Why arent they called troopers?

i am guessing ... trooper is generally associated with a cavalry rank and private with the infantry.
But it's a good point if the SAS and and AAC use the term. Especially as the Parachute Reg evolved from the AAC.

SAS do generally follow cavalry styles, Troops and Squadrons rather than platoons and companies for example. I believe it's just the way they were titled at their formation.

Posted quickly, while the cat's not sat on the keyboard.

Because 'Paratrooper' refers to a role and it's a bad idea to muddle the line between role and rank.

In the early days, Para Reg's predecessors in 2 Commando & 11 SAS kept their parent unit rank titles (mixed bag of Troopers, Riflemen, Guardsmen etc) and operated within Troops and Sqn's. At some stage during the formation of Parachute Bn's, they adopted the traditional Infantry designation of Privates operating within Plt's and Coy's.

I always used to fancy that 'steely eyed dealer of death' was the most logical title for us Toms but now appreciate it lacked the typical British understatement demanded of HM Forces.

SAS do generally follow cavalry styles, Troops and Squadrons rather than platoons and companies for example. I believe it's just the way they were titled at their formation. .
Post war they were 'The Malayan Scouts' When reformed under an SAS title, the majority came from tank units in Germany to form 'B' Sqn. the oldest of the four.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
I think the Troop/Squadron titling and structure began in France during WWII when 1 & 2 SAS were jeep mounted. Postwar, when the SAS was reformed as a TA unit with the Artists Rifles, they kept it intact and thus when 22SAS was formed it was passed onwards to the new regiment.

Post war they were 'The Malayan Scouts' When reformed under an SAS title, the majority came from tank units in Germany to form 'B' Sqn. the oldest of the four.
They were already troops and squadrons prior to the Malayan Scouts, during WW2

Posted quickly, while the cat's not sat on the keyboard.

The old man was in 6 Para and he was neither a trooper nor a private - a fusilier.
Understandable as the core of 6th Para Bn came from 10th Bn Royal Welch Fusiliers. However, somewhere along the line they fell into step with other Para Bn's and ditched the term Fusilier and took up Private.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

D

Djelli Beybii

Slightly off topic - wasn't the late, great Tommy Cooper in the Life Guards and was thus Trooper Cooper?
Courtesy of WIKI

Second World War[edit]
After school Cooper became a shipwright in Hythe, Hampshire, and in 1940 he was called up as a trooper in the Royal Horse Guards. He served initially in Montgomery's Desert Rats in Egypt. Cooper became a member of a NAAFI entertainment party and developed an act around his magic tricks interspersed with comedy. One evening in Cairo, during a sketch in which he was supposed to be in a costume that required a pith helmet, having forgotten the prop, Cooper reached out and borrowed a fez from a passing waiter, which got huge laughs.[10]

I think the Troop/Squadron titling and structure began in France during WWII when 1 & 2 SAS were jeep mounted. Postwar, when the SAS was reformed as a TA unit with the Artists Rifles, they kept it intact and thus when 22SAS was formed it was passed onwards to the new regiment.
So shouldn't members of 21 SAS (Artists Rifles) who are not officers or NCOs be titled Riflemen?

Latest Threads