Why Britain needs to re-instate the death penalty

Exactly. Hadn't even been charged with anything and was by definition, innocent.

My point is that an innocent can lawfully or justifiably be killed by the state or its agencies but a convicted criminal cannot. Presumably because he might turn out to be innocent.

I understand the justification. I don't understand the logic governing the two circumstances.

I contend that the state has no problem with killing, just as long as it can decide who can be killed and in what circumstances. We see it with the Blackman case. In one circumstance wrong and in another, some short time previously, perfectly ok.
Do you really not understand the logic, or are you being deliberately obtuse?

The state can kill people if it’s the only reasonable way to prevent harm to someone else, as was felt by someone in the Underground shooting.

If someone is in prison, then they’re not a threat and thus the rationale for killing them doesn’t apply.

It has nothing to do with guilt or innocence, and everything to do with necessity. The same applies to actors of the state killing people in war.

Do you really not understand the logic, or are you being deliberately obtuse?

The state can kill people if it’s the only reasonable way to prevent harm to someone else, as was felt by someone in the Underground shooting.

If someone is in prison, then they’re not a threat and thus the rationale for killing them doesn’t apply.

It has nothing to do with guilt or innocence, and everything to do with necessity. The same applies to actors of the state killing people in war.
Thanks, that's the first time I can recall an answer that seems to address what I'm asking. Certainly the first that's given me a reason why the guilty criminal poses a 'different' circumstance re state killing.

I'm not being obtuse by the way, my cognitive abilities have been impaired for over two years, such that I'm unable to reason things for myself. All to do I think, with a lack of access to memory.

Whenever complex issues arise, I've always striven to strip things back to basic concepts and build arguments or opinions from those basics. And I've obviously missed your line of thinking in the past.

So thanks again, I think I can forget about it all now.

So given that the decision-making processes are ok and the decisions therefore sound, why the difference re capital punishment.
Who said a sound decision making process always results in a sound decision? GIGO.

That's basically the underpinning of my argument against capital punishment - no matter how sound the process, there's no way to prevent the human factor stuffing it full of G.

Probanly didn't make myself clear, I was referring to sentencing in general, as in some cases there is clearly also an aim at recompense.
Comes down to classification of various types of crime perhaps, if some warrant recompense, do others permit retribution ?
Do you mean in circumstances where a person found guilty has to pay a victim surcharge?

If that the case I understand the logic of your thinking, but I’ve always felt that justice cannot permit retribution. I’m trying to think best how to describe that, but can’t right now.

Triple child killer who impaled victims on spikes cleared for release
Unbelievable. This piece of filth murdered three young children back in 1973, whilst ‘babysitting ‘. His reason - the baby wouldn’t stop crying. That in itself is terrible enough, but what followed next defies belief. He impaled all three children on railings outside the property.
Yet, the parole board has recommended his release back into society after Christmas, most likely with a new identity. Naturally, the poor Mum of the children is appalled and rightly so. How on earth should he be allowed to breath free air, when he took that right away from three innocent, defenceless human beings 45 years ago? He should never see the light of day again in my opinion.
Our Politicians promised us that ‘life would mean life’ for the most heinous crimes when they removed the death penalty in 1965. They lied.

Unbelievable. This piece of filth murdered three young children back in 1973, whilst ‘babysitting ‘. His reason - the baby wouldn’t stop crying. That in itself is terrible enough, but what followed next defies belief. He impaled all three children on railings outside the property.
Yet, the parole board has recommended his release back into society after Christmas, most likely with a new identity. Naturally, the poor Mum of the children is appalled and rightly so. How on earth should he be allowed to breath free air, when he took that right away from three innocent, defenceless human beings 45 years ago? He should never see the light of day again in my opinion.
Our Politicians promised us that ‘life would mean life’ for the most heinous crimes when they removed the death penalty in 1965. They lied.
The psychiatrist who gave evidence to the Parole Board said ' He was less likely to repeat the offense.'

Well, that's alright then.

Hopefully this will follow the case of John Warboys and public outrage will see him held behind bars.

The psychiatrist who gave evidence to the Parole Board said ' He was less likely to repeat the offense.'

Well, that's alright then.
We seem to have completely abandoned the concepts of punishment and public protection and moved completely towards rehabilitation.

Me? I couldn't give less of a **** about the welfare of serious criminals and would love to see the cnuts melted down as a warning to any other potential miscreants.

Would save on taxes and lower crime. Win/win. With zero drawbacks.

I'd certainly want to see him on a whole-life order, I still don't think that we should execute him.

We seem to have completely abandoned the concepts of punishment and public protection and moved completely towards rehabilitation.

Me? I couldn't give less of a **** about the welfare of serious criminals and would love to see the cnuts melted down as a warning to any other potential miscreants.

Would save on taxes and lower crime. Win/win. With zero drawbacks.
Nor do I give a fück about criminals, but I still don’t want to see an innocent person lose their life and while that is a possibility the death sentence is wrong.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
This astonishes you ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer