Why are uniforms soooo wrong on TV?!

#1
Just watched Waterlooo Road with the "controversial" decision to bring the Army into school! Apart from the usual Army bashing the beeb loves to give us, it threw up another question.

Why do the media always get the British Army uniform so wrong?!

The berets were awful! Trousers worn wrong! AND the lads were supposedly from APTC, and were wearing 95 Combat Jackets around a bunch of teenage girls, come on, not fooling anyone! It would have been white vests all around, accidentally flexing just little bit more than usual!

Is there really no one that could show them how to look ally and not like a bunch of mong airsoft walts!
 
P

PrinceAlbert

Guest
#2
frigate23 said:
Just watched Waterlooo Road with the "controversial" decision to bring the Army into school! Apart from the usual Army bashing the beeb loves to give us, it threw up another question.

Why do the media always get the British Army uniform so wrong?!

The berets were awful! Trousers worn wrong! AND the lads were supposedly from APTC, and were wearing 95 Combat Jackets around a bunch of teenage girls, come on, not fooling anyone! It would have been white vests all around, accidentally flexing just little bit more than usual!

Is there really no one that could show them how to look ally and not like a bunch of mong airsoft walts
!
They probably used the local TA regt :D
 
#5
Did you see the berets on Doctor Who :oops: (obvously, I only watch it because the kids do)? Dreadful.

Almost certainly the reason is that every single person attracted to the 'meeja' and acting professions these days are inherently anti-military so will never have been in the cadets even. Nor will they really care what they are portraying.

In the good old days, when you had proper actors like Richard Todd (served at Arnhem) you could rely on some proper beret-wear. Even the Monty Python team, a product of National Service, knew how to wear a uniform.
 
#6
I heard something great recently about the TA. Don't laugh at that... hear it out, it's actually sensible and from me! blimey!

anyway; I was told a quote: "Would you do a hobby you were bad at?" answer obviously being no, because you don't enjoy what you're shit at in general.

"Well the TA is the hobby of the TA lads, and most of them are good at it. That's why they do it. Obviously there are some bad apples but we (this guy was a reg) get plenty of them too."

I thought it rang pretty true.

Grim
Standing by for incoming!
 
#7
frigate23 said:
Why do the media always get the British Army uniform so wrong?!

The berets were awful! Trousers worn wrong!
paid to wear it........... not model it.

that is why i am an engineer. :D :D :D :D
 
#8
Not quite as bad as the Dr. Who wardobe department, but the assault did make me laugh.

I noticed that Captain Chilli in the Eyes, had his 95 shirt buttoned up to the top. Not ironed flat.

Surely it's not that difficult for tv companies to research. The walts do a better job sad to say. :D
 
P

PrinceAlbert

Guest
#9
I can't believe you're all moaning about some gash TV series??

People know it's not real ya know!
 
#10
Sparky2339 said:
Not quite as bad as the Dr. Who wardobe department, but the assault did make me laugh.

I noticed that Captain Chilli in the Eyes, had his 95 shirt buttoned up to the top. Not ironed flat.

Surely it's not that difficult for tv companies to research. The walts do a better job sad to say. :D
I watched it too, it was quite amusing* and apparently we are all baby killers and eat ragheads etc. and burn mums of more than 3 people on BBQs ad infinitum.



*Not as amusing as your sig block though!!! :) :) :)
 
#12
The_Snail said:
Not as amusing as your sig block though!!! :) :) :)
Comedy Gold Dale, it makes me laugh every time I see it. :D

C'mon folks get a sig block from Whiskey60 and donate to Holidays4Heroes.

:D :D :clap: :clap: :worship: :worship:
 
#13
#15
Sparky2339 said:
The_Snail said:
Not as amusing as your sig block though!!! :) :) :)
Comedy Gold Dale, it makes me laugh every time I see it. :D

C'mon folks get a sig block from Whiskey60 and donate to Holidays4Heroes.

:D :D :clap: :clap: :worship: :worship:
Not as amusing as the one on RP for Pip!!!!

Pip Ahoy!!!!!!!
 
#16
FFAGrimReaper said:
I heard something great recently about the TA. Don't laugh at that... hear it out, it's actually sensible and from me! blimey!

anyway; I was told a quote: "Would you do a hobby you were bad at?" answer obviously being no, because you don't enjoy what you're s*** at in general.

