Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are so many Britons emigrating?

Bikini_Black

Old-Salt
The grass is always greener. They'll be back.

Thing that does my head in is several of my chums have trained as doctors, nurses, teachers etc, and as soon as they have qualified, upped sticks for sunny australia, for bad jokes, lots of swearing, dreadful "beer", deadly spiders/snakes and skin cancer.

actually now I think about it, if all these people are keen to leave our mighty and glorious sceptered isles to go to australia of all places, where rick astley is still quite possibly in the charts, are we not better off without them?

we can just consider it stealth transportation of mongs! (same rules apply to spain).

As I said earlier, I really can't understand why people who can't be arrsed to save and responsibly plan for their future over here spend half their time complaining about everything only to scrimp and save to take themselves off to someplace they don't even know to live with people they can't even understand.

Glad to see I'm not the only person around here who reckons we'll probably be better off without having to listen to all the constant whinging of those people who have been unable to make a proper go of things back home.

canteen_cowboy said:
semper said:
have you been round the world yourself ? CC

your questioning style is almost hostile and scornful

"rest of the dribble left out etc " if you have been round the world I am willing to debate and compare points, if you haven't then it is easy to criticise from the cheap seats

you made a statement about countries that you have visited, not lived in/worked in but visited and then compare them to the UK.

there is no reasonable way you can make those assumptions by talking to locals over coffee. It has nothing to do with whether these countries are or are not better than UK it is the fact you state "you are certain about it".

welll I am certain about it, I am a realist, I see too many expats leaving for another country after a Holiday thinking its always like that, I like to dig more and the best people to ask is the Locals AND Expats.

The best way to consider a move to another country is to do a lot of research, at the moment there is NO reason for me to move to another Country as I can see no benefit to me, there are gains and there are loss at the moment , they are about even for my circumstances.

canteen_cowboy said:
edited to add have you been around the world like you claim or have you just been on a holiday that claims to be "around the world"?but is just a series of flights to different countries

I have been on a round the world ticket. yes I have actually been to these countries, previously I have spent a total of 12 weeks in the USA, of course I have been round Europe, but that is something else, Isreal and Africa. also.

I don't know where you have been to, I dont know what you look for in your travels. in all probability I am looking for different things from you.

Post above gone missing? :twisted:

It's a fair point to make that many people who take off for "greener pastures" simply base their decision on a whim, promoted by a television show, what they've read in a tabloid or what they heard from a man in the pub. Generally I believe these people to be the sort who expect everything in return for contributing the least.

Whilst travellers only ever get a superficial insight into the country in which they are travelling, surely it has to be better than no insight at all. Surely some information is far better than none?

For example, if I hadn't spent a bit of time in Australia for myself (and I love the country and the people I hasten to add) I would never have been aware that violent crime is running around 4 times the level of that in the UK, that unemployment is far higher and that inflation is roughly twice that of back home. If people spent half as much time checking out where they are planning to live as they spend checking out a second hand car they are thinking of buying for their missus, they'd realise these things.

Also seems to me that the queues of people allegedly forming for the exit are generally retired, and those who aren't retired are simply deluding themselves that their inability to get anywhere is everyone's fault but their own.

hairyhandbag

War Hero
semper said:
canteen_cowboy said:
semper said:
have you been round the world yourself ? CC

your questioning style is almost hostile and scornful

"rest of the dribble left out etc " if you have been round the world I am willing to debate and compare points, if you haven't then it is easy to criticise from the cheap seats

you made a statement about countries that you have visited, not lived in/worked in but visited and then compare them to the UK.

there is no reasonable way you can make those assumptions by talking to locals over coffee. It has nothing to do with whether these countries are or are not better than UK it is the fact you state "you are certain about it".

welll I am certain about it, I am a realist, I see too many expats leaving for another country after a Holiday thinking its always like that, I like to dig more and the best people to ask is the Locals AND Expats.

The best way to consider a move to another country is to do a lot of research, at the moment there is NO reason for me to move to another Country as I can see no benefit to me, there are gains and there are loss at the moment , they are about even for my circumstances.

canteen_cowboy said:
edited to add have you been around the world like you claim or have you just been on a holiday that claims to be "around the world"?but is just a series of flights to different countries

I have been on a round the world ticket. yes I have actually been to these countries, previously I have spent a total of 12 weeks in the USA, of course I have been round Europe, but that is something else, Isreal and Africa. also.

I don't know where you have been to, I dont know what you look for in your travels. in all probability I am looking for different things from you.

