Why arent they called troopers?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Barrack Room Lawyer, Oct 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,in the bar a discussion arose the other night as to why paratrooper privates are not known as troopers? It would of seemed the logical choice surely?
  2. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

As a jovial aside...does that mean other troopers aren't para? Just very switched on? :wink:
  3. i am guessing ... trooper is generally associated with a cavalry rank and private with the infantry.
    But it's a good point if the SAS and and AAC use the term. Especially as the Parachute Reg evolved from the AAC.
  4. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

IIRC, during WWII, they and their SAS counterparts were originally called Parachutists.
  5. SAS do generally follow cavalry styles, Troops and Squadrons rather than platoons and companies for example. I believe it's just the way they were titled at their formation.

Posted quickly, while the cat's not sat on the keyboard.
  6. It's not called The Paratroop Regiment either.
  7. Because 'Paratrooper' refers to a role and it's a bad idea to muddle the line between role and rank.

In the early days, Para Reg's predecessors in 2 Commando & 11 SAS kept their parent unit rank titles (mixed bag of Troopers, Riflemen, Guardsmen etc) and operated within Troops and Sqn's. At some stage during the formation of Parachute Bn's, they adopted the traditional Infantry designation of Privates operating within Plt's and Coy's.

I always used to fancy that 'steely eyed dealer of death' was the most logical title for us Toms but now appreciate it lacked the typical British understatement demanded of HM Forces.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Post war they were 'The Malayan Scouts' When reformed under an SAS title, the majority came from tank units in Germany to form 'B' Sqn. the oldest of the four.
  9. The old man was in 6 Para and he was neither a trooper nor a private - a fusilier.
  10. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

I think the Troop/Squadron titling and structure began in France during WWII when 1 & 2 SAS were jeep mounted. Postwar, when the SAS was reformed as a TA unit with the Artists Rifles, they kept it intact and thus when 22SAS was formed it was passed onwards to the new regiment.
  11. They were already troops and squadrons prior to the Malayan Scouts, during WW2

Posted quickly, while the cat's not sat on the keyboard.
  12. I just thought Stirling had a Cav fetish.....

13. Understandable as the core of 6th Para Bn came from 10th Bn Royal Welch Fusiliers. However, somewhere along the line they fell into step with other Para Bn's and ditched the term Fusilier and took up Private.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  14. BRL will be pleased to hear this, he's been up day and night waiting for an answer. I'll let him know.
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Slightly off topic - wasn't the late, great Tommy Cooper in the Life Guards and was thus Trooper Cooper?
    • Like Like x 1