"Well the TA is the hobby of the TA lads, and most of them are good at it. That's why they do it. Obviously there are some bad apples but we (this guy was a reg) get plenty of them too."

I thought it rang pretty true.

Grim
Standing by for incoming!
As an ex regular who went reservist and is now a regular again, I can only fully agree with you! I do want to add that the good reservists tend not to see their soldiering as a hobby, but as a second job.

Still, this doesn't explain why uniforms are so bloody awful on the telly. Could it be that most professions are cr@p when portrayed on TV? I remember being in hospital during my teens and watching some hospital series with the nursing staff. They had a good laugh at the actors obviously being cr@p at playing doctor-and-nurse. Must be the same for fireman, sollicitors and cops. Can any plod and firemen on these boards tellus about that?
 
#17
spaz said:
Fifth_Columnist said:
Even the Monty Python team, a product of National Service, knew how to wear a uniform.
Are they bollocks.
They all went to either Cambridge or Oxford, and one trained as a doctor.... so it is unlikely any were called up. Nothing mentioned on their wiki bit about NS.

Although Eric Idle refused the position of Head Boy at his school on the grounds that it would mean he would hold a position in the CCF. He was against Nuclear Arms, and had marched against themat this time.

Having said all that, they were of a time when many in the cast and crew WOULD have been ex-service men. So have been in a position to put them right.

On the other hand, another perhaps much unknown comedy group (the Goon Show).

Had the following

Micheal Bentine. Volunteered to join RAF at the outbreak of WW2. Was denied because his father was Peruvian (despite the fact his father had been an Aeronautical Engineer on Sopwith Camels in WW1).

He began touring with a Shakespearen company... only to be arrested on stage by Two RAF MPs. His call up papers had been following him for a MONTH. Trained as a pilot. A fcuk up which saw him (and another) injected with pure typhus saw him in a coma for six weeks and his eyesight ruined. THe other lad died.

He transfered to RAF Intelligence, and later MI 9. Who helped to support the escape attempts. His boss was Airey Neave. He saw first hand the liberation of Bergan-Belson.

Spike Milligan. Conscripted as a Signaller in to the 56th Hy Regt, RA. Saw action in Africa and Italy before being wounded and "bomb happy". Ended up in afull time entertainment unit, entertaining the troops (sort of like the para military wing of teh CSE).

Sir Harry Secombe.
wiki said:
After leaving school, in 1937 he became a pay clerk at Baldwins store. In 1938 he joined the Territorial Army, serving as a Lance Bombardier in the Royal Artillery. Secombe referred to his unit as "The Five-Mile Snipers" during World War II, serving in the North African Campaign, Sicily and Italy.[1]

He first met Spike Milligan in Tunisia. Milligan's artillery battery had a larger calibre artillery piece that was too big for the gun pits Secombe's unit's cannon had used. The rest of Secombe's battery had already moved and he was with the last elements in some tents at the foot of a cliff below their former position. The officers in Milligan's battery didn't bother to enlarge the pits. When Spike's cannon fired its first shell, the recoil drove the gun up out of the pit and over the cliff. Secombe recalled that when the weapon fell outside the tent, he and his mates thought, "My God! They're throwing cannons at us!" A moment later, the flap of the tent opened and Spike poked his head in and said in his Eccles' voice, "Has anyone seen a gun?" Secombe replied "What colour?"

When he visited the Falkland Islands to entertain the troops after the 1982 war, he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant by his old regiment - 37 years after being demobbed.
too funny not to quote. :D

Peter Sellers. Cpl in the RAF. Served in India and Burma. And after the war in France and Germany. Eventually moved to ENSA (like Spike).

Now adays we get "comedians" such as this cnut.
 
#18
frigate23 said:
theoriginalphantom said:
Trousers worn wrong!
How? upside down? inside out? back to front?
Trousers tucked into boots, ultimate CCF thing to do.
Accompanied by judicial use of insect repellent, tucking your trousers into your boots prevents leeches getting an easy meal!

:D
 
#19
Big problem, leeches on Waterloo Road - whole episode to be done on it later in the year.
 
#20
Herrumph said:
Big problem, leeches on Waterloo Road - whole episode to be done on it later in the year.
Well UK is being turned into a 3rd world country, dickensian diseases rampant... it's only a matter of time till it really is a jungle out there!!

:D
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads