Why buy a fake degree off the internet?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by pyrogenica, Apr 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why buy a fake degree off the internet, when you can get a two year "mixed work-based, mixed academic" "degree" in selling beds from Buckinghamshire's new "university".

FFS, there are people out there flogging their guts out to get real degrees in worthwhile subjects, subjects that take years to master academically, and these t*wats have reduced the value of what used to be a distinguished qualification at a stroke.

2. I'm just about to graduate after five years of studying (two part-time with the OU whilst serving & three full-time) and I don't think this is such a bad idea.

They are offering a retail management foundation degree to people working in management positions. The concept I have no issue with. Although I do have an issue with the concept of a Foundation Degree. If it takes two years to study, then it should be a Diploma.

But otherwise, this sounds like BBC hate mongering to me.

3. Sign of the times...
    Government initiatives to try and get as many people as possible through "Universities," no matter how sh1t the course, or how sh1t the ex-poly.

Some are genuinely good, whereas others are a waste of space.
  4. In reality, to get a 'proper job', any decent HR hiring types see through all these 'modern degrees' such as degrees in 'Under water knife fighting by members of S club 7' and 'Level 5 bottom touching seen through the eyes of a Catholic priest'.

As with everything in modern day life, people love to big themselves up. Take traffic wardens for instance. They should now be called traffic control officers or some such chadery.

Those who know, know. Dont lose sleep over it.

Think of this scenario;

AOSB Westbury

Candidate 1. Old school normal degree.
    Candidate 2. Bed selling degree.

Unless its for a Reg C in the RLC, the board will see through the tat degree and hopefully the rest of industry will think the same too.
  5. Probably right about it being yet another BBC wah. I had to do a two year full time foundation, which they called a diploma, then my credits made it possible for me to jump a year on a 3 year course (which was also full time)

But these two year courses on bed (sorry, "retail management") are actually part time, if I read the BBC report right. It said something about part placement and part academic.

So what used to be described as a sandwich course at a tech (which is what this place at High Wycombe was until recently) has become a "degree" course.

It just seems to devalue the whole degree issue when people are getting them this easily. As you say, any half decent HR process will see through the tat, but it is just a sign of the times I suppose
  6. I bent over backwards fluffing to get mine
  7. Jobs which used to require BA/BSc as a minimum (say, 10-15 years ago) now almost invariably look for candidates with a Masters degree.
    So many people are coming out with Batchelors, that prospective employers are now looking for that extra commitment at an educational level.

I have seen a lot of "intellectual snobbery," which I think will only worsen with the rise in pseudo-degrees.
    I don't think it's Grad vs. Non-Grad anymore, but Russell Group Uni vs. Ex-Poly, and even subject vs. subject.
  8. If that's true Macks, and I suspect you're right, where do us OU scum-bags feature? The Russell Group wern't too keen on us a while back.
  9. If you go through the back issues of Seseme (or what ever the OU paper is called), you will see the findings of an attitude survey. I think this was around 2002/3. Although the jist was some firms were ok with the idea of employing OU grads, whilst some called it "spoon fed learning".

Personally, I thought it was a great experience, and prefered its teaching style to where I am now... Which is one of the best departments for my subject in the UK (second if you rank by research using the Times League).
  10. re: your bold.

In the public sector, at least NHS, it's increasingly becoming apparent that any job above £19k is increasingly asking for a masters or extensive management experience.

Considering the average graduate, who should be on £20k depending on which reports you read, has neither this doesn't bode well for the employability of the simplest of graduates.
  11. My current understanding of OU scum-bags (your words Maple, not mine ;) ) is that it depends on:
    a) The degree
    b) The job applied for
    c) Your background

By this I mean, let's take for example a soldier who is looking to return to Civvy Strausse, has done a few op tours, but found the time to put in the requisites and has bagged him/herself an OU degree.

Any employer should be looking at the combination of assets that the individual can bring to the company, and the fact that he/she has found time amongst what is publicly known to be a busy schedule to do a degree is a massive tick in the box.

A recent grad, holding only an Undergrad degree will not, as Antphilip has pointed out, have any management experience and will probably have spent most of his days at Uni on the floor of the Student Union.

I think what we'll see increasingly is those graduates aspiring to high-flying careers realising this, and staying on for a Masters. This was the case with a good 30-40% of people on my course.
  12. I don’t think it’s a case of 'where' but a case of 'what' that matters. As I said previously, most pukka employers will know what is important to them and as far as I'm aware, the Army still regard 'relevant' degrees as the key point to selection. Unfortunately, we appear to be going the way of the USA with regard to higher education. Every man and his dog over there has what they consider to be a degree or some form of higher learning and quals. In reality, it’s just a way of making someone appear cleverer than they actually are.

It’s all a big con. It looks good on a Governments CV if a higher percentage of its population are educated to a higher level but in reality; you still won’t get 'that' job unless you are 'suitably qualified'.

In my day a grammar school was a school that allowed the students with a potential to go further, a secondary comp was a place for the 'remainder'. A polytechnic was a place for commoners who were not clever enough to go to college but was a good place to provide practical quals such as carpentry or mechanic city and guilds type quals to enable them to get work and a college was a place that had people who weren’t quite up to being selected for uni. And a University was the pinnacle to higher education for those that wished to gain a 'professional' qualifacation.

Nowadays a college is a place where the local board show the willingness to house anyone who can breathe, grammar schools don’t exist and a university is what was considered in old money as a polytechnic or college. The old A level is a new age degree and an O level is anyone who can tip up for a few lectures without knifing the person clicking through a few power point presentations.

My niece recently passed a 'degree' in beauty therapy. When questioned, I asked her what employment this qual would give her. She told me it would enable her to work in a salon as a 'beauty technician' (a bird who sweeps the floor and watches the older bird paint other birds nails). So in reality, these new fangled 'degrees' are what us older types knew as city and guilds or diplomas. It’s just the new age likes to big themselves up. Thankfully, the older generation see them for what they are. Mickey Mouse certificates.
  13. True Flashy, but what about what her generation becomes the employer? Will they still be able to see through the Government-induced smog and realise that most "degrees" aren't actually degrees?
  14. Perhap this person should be able to answer your question the little mitty
  15. Getting a degree off the internet is no worse than say, getting a 'doctorate' from Bob Jones University.