Why can't all G10 watches be like this!

I had recently found out that my godfather (ex-reg RTR) whilst as a TA RE Sgt was issued this gem in 1970 which he still has to this day:

om2.JPG om1.JPG

I can appreciate that 'back in the day' there were a lot of Swiss movement watches still in circulation and many probably had filtered down to TA unit stores, however, this one is a bit special.
After a (surprisingly) quick bit of research I found that it was a one-off run made in 1953 for the RAF to be issued to pilots and navigators and was one of the very first UK military watches to have it's dial marked with tritium.
Apparently this was done because the WWII era watches which contained radium had been discovered to be unnervingly radioactive when stored in bulk!
Only 5900 were ever made and are now highly sought after by collectors.
Sort of makes my old quartz CWC look rather feeble.
The big mystery for me is how these rather nice RAF watches made it into a small RE TA unit stores when surely there were enough army purchased watches to go around?

ugly

LE
Maybe some poor storeman or QM filled in a req incorrectly!

that will be worth a small fortune I imagine. very very nice indeed.
Circa £3k, and a serious watch collector friend of mine advises that it's value will rocket in the coming years.

Sort of makes my old quartz CWC look rather feeble.
The big mystery for me is how these rather nice RAF watches made it into a small RE TA unit stores when surely there were enough army purchased watches to go around?
Two bigger mysteries:
How did he manage to sign it out? Storemen never allow starred items out of Stores.
How come he wasn't dragged forcibly back to the Stores to hand it back in as soon as he returned to the Drill Hall? Taking them home? - unheard of.

Two bigger mysteries:
How did he manage to sign it out? Storemen never allow starred items out of Stores.
How come he wasn't dragged forcibly back to the Stores to hand it back in as soon as he returned to the Drill Hall? Taking them home? - unheard of.
I was told that upon his promotion to Sgt the PSI came around his house with his tapes and a raft of other SNCO scaled issue items and he got it then.
IIRC, he was never asked to sign for it, rather it was just dumped on his kitchen table. It now lives on a hook in his house and still runs fine although it's never been serviced!

Thanks for reminding us, hand it back in or we send the MP's round.

Yours sincerely
The stores.
Good luck, his unit was canned under Options For Change :)

Back in the 60's / 70's the SBS and Navy Clearance divers had an issue of speshully made Rolex Submariners. One of the features was that the pins that retain the strap were actually welded in and not springy thingy's - the idea being that a springy thing may, perhaps break and the watch fall to the depths mid-mission. They also have what are called Sword Hands, a minute bezel and some unique engraving on the rear.

These things were issued to many a Poole dweller at the time ........... and do you know the amount of blokes who had to tab the boards for loss of kit (the watch) and pay the amount (and claim back on kit insurance) was astounding. These things rarely come up for sale and if they do they are considered to be one of the shiniest of shiney things by collectors with serious wonga.

This one went for 55,000quids BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Edinburgh, East and Fife | £55,000 clocked up for rare Rolex so hang onto yer dad's watch, you never know.

ugly

LE
Back in the 60's / 70's the SBS and Navy Clearance divers had an issue of speshully made Rolex Submariners. One of the features was that the pins that retain the strap were actually welded in and not springy thingy's - the idea being that a springy thing may, perhaps break and the watch fall to the depths mid-mission. They also have what are called Sword Hands, a minute bezel and some unique engraving on the rear.

These things were issued to many a Poole dweller at the time ........... and do you know the amount of blokes who had to tab the boards for loss of kit (the watch) and pay the amount (and claim back on kit insurance) was astounding. These things rarely come up for sale and if they do they are considered to be one of the shiniest of shiney things by collectors with serious wonga.

This one went for 55,000quids BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Edinburgh, East and Fife | £55,000 clocked up for rare Rolex so hang onto yer dad's watch, you never know.
My late FiL designed the Gutteridge Oyster face for divers, didn't leave me one in his will though!

With ref to your point about the watch pins being welded (or a clearance fit) rather than the civi sprung type is interesting. Did you ever see a G10 or stores issue watch that didnt have fixed pins?
I certainly didnt.

With ref to your point about the watch pins being welded (or a clearance fit) rather than the civi sprung type is interesting. Did you ever see a G10 or stores issue watch that didnt have fixed pins?
I certainly didnt.
I take your point. But, for the Rolex it was a build request out of the ordinary as it is not standard on their Sub's.

It's a good point actually, what happened to all the 1157's and other docs from units that suddenly found themselves would up back then?

Everyone's missing the obvious. Ex-Regular? He probably only joined the TA to take charge of the G10 Store.

I would have sussed him out. I'd just have looked through the 1033s for the forged signatures. (They're the ones with the flat bottom where the rule was).

ugly

LE