Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are so many Britons emigrating?

raggedy

Old-Salt
Say what you like, when you emigrate you are just a stranger in another man,s country. I,ll soldier on in whats left of my own land, it,s still the best place in the world in spite of this God awful government.

Perhaps if a few more people saved up to ensure a more comfortable future in their home environment, instead of simply saving to emigrate, they probably wouldn't feel the need to emigrate in the first place.

I've known far too many people pack their bags for the promise of a "better life" only to realise that the grass is seldom greener, and they are only taking their troubles with them.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, plenty of opportunity to emigrate, yet enough money to remain perfectly comfortable in the country that I love amongst family that I would miss. I get plenty of opportunity to travel, yet I'm always glad to be coming home.

raggedy

Old-Salt
Mate, I,ve BEEN out, seen a hell of a lot of the world and it,s people and that,s why I,m staying on, "Wi ma ain folk!", and No I,m not Scottish.

raggedy said:
Mate, I,ve BEEN out, seen a hell of a lot of the world and it,s people and that,s why I,m staying on, "Wi ma ain folk!", and No I,m not Scottish.

That's more than apparent. The Scots know the difference between a comma and an apostrophy.

raggedy

Old-Salt
Yeah well, I went to a lousy school, but I don,t set myself up as a latter day punctuation critic.

annakey said:
Do none of you realise that although you call yourselves expats, just because you are British and used to have an empire, you are infact immigrants in your new countries? I am acutely aware of this and try to behave in a way that I am neither a burden nor need special care in France. This cannot be said of the majority of brits here. Many do not declare themselves, their earnings or their pensions here for fear of having to pay into their new country but are happy to make free of the facilities. Many cannot or do not make the effort to learn the language and expect it all to be done in English.

LOL

Besides, a load of Brits who've upped-sticks, landed themselves in some foreign hell-hole, and now desperately miss Marmite are unlikely to admit what idiots they've been. They'll put a brave face on it, lie about the 'best decision I ever made!' while secretly buying HP Sauce off the internet!

Then there's the question of disloyalty. These people cashed in on the bloated UK housing market, squirreled their money away abroad and now slag off their country of origin. I don't want such people in the UK, and the idea of them looking longingly at Marmite on the internet makes me laugh. Let them stew in their foreign juice (and slap a damn great export tax on Marmite).

How many of these happy souls take the first flight home, to take advantage of the NHS at the first sign of a sniffy nose!

Bloody deserters!

iamaviking

Old-Salt
im actually thinking of getting citizenship in another country and then coming back to UK and claiming political asylum for my wedge of cash, of course i would have forgotten to speak English in this time which should make my return easier.

then i might have five kids and go and live in Poland and live off the UK
child benefit ill claim.

when this runs out i intend to become an international terrorist and get wounded by the security forces and claim another massive wedge, that is after my repetative strain injury claim for typing this out is finalised.

Thats why im offski.

pyrogenica said:
Perhaps if a few more people saved up to ensure a more comfortable future in their home environment, instead of simply saving to emigrate, they probably wouldn't feel the need to emigrate in the first place.

I've known far too many people pack their bags for the promise of a "better life" only to realise that the grass is seldom greener, and they are only taking their troubles with them.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, plenty of opportunity to emigrate, yet enough money to remain perfectly comfortable in the country that I love amongst family that I would miss. I get plenty of opportunity to travel, yet I'm always glad to be coming home.

lot of sense spoke there :wink: I'll drink to that!

Hello

I will put in my 10p worth.

I have just come back from my round the world travels, I have visited Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, North Korea, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii and Hollywood Los Angeles.
I will say one thing for certain, there is no country like England, which in spite of its problem is a far far better place than some countries I have been to.

Utopia is a country that does not exist.

I can say few things about Australia and New Zealand, one of the most popular destination for expats.

Australia
Pros:
laid back locals
sunny
better exchange rate
nice cities
beaches
stunning countryside
sking and sunbathing on the day
unusual animals

cons:
expensive housing
excessive heat
food more expensive especially in the outback with frieght charges added
cost of living, council tax etc more expensive in the outback
outside the cities is miles and miles of nothing
little history
moaning natives who gets p1ssed and blame the whites for their problems instead of empowering themselves, quite depressing really
lethal snakes, crocodiles, insects
low population density and long distance to other locations
suicidal kangaroos (they can smash your car up seriously)
the long distance from the UK can be psychologically difficult

all in all Australia is not a terribly interesting place to go to, I would not go back.

