Why Britain needs to re-instate the death penalty

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yes, of course, these judges, advocates and policy makers clearly never considered any of this and know nothing of the law, justice or criminality.
Shouldn't the law be cold and unemotive ?

Emcon is talking about the feelings of relatives of a murdered person, should emotions have an influence on how the law is administered and the severity of sentences ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The thing that's referenced in the link you posted this under. The one that shows public support for the death penalty falling to 48% in 2014?
Yes.

Not quite right. The decision-making process of a teen is as good as an adult; the problem is that the inhibitary part of the brain is not as fully developed at the same time.

They are thus more prone to peer pressure, risky behaviour and cognitive biases.

As I understand it.

So in fact, you're quite correct.

Ye gods but I dribble sometimes.
I agree, with the first part.

No it doesn’t, de menezes was killed in a legal security operation and not as a result of the justice system.

There is an extensive thread on de menezes.
I disagree. I say that it pertains because it involves the decision-making process involved with the state, or its agencies, killing innocent people. And with the moral component thereof. And because I say it pertains.

It colours such thinking as I'm capable of and thus I must assume that it similarly may colour the thinking of others.

To dismiss it is unreasonable; if my question/confusion remains unanswered the issues cannot be assumed to have been fully considered and any resulting decision/outcome is flawed.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Shouldn't the law be cold and unemotive ?

Emcon is talking about the feelings of relatives of a murdered person, should emotions have an influence on how the law is administered and the severity of sentences ?
When applying it yes, otherwise those committing serious crimes would unlikely be represented and would have to be released - the ultimate injustice.

But on deciding what the law is, how to apply it and any policy reasons behind that must consider anything and everything, which (I think) is the right thing to do.

UK policy is one of rehabilitation of offenders, but it also allows the most serious offenders to be incarcerated forever.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
UK policy is one of rehabilitation of offenders, but it also allows the most serious offenders to be incarcerated forever.
Harping back to an earlier less serious post, that would be a fitting punishment for some crimes.
However working in the real world precludes Skypixie sentences, however appropriate they may seem.

But Denning and political policy aside, what are sentences really for ?
Punishment, recompense, rehabilitation or revenge ?

Harping back to an earlier less serious post, that would be a fitting punishment for some crimes.
However working in the real world precludes Skypixie sentences, however appropriate they may seem.

But Denning and political policy aside, what are sentences really for ?
Punishment, recompense, rehabilitation or revenge ?
Punishment, with an aim of rehabilitation.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Punishment, with an aim of rehabilitation.
Probanly didn't make myself clear, I was referring to sentencing in general, as in some cases there is clearly also an aim at recompense.
Comes down to classification of various types of crime perhaps, if some warrant recompense, do others permit retribution ?

We are all of the opinion they are pretty shit, but look at the fiasco when the population is invited to do their job for them.

There needs to be a Referendum Act that does not allow Referendums, it needs to be entrenched by requiring a referendum to repeal it.
On a similar vein, I would also support a petition for all petitions to automatically come with a counter-petition for people who think that the inevitably fucking stupid idea that the petition supports is indeed fucking stupid.

I say that it pertains because it involves the decision-making process involved with the state, or its agencies, killing innocent people.
At what point in that decision making process was de Menezes found guilty by a jury if his peers?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
At what point in that decision making process was de Menezes found guilty by a jury if his peers?
It wasn't.
What occurred was an extrajudicial killing authorised by a politically promoted officer relying on incorrect intelligence due to politically influenced underfunding of the relevant security service(s.)

Exactly. Hadn't even been charged with anything and was by definition, innocent.

My point is that an innocent can lawfully or justifiably be killed by the state or its agencies but a convicted criminal cannot. Presumably because he might turn out to be innocent.

I understand the justification. I don't understand the logic governing the two circumstances.

I contend that the state has no problem with killing, just as long as it can decide who can be killed and in what circumstances. We see it with the Blackman case. In one circumstance wrong and in another, some short time previously, perfectly ok.

Exactly. Hadn't even been charged with anything and was by definition, innocent.
So are the victims of industrial accidents caused by well-meaning decisions made on incomplete information.

Neither they nor de Menezes have entered the criminal justice system let alone been condemned to death by it. That's a flawed comparison.

So are the victims of industrial accidents caused by well-meaning decisions made on incomplete information.

Neither they nor de Menezes have entered the criminal justice system let alone been condemned to death by it. That's a flawed comparison.
So given that the decision-making processes are ok and the decisions therefore sound, why the difference re capital punishment.

I'm not comparing scenarios, other than that it's people being actively killed; I'm questioning the logic/reasoning.

I'm also not arguing one way or the other.

Good idea cheap and permanent easier on the prison services and the budget. sentence to be carried out behind court immediately. beside a skip. obviously conviction must be solid. too many folks about anyway.