can just see it now, 'please sir, I can't do crowd control today as I'm a bit wheezy' or 'The respirator testing facility? With my chest like it is, ohh no thanks'

'Running? oh, where did I put my inhaler?'

'stand to? (wheeze) I'm (wheeze) just (wheeze) looking for (wheeze) my (wheeze) salbutamol (wheeze)'