New Zealand
Pros:
Beautfiul countryside
Rotorua geysers is worth a look, it would take you a long time to see everything
Local Maori cuture and history is very evident also for most part integrated well
Waitangi and Russell are very interesting and green as well as historic
beautiful Kauri forest and ninety mile beach
laid back and friendly people
very clean
unusual animals
NZ is like one big parkland
good exchange rate
temperate climate

Cons:
low population density
the long distance from the UK can be psychologically difficult
some Maoris moan and blame the whites for their problems, depressing
expensive housing
cost of living not much different from the UK

I much prefered New Zealand to Australia and would like to go back to visit but I would not stay.

now the UK

I do know we do have problem which I am sure many of you are aware of, its too easy to look at the negative.

IMO I think the UK has these following

pros:
Lots of history, 10,000 years of it, National Trust and CADW Scottish/English Heritage has many properties for you to see.
lovely cities to see such as Oxford, Stratford upon avon, Liverpool, Chester, Bath, Wiltshire, Stonehenge, Avebury, Edinburgh, Cambridge and many many others all fanstatsic cities with 1000+ years of history
a different culture in Europe only 2+ hours flight away
a variety of folk traditions and villages & Towns no two is the same
beautiful scenery hadrians wall, peak district, south downs, white cliffs of Dover, Scottish highlands, lake district and the Welsh hills all worth going time and time again
many of its cities has a buzzing culture nightlife scene unmatched anywhere
real ale and many different types & styles
strong and resilient economy, democracy and rule of law and most importantly very stable
freedom of expression even derision of politicians without risk of immediate jail and death
good transport links and not too far from anywhere interesting due to the UK being densely populated you could manage without a car if you had to, unlike USA. Canada, Australia and New Zealand where a car is a must outside of the cities
the English language
the NHS
British Bobby

cons:
high petrol cost
high tax
uncontrolled immigration
incompetent politicians (there are some good ones but not enough)
high utility bills
culture of spin and 15 minutes of fame through Big Brother, X factor etc
yob gang sub culture
declining standards
education standards slipping

yet in spite of these problems I still love England and haing been to all these other countries round the world including USA Canada as well as Europe I have come to cherish England and I do think it is worth defending and many of the above problems are not irresolvable, they can be overcome with the right leadership and guidance as well as us Brits taking a stand and making a difference.
there are much worse countries to go to, ask yourself why do many immigrants wants to come to England and the UK if it is so crap ?

the above list of pros and cons are not complete and exhausive, they reflect my perspective which many here may share, there will be those that do not, I am British and proud of it and I look forward to coming home when I fly back.

I can understand why so many people want to leave Great Britain because I wanted to myself. But I believe this country is still the best place to live in the world and I never want to leave it.

If you choose to leave let it be for reasons other than anger and spite because you'll find that every country has it's own problems very similar to our own. Corruption from the top being the main concern. While Westminster is full of those feathering their own nests, don't be surprised to find this where ever you roam.

If your money stretches further abroad and you can buy a better house for your money then go for it. But don't regret it when you become homesick for the little things in life we take for granted.

I certainly wouldn't leave England because of the weather, luckily for me I like the rain and cold!

SantaSpud

War Hero
Why we want to leave Britain is obvious! |Once upon a time we used to be the country who was looked up to and one we felt proud of and we had a uniqueness about us with the good old english chippy amongst many others. Now, we have very little to be proud of, England was only ever England because of its people but now we go to the chippy and find out its run by bulgarians. I went to the lake district last week to find that there were no brits in the part i was staying. Yes i would miss those little things if i moved away but by god i would have those bigger things to make up for it!

