Why are hob nail boots so lethal?

I like the improvised 'remove headdress' at 2:19. The bloke on the right smiles initially but by the end he's wondering if that's the way it's supposed to be done.

Why don't they wear Boots DMS...... less chance of skidding. i once skidded under the Pay Table at Pay Parade whilst wearing ammo boots once.... most embarrassing as the pay officer's table went flying as well..... I was a rather large lad in those day, and still am!!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
When things like that happen (horse going nuts, or slipping on ice or other things generally beyond a persons control), do they still get rifted for it? Or just a muttered "twat" through gritted teeth?

3.52 fell to attention, that's a well drilled soldier.

Every time we ended up on our arses in ammos', we just told to "GET ON THE SHAGGIN' HEEL YOU!"
Didn't help at all, if anything it made us slip worse! So I'm totally oblivious to the logic behind it

ACAB

LE
Worst place of all for those 'meet the pavement' moments is the Tower of London (which features heavily in the vid). Followed closely by Windsor Castle. Anyone who slips at Buck House or St James' needs either their inner ear syringed or a drug or alcohol test.

It's not the wearing of ammo boots, it is the drill averse combination of ammo boots and centuries old cobblestones.

ACAB

LE
Bet it messes your busbies up! :wink:

...and does your gun get damaged?
'Busbies'

Give me fucking strength, they are Bearskins, fucking BEARSKINS!

'Gun'

Motherfucker, it is a rifle, not a cocksucking GUN, a fucking RIFLE!

Fuck it, you very nearly got me to bite then didn't you, you bastard!

Did nobody ever consider putting rubber studs in?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you think that's bad consider going base over apex in tackity brogues and a kilt.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
One fo the greatest bollokings I ever had was from a Cpl wearing ammo boots.
He circled me and glided along the guardroom in a beautiful manner.
It was a cross between the moonwalk and bolero.
I just couldn't concentrate on the bolloking.
I swear he actually slid along on one foot and crossed them over to change direction.
He must have invented those heally trainers kids wear.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
When things like that happen (horse going nuts, or slipping on ice or other things generally beyond a persons control), do they still get rifted for it? Or just a muttered "twat" through gritted teeth?
Our Drill Sergeant always shouted "if you don't dig the heel in you'll end up on your backside",( as seen in that video.)
Only he swore a lot and went red quite a bit, he used to wave a big stick around as well, I think he suffered from high blood pressure, I was quite concerned for him, he always seemed to lose his temper. Can't for the life of me work out why. Poor man, probably long departed this world.

Latest Threads