why are gurkha miltary not given the same rights as everyone

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by yannie, May 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi everyone ,

REGARDING GURKHA PAY ETC

can any explain to me why these gentleman are not given the same pay and pension as other squadddies in our miltary.

they do the same work as other people it is about time our government helped these poor people .

kindest regards

yannie

2. its goes back to some treaty signed by the king of nepal many years ago. They also need to get paid the same as the indian gurkhas.
    They dont even pay tax so they get alot more money than their brit counterparts.

3. That is a statement. there are no question marks in your post.
    therefore it is impossible for anyone to respond to it.

If you want to know about gurkha pay I suggest you go to this website.
    http://www.army.mod.uk/brigade_of_gurkhas/
    and stay there until you have read and understood the present situation.

4. If a Ghurka was paid the same as his Brit counterpart, it would completely feck up the economy in Nepal. Something to with being paid more than the Nepalese Prime Minister. I vaguely remember reading it somewhere but am willing to be corrected without a torrid of abuse.

SK

5. Here is a rough view of why the Gurkhas do not receive same rights as Brits:
    Their employment is governed by the tri-partite agreement, between Nepal, India and Britain. It was agreed on when Britain gave up India after WWII. It set out what rates of pay/pension etc could be paid - in order to keep the British Gurkhas and Indian Gurkhas on approximately the same levels of income.

Gurkhas have different leave arrangements - they take 6months every 3 years. This goes back to the time when going home would mean sailing/catching a donkey/walking for most of the journey home.

Gurkhas are allowed to have their wives accompany them for one tour of three years. When they reach C/Sgt they can have their wives with them permanently.

The line spun on pensions is that they are already given above the average national wage. If they were to be given a full British pension, then they would be earning more than the PM etc, and would cause an imbalance in the Nepali society.

Whilst it is always a sore point (regarding the Gurkha pay levels), consider this. If they were to be paid British levels of pay, then there would be no incentive to keep them serving in the British Army. As it is (in broad terms) it is possible to have two battalions (plus the other units in the Bde) for far less than the cost of having these units manned by the British.

I'd be interested to see what other views on this topic are.
    Apologies for any mistakes in this post - I am but an amateur.

6. While the Gurkhas are treated differently to their British counterparts it is hard to explain why this would be.

The tri-partate agreement was signed years ago, and governs most of the treatment of the Gurkhas. This was agreed by the Napliese government of the time and of course the Indian and the British governments of time, these countries being the main recruiters of the Gurkhas. The Singapore Police force also recruits via the British selection system, although the Indians recruit their own.

In take home pay, we all take home about the same. This is because the British Gurkhas are not charged food, accomodation etc. However their pay and terms of service are all governed by the agreement. The government must obey these rules, similar to the hand back of Hong Kong to the Chinese.

There is work afoot to change the terms of service. Already their are Gurkhas who are living in Britain after their service, and the married Gurkhas, ie most of them, will soon be able to bring their wives over full time if they wish.

In terms of pension, remember the cost of living in Nepal is very low. To pay full British pension to a Gurkha living their would seriously mess up their lives. Think how people flock around lottery winners!!! Which could also lead to jealosy within the villages.

Remember only a select few, something like 1 out of 200 odd Gurkhas are sellected from the horde that descend from the mountains for selection. Whilst it would be great to pay them the same, etc we must remember the cultural differences and costs to them if we did.

As I may have mentioned, I have served alongside these great lads and fine soldiers for 6 years now. I know they work hard and well for us and would fight for them to get better terms of engagement if I knew it wouldn't affect them adversely.

Strange how these differences in TACOS only came in to the main stream when the Brigade of Gurkhas moved to UK from HK!!!

7. so if a gurkha gentleman married a british lady . they would suffer finanical hardship in this country .

8. Would they?

If your interested read "The Gurkhas" by John Parker.
    ISBN 0-7472-6243-8 printed by Headline.

Or contact the Gurkha Welfare Trust.

Yanni this thread could go on and on, with what ifs.

As has been said, the TACOS of the Gurkhas is part of the Tri-Partate aggreement. A treaty or, contract in civvie terms, that the (Labour) government signed many years ago. It is also controlled by the Napali and Indian governments.

The British government can not just change the Gurkha TACOS without the agreement being changed, which require the governments of Nepal and India to be involved also.

Full stop.

9. Gurkhas dont suffer financial hardship in this country as an "addition" is paid to them above their actual salary. This brings their pay in line with their British countparts, considering they dont pay tax etc.

The payment of addition was changed several years ago. It used to be paid at a different level dependent on where the soldier was serving. It is now a universal addition, the same wherever they are serving. This caused gripes in places such as Brunei, where Gurkhas were left worse off, but improved the wage in other parts of the world. Swinigs and roundabouts.

Boney

10. correct me if i am wrong,

but i think it would be a much fairer sysyem if ever squaddie depending on rank had the same pay.

i know you are saying the money and allowances are made up to go in line with the miltary.

but in my oppinion , it is like have hand out s and making you feel like a second class person.

it makes you feel that you have to be grateful for another country giving you a job and they are giving you hand outs.

how sad is this , at the end of the day everyone should be proud of what they have achieved not to be made to feel second best.

sorry if you think i am going off track , but people in the uk will not put up with treatment so why should the gurkha squaddies.

11. For God's sake man, do you not have a [shift] key on your computer? Or do you believe capital letters are somehow wrong?

12. Yannie,

We are all volunteers and if the prospective Gurkha weighed the financial odds prior to his application and still applies then we must presume he likes the package.

By Nepalese standards Gurkha pay and pension is very good and they are well looked whilst they are in. The differential in pay has nothing to do with their standing, standard of work or professionalism and everything to do with parity at home.

Places are over subscribed by many times so something must be attractive to them.

13. In terms of Comparative wages back in Nepal, as far as I can understand it the wages of a standard Britsh soldier appearing in a hill farming community would crash the economy.Things like exchange rates and inflation, etc may be confusing but if you make no effort to understand that fact that the price of a house here compared to the price of a house there is differnet, then this thread will get nowhere.

A Soldier here has to save for a number of years before he can buy a house. If a Gurkha soldier was to get the same pay as a british soldier he could (and correrct me on the exact figure) buy five houses or some such on his first pay Cheque

Now unless you feel a collapsed economy in the Indian subcontinent is the best solution to this dilemna, it is evident that this is, if not the "nicest" means of safegaurding the continued emplyment of the Gurkhas, then the best.

Read Chapters 17 and 18 of the John Parker text referred to earlier, entitled "Decimated" and "A new lease of life or none at all"
    There is a wlfare trust section following that but to understand the scenario then 17 and 18 are your greatest aids.

14. oh well it looks like i am going to have to work 25 years to get a pension for me and my guy.

15. Or you could sell yourself for medical research, and leave the cash to him. Everyone's happy.