Like the majority of people on this site a lot of us did not have a choice where we went as the government tended to send us to places not quite on the tourist map (and are still doing so) without a prior resevation . And you are right in one respect, we did look for "things different from you". (Normally bangy stuff, and locals who did not appreciate our way of life)

Happy Holidays :wink:

hh

hairyhandbag said:
Like the majority of people on this site a lot of us did not have a choice where we went as the government tended to send us to places not quite on the tourist map (and are still doing so) without a prior resevation . And you are right in one respect, we did look for "things different from you". (Normally bangy stuff, and locals who did not appreciate our way of life)

hh

That's not fair!

Semper tried twice to join up...granted both times rejected because his ears are shiat and he had a toddler hanging in his kecks but he did try...that surely counts for something.

hairyhandbag

War Hero
ctauch said:
hairyhandbag said:

hh

That's not fair!

Semper tried twice to join up...granted both times rejected because his ears are shiat and he had a toddler hanging in his kecks but he did try...that surely counts for something.

My friend to redress the balance I hereby declare a state of war exists between the United Kingdom and the Cook Islands (Uninhabited ones) on every second Tuesday between 1000 and 1130 (not including Naafi breaks)
And the the ACF shall be the vanguard.

hh

I'm forever bad mouthing this country but it's not the country that's at fault it's those that govern it. England is beautiful. South of Oxford that is! A unit with a ****** for a CO is deemed a crap unit. Post in a decent CO and the unit is then everyones first choice of posting.

I'm starting to warm to Cameron. He's young and has said some stupid stuff in the past but he's becoming a good Tory leader IMveryHO. Importantly, I think he's actually a leader. Something this country has been without for some time. He's young and has got a lot to give. I'd give him a chance. At least he's starting to talk the talk with 'moral neutrality' and all that.

R.A.T.S

Swinger
Heres my thrupence.......

Instead of whingeing and whining about the state of the gaff, why dont people get off thier fat arrses and do somthing about it!

Those people who sit back and Gob off about the decline of our Great Nation and yet fail to take part in the political system, be it voting, canvasing or even protesting should think twice before they open thier traps.

Its all very well to sit there in outrage at crime rates, NHS figures, Education short comings and whatever else, but we only have ourselves to blame for most of it. We have been too easily distracted by the benefits of a strong economy (its ok I can afford a PS3, plasma screen, car or even a house, b*llocks to the fact that the country is falling apart ill watch Eastenders or I.A.C.G.M.O.O.H or whatever other rubbish passes for television) and let the "proffesional politicians" and other enablers fill thier boots at the cost of the tax payers, and fanny around within Government un checked by the opposition (because they are virtually the same).
Why should they be trusted to run the country?
These people dont have to live in the real world, like the rest of us, and are not as affected by the poor, namby pamby leftist decisions they make.
But we elected them and its our fault for not providing an alternative.

Or you could say that things arent that bad (I can afford a PS3, a plasma screen, car and a house etc) I live in relative saftey, get free health care and education, and I eat every night.

If you dont like it, Change it.

Bandalong

Old-Salt
The quality of fanny over here is better than back home.

Also being a fat middleged balding perv is not a barrier to the fairer sex.

Thats why I left.

Bandalong said:

Thats why I left.

It's just a shame you had to pack yourself with the white stuff to get a spot in your particular Utopia.

Bandalong

Old-Salt
Ozduke said:
Bandalong said:

Thats why I left.

It's just a shame you had to pack yourself with the white stuff to get a spot in your particular Utopia.

You must have me confused with an Ozzie tourist.

I'd like to know how many immigrants have emigrated again, "cos it's sh1t"?!

I'd also like to know why immigrants has got more Ms than emigrants!!!!

B

Biscuits_AB

semper said:
Hello

I will put in my 10p worth.

I have just come back from my round the world travels, I have visited Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, North Korea, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii and Hollywood Los Angeles.
I will say one thing for certain, there is no country like England, which in spite of its problem is a far far better place than some countries I have been to.

Utopia is a country that does not exist.

I can say few things about Australia and New Zealand, one of the most popular destination for expats.

Australia
Pros:
laid back locals
sunny
better exchange rate
nice cities
beaches
stunning countryside
sking and sunbathing on the day
unusual animals

cons:
expensive housing
excessive heat
food more expensive especially in the outback with frieght charges added
cost of living, council tax etc more expensive in the outback
outside the cities is miles and miles of nothing
little history
moaning natives who gets p1ssed and blame the whites for their problems instead of empowering themselves, quite depressing really
lethal snakes, crocodiles, insects
low population density and long distance to other locations
suicidal kangaroos (they can smash your car up seriously)
the long distance from the UK can be psychologically difficult

all in all Australia is not a terribly interesting place to go to, I would not go back.

