Why are tradesmen *****?

This does my ******* tits in.

Need urgent glazing work done. Full house refit including patio doors..the house is 3 hours away, so I made touch with a few folk when I was last up.

Lots of promises, interests in the work, agreement to schedules, etc. All positive.

I ask for quotes.

It goes to shit.

People not getting back to me, giving me patrial quotes, asking far too much, generally being shit, suddenly deciding they can't do it.

So the tight window I've got, is now even tighter because yesterday, one of the leading horses in this ******* race, who'd been fine so far, suddenly tells me he's too busy.

I now have to get a tradesman I know and trust to drive three ******* hours to do this, because local talent is shite.

Add in the fact that when you get a quote it's all smoke and ******* mirrors anyway. You don't lump sum quote me, you break the prices down so I can see what's costing what, and so I can update my insurers and kept my books.

Or you ask for that and they throw a fit. If you're so ashamed of what you're charging for labour and putting on top etc that you don't want to break it down, I suggest you review how much you're charging. I know you need to make profit - show me that and I am happy. Try and hide it and I smell a rat.

I'm not thick, I'll find out how much that patio door cost you and woe betide you if you lied to me.

Honest to ****, I encounter this every time I need a trade. Or they're good, but completely illegal. I need a contract, not just a fag packet quote. I did a lot of work professionally around this, and they don't understand a contract is to protect them too, or I ask the client could just deny the work was ever agreed to and **** your money owed.

Jesus tittyfucking Christ

Three hours drive for someone to come and do this fit because the locals are lazy, useless and unprofessional. A joke.

Anyone else find this?
Yes.

Though if you were up in Cumbria, I could point you to a company that does excellent work at a good price & with everything invoiced too.

I could also give you the name of a really shit plumber/gas appliance service "engineer" who needs to meet Nasty Ned down a dark alley one night when Ned's been on the wife beater...

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
MrBane where are you and what are you after and when? do you have rough measurements for a fag packet quote?if distance and timeframe reasonable, I could make some calls as just done two full houses (upvc) and one with wooden frames for very reasonable prices (London/Ascot/Ludgershall) only difference in price was London congestion.
Haha, cheers mate but I'd suggest Aviemore is a touch further than you'd like. Nah, the guy I use locally here will do the job and after paying his rates, etc, him and his missus will get the place for a weekends shagging. Everyone wins.

I know plenty of reliable tradesmen, whose only let down is that sometimes they're so busy they're not available for weeks and won't bite you if you want a quote

Still, getting a new roof for £6k here, prices aren't half reasonable.

Perhaps it's more where you live that's the issue ?

But one thing I have learnt is trust local recommendations, use who other people use and whilst they may not be the cheapest they'll be popular for a reason

Last edited:
We've experienced this again recently. We needed some relatively simple building work doing on a property we're renovating. Guys would turn up, ask questions, take some measurements and then disappear into the ether never to be heard of again.

In the end, a friend asked a chap who's done lots of work for them to come and see us. He's perma-busy and not the cheapest but at least we've seen enough of his work know he can do a good job.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Adverts or yellow pages are a bad start ,better to ask a neighbour who has done a good job for them.Or ask someone in a different trade who you already use to recommend someone
Take photos prior to start of work.
Confirm all instructions in writing / e mail ,
Be a prompt payer , we always pay on completion before chap leaves driveway. Workmen flock to prompt payers

It's taken some years but we now have a stable of ''tame'' tradesmen. The only downside is they are so in demand they're usually booking 2-3 months ahead.

Check-a-trade is a good start.

I would ask the local estate agents for recommendations, if more than one suggest the same company you could be on to a winner.
Everest, I would rather have greaseproof paper at the window. My neighbour had them to replace a front door that really only needed new seals but they wouldn't listen.
So after a long delay the big van appears and the door together with unit it sits in is fitted, except that it doesn't, so they leave it leaning in the gap and clear off. Thus leaving a couple of 80 year olds in a draughty insecure house.
I contacted Everest and had words, another gang appeared within an hour and did what they could. The unit was reordered and this time it fitted, however the door doesn't lock properly. I offered to rip the company a new one, but the oldies had had enough and refused to let the company anywhere near the place.

