Why Britain is no longer a land fit for heroes

This has been creeping up on us for a while now. We began noticing it when recruits from the ITCs took to calling JNCOs 'mate' when they first arrived in Battalion. Even ten years ago you'd have been filled in for less.
I vividly remember a Para Cpl at depot, training females and having a dismal time trying to discipline them, knowing full well if he used anything stronger than "please remember to polish your boots tomorrow - if that's alright with you..." he'd be accused of sexual harrassment, bullying and God Knows what else besides. one of the recruits simply got around having to do anything taxing by the simple expedient of stroking his leg whenever he berated her for a misdemeanour. he used to walk off screaming to himself.
Another good friend of mine was instructing at Catterick and had a bloody heart attack - stress-induced, the medics said...no sh*t sherlock!
Time to start the anti-PC backlash.
At the end of the day, if you can't handle a little bad language and physical discomfort, what are you going to do when the bullets start flying.
In the old days, you obeyed your seniors initially beacause of fear of the consequenses, then eventually because it was unthinkable to do any different. It became a habit. In the long run you appreciated the reasoning behind the orders (mostly) and if it went a bit too far you complained afetr the event.
These days an unpopular command is more than likely to trigger a debate rather than instant obedience...I know we're not meant to be automatons, but there has to be a middle ground somewhere. :oops:
It ain't like it used to be...

2 options
we have an election and make sure the conservitives are elected

or less likley we defend our sovreign and remove the government :lol:

The rate this so-called 'Government' is going we'll soon become qualified as the healthiest, best educated nation of slaves in history, because we won't be able to defend ourselves against Luxembourg, let alone any credible enemy!

Yaaah!
Rally to the Queen and storm Westminster and Downing Street!!!
Ah... if only.

Ventress

LE
How true the piece is. We are now strangled by H&S, EO, PC, etc and unfortunatley the Army doesn't fight wars making sure it doesn't fall foul of the left wing tree huggers!

The Army is not one man.The United Kingdom is not One Prime Minister.

Yes it is a shame that Tim decided to throw his hand in. It is an even greater shame, that the man who produced that superb oratory in the Gulf, could not come up with something better than "The Army has got too PC" to justify sacking himself.

As long as this Flag flies free

As long as we stand ready to do the Sovereign's bidding, to defend the United Kingdom against Her Majesties' enemies, and to protect those who need us.

As long as the Flag is a byword, for fair play and decency in foreign lands

As long as there are men like this to lead us

Then my beautiful country, will ALWAYS remain a land fit for heroes.

G

goneandgone

PartTimePongo said:
Yes it is a shame that Tim decided to throw his hand in. It is an even greater shame, that the man who produced that superb oratory in the Gulf, could not come up with something better than "The Army has got too PC" to justify sacking himself.
He is still a Colonel in the British Army for some months yet.
His wife is free to speak out as she sees fit.
He however is playing this well. It is fitting that he says little or nothing until he actually leaves in the summer. He continues to behave professionally.
Col. Tim felt unsupported by his colleagues and bosses when falsely accused. As an individual it's obviously shaken him to go through such a public and traumatic experience. It would have no doubt turned out fine if his bosses and colleagues had stood firm and been pillars of support to him in his time of need. If they turned their backs on him and were wet lettuces one can see why this whole experience would leave him questioning his previous understanding of comradeship.
This is a colleague of yours people that has been unsupported and let down....hardly a concept new to you judging by a goodly amount of the posts on arrse. He has proved beyond doubt his excellence as a soldier.
He has done his 22..he was shat on from a great height and now he's had enough and is getting out....same as many of you would.
His wife has expressed his personal feelings on the lack of support he suffered and he has no doubt experienced first hand the PC attitudes mentioned only too well.
This man deserves your comradeship people. Support your colleague.

PartTimePongo said:
The Army is not one man.The United Kingdom is not One Prime Minister.

As long as this Flag flies free

As long as we stand ready to do the Sovereign's bidding, to defend the United Kingdom against Her Majesties' enemies, and to protect those who need us.

As long as the Flag is a byword, for fair play and decency in foreign lands

As long as there are men like this to lead us

Then my beautiful country, will ALWAYS remain a land fit for heroes.

That was a party political broadcast on behalf of the ARRSE party.

Seriously, well said PTP.

Next stop Sedgefield!

His wife is free to speak out as she sees fit.
Oh well, in that case , it's a shame his wife couldn't come up with something better than "The Army has got too PC" to justify sacking himself/herself. It is unusual , for a wife at this rank to actually comment in the first place. I don't seem to remember Sir Michael Boyce's wife speaking out, after Boy-cee got shafted. I don't seem to remember Col. Tims wife speaking out, after Major Bastarde tried to stitch him up.

The usual form, is "I am retiring, it's been a great life" . Which of course we all know means "Just you wait Henry Higgins"

I look forward to the continuing statements of Mrs. Collins.

G

goneandgone

PartTimePongo said:
I look forward to the continuing statements of Mrs. Collins.
On the other hand perhaps there's major domestics now occuring in the Collins household as Col. Tim rants that the mother of five shouldn't have said a word to the scumbag journos.
Ah well feck it eh :lol:

Where's HVM_Boy and Foggy Balla when you need a quick skit on what's being said in the Collins household at the moment? :D

Thank you PtP for printing that picture of POD - if you can find some techy-genius way of emailing to me, so I can print it off and put it on my bedroom wall please................. 8)

I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with the H&S laws, they are a valuable protection for people in civvy street.

The real issue is, is that they are a complete anomaly in an organisation that creates and develops skills and personal attributes in its personnel by exposing them to risk. Risk free and 'comfortable' military training is a mutually exclusive term.

Two thoughts kept occurring to me when I read this excellent piece - one, stop blaming this Govt, it's no worse and no better than any other we've had. Two - were these H&S laws brought in to protect the employer from prosecution? H&S laws were routinely ignored by civvy companies for many years and only began to be taken seriously when they started to get prosecuted for blatantly breaking them. Is the MOD trying to protect itself against compensation claims from injured or disgruntled soldiers? And if it is, you can hardly blame it.

However, I sympathise completely with the frustration that the Treasury wants to prioritise its spending on hospitals and schools. The military is just not a popular thing for the British taxpayer.............and before anyone thinks the Govt is after votes - yes it is, and so it should be - they respond to the way that the electorate have voted.

The really sad issue is here is that Joe Public does not want his and her taxes spent on the Military, and especially compensation claims by soldiers - hence the focus on protecting the employer by imposing H&S laws.

There is no doubt the Military should be exempt from them.

Why Britain is no longer a land fit for heroes?...

It hasn't been for some considerable time, and whilst you have decent individuals like Col Collins being sh@t on at the sharp end, and idiots like that useless fcukwit HoonDog in UK government, it never will be.

ViroBono MAYBE YOU HAVE SOMETHING

VOTE ARRSE
FOR A COUNTRY FIT FOR HEROES

Has a certain ring to it Armed forces party swept to lanslide victory.
you know we have a proven history of running health,transport,budgets etc. Nation building yep we've done that got tee shirt.

Oh what a thought :wink:

There is actually a party at the moment, whose manifesto basically states that the Armed Forces should control education, health, the foreign office (including immigration), police, fire, etc. Basically, if elected, the Armed Forces control the whole works.
Unfortunately, I think it happens to be rather pro-Nazi-ish...
Can't quite remember its name though. I shall try and find it.

Hmmm...shades of Chile anyone?
Will it mean we can design our own uniforms and wear more medals - bigger hats, perhaps.
It'll only happen when the big corporations decide we can do more for them than a civilian government.
Allende was toppled partially in response to worries that he'd nationalise the newly-built Coca-Cola factory...