New Zealand
Pros:
Beautfiul countryside
Rotorua geysers is worth a look, it would take you a long time to see everything
Local Maori cuture and history is very evident also for most part integrated well
Waitangi and Russell are very interesting and green as well as historic
beautiful Kauri forest and ninety mile beach
laid back and friendly people
very clean
unusual animals
NZ is like one big parkland
good exchange rate
temperate climate

Cons:
low population density
the long distance from the UK can be psychologically difficult
some Maoris moan and blame the whites for their problems, depressing
expensive housing
cost of living not much different from the UK

I much prefered New Zealand to Australia and would like to go back to visit but I would not stay.

now the UK

I do know we do have problem which I am sure many of you are aware of, its too easy to look at the negative.

IMO I think the UK has these following

pros:
Lots of history, 10,000 years of it, National Trust and CADW Scottish/English Heritage has many properties for you to see.
lovely cities to see such as Oxford, Stratford upon avon, Liverpool, Chester, Bath, Wiltshire, Stonehenge, Avebury, Edinburgh, Cambridge and many many others all fanstatsic cities with 1000+ years of history
a different culture in Europe only 2+ hours flight away
a variety of folk traditions and villages & Towns no two is the same
beautiful scenery hadrians wall, peak district, south downs, white cliffs of Dover, Scottish highlands, lake district and the Welsh hills all worth going time and time again
many of its cities has a buzzing culture nightlife scene unmatched anywhere
real ale and many different types & styles
strong and resilient economy, democracy and rule of law and most importantly very stable
freedom of expression even derision of politicians without risk of immediate jail and death
good transport links and not too far from anywhere interesting due to the UK being densely populated you could manage without a car if you had to, unlike USA. Canada, Australia and New Zealand where a car is a must outside of the cities
the English language
the NHS
British Bobby

cons:
high petrol cost
high tax
uncontrolled immigration
incompetent politicians (there are some good ones but not enough)
high utility bills
culture of spin and 15 minutes of fame through Big Brother, X factor etc
yob gang sub culture
declining standards
education standards slipping

yet in spite of these problems I still love England and haing been to all these other countries round the world including USA Canada as well as Europe I have come to cherish England and I do think it is worth defending and many of the above problems are not irresolvable, they can be overcome with the right leadership and guidance as well as us Brits taking a stand and making a difference.
there are much worse countries to go to, ask yourself why do many immigrants wants to come to England and the UK if it is so crap ?

the above list of pros and cons are not complete and exhausive, they reflect my perspective which many here may share, there will be those that do not, I am British and proud of it and I look forward to coming home when I fly back.

You're in the cadets aren't you?

I think part of the problem maybe that people really do believe we can no longer do anything about it.

The government will never listen to anything or anyone it does not want to hear.

They will use the force of the law to prevent opposition. Remember you can be arrested, finger printed and have your DNA stolen by the police for the "crime" of reading out a list of the names of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Remember, you have to have permission of one of their political commissars to protest anywhere near where the scum.

Why do the enemy within want us all to have ID cards? It is not for our benefit, but theirs. An excellent tool for them to start keeping tabs on everyone at all times. remember the enemy within is full of people who would have been willing to see this country under the control of the Soviet Union. Now the USSR has be binned, their next objective is to sell us out to the EU. All the time forbidding the people to have any say in the matter.

So for as long as the traitors are still in government there is no hope. Meanwhile, they have two more years to complete the destruction of the UK and everything it stands for. I am not sure that any future government will be able to stop the rot that permiates throughout the politicised police, civil service, teaching professions etc. Why do you think the Lairbour Party are so anti-forces? They have yet to subvert the forces of the crown to their way of thinking, so they starve them of funds, block the career of any senior rank who tells them the truth etc.

So as you can see I believe that for a lot of people, you know the ones that actually have to pay for the country not parasites like Annakey or Sven, short dragging the c*nts out into the street and hanging them from the lamposts, there is nothing anyone can do anymore.

B

Biscuits_AB

There's too many who have made careers/profit out of what's went on in this country for the past decade for us to be in a position to change anything now. I'm not normally so dispondant (spell check), but the bad news is just constant and it truly does get you down. When you see how we are being treated by those who are either corrupt or who cover up corruption (same thing really) and who have essentially told the people of this country to f*ck off, they will have their pay rise (and there's bugger all we can do about it) whilst they continue to fail us, I do feel that I no longer wish to live here. I finish a project next year and hopefully when that's done, I might just be able to pass the acceptance criteria for immigration. I just can't see this place getting any better and like you, I want better for my kids.