Playing Devil's Advocate...

When you ask for a quote, the tradesman will be aware that you'll be asking other tradesmen for a quote, so he may not get the work. If the time and effort put into producing the quote eats into his profit, it won't be worth his while.

Most people expect "free" quotes but the cost will just be hidden somewhere else though that's no help to an unsuccessful bidder.

Try offering £200 for a quote, but you'll have to provide the spreadsheet to ensure that the quote is as detailed as you require.

Or just go with the free all-in quote from someone recommended by a neighbour.

I think you should torture them, perhaps word will get out and you will get better service, just tell the neighbours you have been known to kidnap tradies who ignore you also.
Not a bad idea, however, some are Pikies form the local Traveler site at the bottom of the hill posing as bone-fide tradspersons. I'll just have to be sure I'm pedicuring the 'right' cowboy.

Haha, cheers mate but I'd suggest Aviemore is a touch further than you'd like. Nah, the guy I use locally here will do the job and after paying his rates, etc, him and his missus will get the place for a weekends shagging. Everyone wins.
I have found, to my cost, that half the so called so called tradesmen in the Highlands area are drunken ckufing chancers.

Friend of mine runs a flooring business.

Remediation of botch jobs or all too often rip out and refit of wooden floors a very lucrative source of work especially those where he was initially asked, and declined, to "just sand it flat again and refinish"

He tells them the dreadful truth in clear but sympathetic terms and waits patiently.

Second visit often involves a now very upset female and an extremley grim faced bloke.

It's taken some years but we now have a stable of ''tame'' tradesmen. The only downside is they are so in demand they're usually booking 2-3 months ahead.

Check-a-trade is a good start.
That's the local story here as well. In my area, there is a sort of ad-hoc "trade-team" whose members live amongst us, so God help them if they go all cnuty on people...which they don't.
They don't advertise as they do not have to, but if we give them plenty notice there is rarely an issue, and if they are too busy they/he will say..so worth waiting on until it's our slot. Local recommendations is the way to go in my opinion. We had a new ceiling in the kitchen done just two weeks back with integral lighting etc, and the joiner arranged the leccy, and the plasterer etc. One of their wives has a house cleaning business and she came in to clean up after them. Washed down and hoovered up. Consequently we recommended her to two old folks locally for a weekly domestic scrub up, so she gained too. Win win.
Excellent job she did too.They dare not let each other down which costs money, so they dont as a rule.
I can only suggest to the OP he asks around maybe at DIY stores etc who they know, and rate.

ugly

LE
You're not wrong, MrBane. Steer clear of this prick:

He'll charge you a million squillion quid & spend half the day rescuing a kitten or something like that & the other half talking to his f*cking equipment, the mental c*nt. I think he's still in business only because he gets a load of bent local govt contracts.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have found, to my cost, that half the so called so called tradesmen in the Highlands area are drunken ckufing chancers.
This. There is so much work to here though that the good ones just don't care. FML.

You're not wrong, MrBane. Steer clear of this prick:

He'll charge you a million squillion quid & spend half the day rescuing a kitten or something like that & the other half talking to his f*cking equipment, the mental c*nt. I think he's still in business only because he gets a load of bent local govt contracts.

One of our neighbours makes a few bob fixing up work done for lower quotes. Usually comes out quite a lot more than the original quote he gives.

Local recommendation and once you find one good trade they'll usually give names in other ones.

As has been said it is their interest to pass on reliable types.

I own a place in a gated develoment in Lincoln. There are covenants that definitely me the paint colour so it makes some sense to get all of the houses painted at once. When I lived in the place 14 years ago, I was on the management company and I arranged this. There are 50 or so houses, most three story and some big windows, so painting them all is worth good money (nearing £50k). I got a good contractor who worked safely on towers and passed on the paint manufacture’s warranty.

It’s was painted again two years ago. In their wisdom, the management company selected a one man band to avoid having to pay VAT. The cnut worked off ladders too. The work is truly shocking; no prep, so the paint is peeling already. And, of course, no enforceable warranty.

What idiot lets 50k of work to a contractor with a turnover of less than the VAT threshold?