Why are problems always in the hardest places......

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Alsacien, Feb 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Under the shower in this case.... tiles, glass, door, wall mounts, shower base, shower base support - all had to be ripped out.

Temp fix in place, big job to sort properly.......then I get to clean the mastic off everything and start all over again.:frustrated:
  2. Any chance of rerouting the pipe to give better access if it happens again?
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Unfortunately not.
    Problem traced to a draft coming in from the outside (its -18 here), and its a chalet. I guess the wood is contracted on the exterior - which means pulling it all off and putting a membrane in when it warms up a bit....then I reckon I'll drill loads of holes from the outside and "lag" the pipes in expanding foam.

I drained the water before I left the place a few days ago, I forgot to also drain from the cellar boiler into the house.....so my fault I guess.
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Nice stuff! Does the plastic perform better when frozen, e.g. enough flex?

Cannot get to them with anything more that a drilled hole though.
    These pipes are behind a 6x4 inch piece of timber (when accessed from the outside) that forms the start of the chalet bit on top of a concrete base. From the inside they are behind tiles, tile mounting board and waterproof chipboard - inside the sauna........
  5. My man says go and buy 20mm MDPE pipe and fittings it is indestructible - make sure it is the blue one NOT the black one. Mr. Bricolage sells it in 25 metre coils.

Not much warmer here tonight -11.6ºC