Why are we still in Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Ord_Sgt, Sep 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

What is the point of our presence there now? Identification and maintanence of the aim and all that!

What are we trying to achieve there?

Edited to remove "I know I've annoyed a few people over the years but really," what I meant by that was don't post to have ago at me.
  2. X59

X59 LE

Has never been adequately answered in ten years.
  3. It's a live ex, in preparation for Falklands II......
  4. Main effort is now mentoring the ANA/ANP into a reckon-able force, the end result being that the Taliban can take back power after 12 months instead of 6
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Not trying to be an arrse, but didn't we stop doing that last week because the ******* are trying to kill us?
  6. Dullard.

Are they trying to kill us? I mean in your personal experience.

We are there because that is where we are ordered to go. The Germans were trying to kill us in Germany, the IRA in Ireland, the Argies in the Falklands, the N Koreans were trying to kill us, guess where!

Go to bed.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. We were supposed to pull out in 2009 but we're relying on the RAF for transport out?
    • Like Like x 2
  8. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

9. Ord Sgt has never served in Afghanistan which is just as well because the air bridge cannot handle transporting 100,00L of turps every day.
  10. Because you can't lose another 30,000 of the ceiling for HM Forces that quickly. It takes time.
    Tranche 17: 2015
  11. X59

X59 LE

Timeless classic line.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. You mean he's never savoured the delights of a frozen sausage roll?

How can this be Mr Heed?

He speaks with the authority of one who knows!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

But do you not ask why? We have been ordered to go to many places, I've been to a few myself. There should be a point surely?

14. Hic, hic, schoody bong....
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Exactly, all that matters for current serving soldiers.