In a sentence this country is both broken morally and in spirit and broke financially.
Personally I have had enough of being part of a failed social experiment that has lasted 11 years.
None of us here on this site hate this country, some of us have been abroad as part of the 'ethical foriegn policy' to come back to the third world public services in what is supposed to be the 4th richest country on the face of this planet.
We pay fortunes in taxes, direct and indirect, to collect vouchers at our supermarkets for sports kit and computers for our kid's schools.
We take our lives in our hands risking MRSA to visit mates and relatives in hosptal to see 'Donated by wherever Rotary/Lions/any other good guys Club' on life-saving equipment that should be provided by the said taxes.
We know from our kit, and the lack of it, how much we are held in esteem by our political masters and how much they spend on us.
Our roads are amongst the worst in the western world, just try riding a pushbike or motorbike, then you will notice how sh1te they are.
My council tax has doubled for less local services and the local plod are totally ineffective (but very diverse).
Our political classes are a disgrace that would fit in perfectly in some failed African state
I paid £10k tax last year and I'm fcuked if I can see where it went, I am off to France where I will be happy to pay my 30% tax because I can see exactly where it goes and who it benefits.
Where I will be happy to adapt, speak the language and fit in, unlike anyone that arrives in this country of ours at the end of their rainbow.
So ask me again why I am going? £150 a month council tax or 30 Euros? Decent public services or the third world that ours has become? Hmm? Tricky that.

It is easier to move round the EU than to move to the US or Canada, I have heard Spain is a good choice. its not far to fly or drivem English is nearly teh Lingua francia of Europe at the moment.

at the moment I do not wnat to leave England, I intend to stay and do my bit to make it better, being part of the solution is better than being part of the problem, which is why I am in the ACF.

semper said:
Hello

I have just come back from my round the world travels, I have visited Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, North Korea, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii and Hollywood Los Angeles.
I will say one thing for certain, there is no country like England, which in spite of its problem is a far far better place than some countries I have been to.
rest of dribble left out....

Tell me this? how long did you stay in these countries, long enough to assess their proper lifestyles etc? or was it in a hotel whilst on a package tour and just a couple of days/weeks in each place?to have visited so many countries in just over 2 months and make statements like that....

to make a judgment on any country you would need to have been there at least a few months IMHO to say it is better or worse than anywhere else.

canteen_cowboy said:
semper said:
Hello

rest of dribble left out....

Tell me this? how long did you stay in these countries, long enough to assess their proper lifestyles etc? or was it in a hotel whilst on a package tour and just a couple of days/weeks in each place?to have visited so many countries in just over 2 months and make statements like that....

to make a judgment on any country you would need to have been there at least a few months IMHO to say it is better or worse than anywhere else.

I have travelled independently, I have spent just under 3 months travelling, during that time I have taken the opportunity to speak with the locals over a coffee or just general chatting, I avoid package holidays as you would be cocconed from the locals and the company will only want to show you the best of their country, I deliberately went to out of way places as many non touristy places as I can, you learn far more about the country than Postcard shots Tours. I have done the postcard bit, I would also like to get 110% out of my holiday by learning about the culture and interacting with locals.

unfortunately I was not able to stay long in each country to make an independent assessment so the next best thing is to ask the Locals as they know far more than any research I can do, their opinions carries far more weight in my view, from that I base my conclusions.

have you been round the world yourself ? CC

your questioning style is almost hostile and scornful

"rest of the dribble left out etc " if you have been round the world I am willing to debate and compare points, if you haven't then it is easy to criticise from the cheap seats

so in fact that is not your opinion, it the opinion of locals about their own countries? then you make the England is better than their place?

we all talk b*llocks once in a while, but you appear do it a lot, either give your opinion or don't, but don't make statements like above about places that you have visited only for a VERY short time and talked to a few people then compare them to UK.

semper said:
have you been round the world yourself ? CC

your questioning style is almost hostile and scornful

"rest of the dribble left out etc " if you have been round the world I am willing to debate and compare points, if you haven't then it is easy to criticise from the cheap seats

I have lived in countries around the world not just visited for a few days/weeks, there is no debate you can put up that i would partake in with you about this subject.
people go on holidays all the time to visit countries.

you made a statement about countries that you have visited, not lived in/worked in but visited and then compare them to the UK.

there is no reasonable way you can make those assumptions by talking to locals over coffee. It has nothing to do with whether these countries are or are not better than UK it is the fact you state "you are certain about it".

edited to add have you been around the world like you claim or have you just been on a holiday that claims to be "around the world"?but is just a series of flights to different countries

Latest Threads