I just dread to think what it's going to be like here when my kids are grown up. Everything is over priced and you get f*ck all in the way of 'services' and what you do get, you get at a price, that price being the freedom you once had to do what you wanted to within the law. Councils taking people to court for over filling there bins, councils using all sorts of ways and means to keep tabs on us, politicians scamming what they can, the Governemnet failing the entire country and now we are being told we should expect even more in the way of price rises? How the f*ck are pensioners going to survive this? We still see our taxes being spent on keeping the Chav classes in 'benefits' yet young blokes who've lost limbs are told there's £50k to see you through the rest of your life, now be grateful and do one.

Just look at the sort of people whorun councils and services. Small men who've crept to the top and by f*ck are they going to exercise their will. It's the same throughout most of the public sector. Second rate yes men who want to surround themselves with other yes men. There's a distinct lack of moral courage amongst those who effectively control you lives and they want more and more control over you. Where the f*ck are we going?

Nigh on daily there's a kid being knifed to death. Other's get away with murder (literally) and the policing is having little effect (unless you believe the propaganda), as the judicial system won't get tough. It's out of f*cking control.

We need regime change. But will the Tories be any better? Will it just be a case of Labour having done the Tories dirty work before they get in?

We're skint. Iraq/Afghanistan are helping to break us financially. The Welfare State is now on welfare.

Biscuits_AB said:
There's too many who have made careers/profit out of what's went on in this country for the past decade for us to be in a position to change anything now. I'm not normally so dispondant (spell check), but the bad news is just constant and it truly does get you down. When you see how we are being treated by those who are either corrupt or who cover up corruption (same thing really) and who have essentially told the people of this country to f*ck off, they will have their pay rise (and there's bugger all we can do about it) whilst they continue to fail us, I do feel that I no longer wish to live here. I finish a project next year and hopefully when that's done, I might just be able to pass the acceptance criteria for immigration. I just can't see this place getting any better and like you, I want better for my kids.

I just dread to think what it's going to be like here when my kids are grown up. Everything is over priced and you get f*ck all in the way of 'services' and what you do get, you get at a price, that price being the freedom you once had to do what you wanted to within the law. Councils taking people to court for over filling there bins, councils using all sorts of ways and means to keep tabs on us, politicians scamming what they can, the Governemnet failing the entire country and now we are being told we should expect even more in the way of price rises? How the f*ck are pensioners going to survive this? We still see our taxes being spent on keeping the Chav classes in 'benefits' yet young blokes who've lost limbs are told there's £50k to see you through the rest of your life, now be grateful and do one.

Just look at the sort of people whorun councils and services. Small men who've crept to the top and by f*ck are they going to exercise their will. It's the same throughout most of the public sector. Second rate yes men who want to surround themselves with other yes men. There's a distinct lack of moral courage amongst those who effectively control you lives and they want more and more control over you. Where the f*ck are we going?

Nigh on daily there's a kid being knifed to death. Other's get away with murder (literally) and the policing is having little effect (unless you believe the propaganda), as the judicial system won't get tough. It's out of f*cking control.

We need regime change. But will the Tories be any better? Will it just be a case of Labour having done the Tories dirty work before they get in?

We're skint. Iraq/Afghanistan are helping to break us financially. The Welfare State is now on welfare.

I think, to be honest, that's the reason that a lot of people, myself included, are looking to go. I don't want my miniture me growing up here unless things radicaly change, which i can't see happening.

My Mrs and I are bringing him up, as far as we're concerned, with the right moral background but it's when he gets to school, they start filling them full of the "rights" culture, and he starts to mix with people that I wouldn't want him to that worries me. I'm not being snobbish, (i'm originaly from a ropey council estate myself) but certain groups of people are one of the many factors that are dragging this, once great, country down.

We live in a small valleys town and are beginning to see the chav invasion take hold here too.

I'm also sick of being taxed up to the cravat to support people who, by and large, simply can't be arrsed to work for a living.

Having visited Alberta, Canada and seen the clean schools with flags flying outside, clean streets and met, the predominately, friendly people I know where I want him to be. It's not without it's problems (I've seen them during a ridealong with an expat copper who used to be in my farce) but they're not a fraction of those we have here.

Right, soapbox away, rant over...and breath.

B

Biscuits_AB

I try like f*ck to avoid watching the news. I just don't want to know what these c*nts are going to do next, but sadly I have to listen to it in the morning when the alarm goes off. This morning it was an 11% rise in the price of schoolmeals and car tax to increase to somewhere in the region of £280 odd? Can't remember what it was yesterday. It's constant. I don't object to paying taxes but, whilst we the tax payer don't even get our money's worth, some chav c*nt is raking in benefits and, if they live in the Loony Boroughs like f*cking Dundee, they get free food (paid for by the tax payer) if they try to give up smoking, whilst the rest of the country did so by just using it's common sense and will power.

The country is skint and lunatic initiatives like this are welcomed with open arms.

We need a f*cking revolution.