Why are Crapita and the MoD so useless?

I have wide experience of terrible companies demonstrating utter incompetence, but these losers take the gold medal.

I'm ex-regular, also ex-TA, found out to my astonishment that at 48 I can join, trying to get in to the Yeomanry.

So far Crapita have not just failed in their mission, they have actively undermined it .

If you go on their stupid website and answer honestly, that you are ex-Reg, you get a message saying you can't join. No explanation.

You ring their number, though, and some harassed guy on the call centre (who must go to bed weeping and wake up sobbing) tells you the 'work around' - apply again, using a different email, but this time DON'T TELL IT YOU WERE IN THE REGS! THERE'S A GLITCH!.

OK, I did that. But now, it won[t even register me as a user.

Before Xmas I tried this about 7 times over a couple of days. Got nowhere, I rang the MoD to see if they knew about this shucking fambles.

Only, the MoD phone lines can't take calls from outside due to a fault.... they can't hear you, you can hear them saying 'nothing heard.... nothing heard....' and failing to say anything useful like 'we have had a lot of silent calls today, maybe there's a fault?'

I went to the actual physical High Street recruitment centre, the one I joined up at in 1988, now staffed by Crapita employees (all ex-Regs) who are entirely unable to help because it's all computer based and, as they freely admit, the computer system has been designed by intelligent, switched on people but written and implemented by gibbons with head injuries.

Is this a temporary state of affairs, does anyone know, or is it like Universal Credit and it's just going to go on and on with nobody getting a grip?

@Ninja_Stoker - might be worth forwarding this to the relevant people who are claiming progress :)

@Ninja_Stoker - might be worth forwarding this to the relevant people who are claiming progress :)
I'll copy a quote of the original post onto the DRS feedback thread in the (vain?) hope the software engineers realise that perhaps everything isn't going "according to plan".

It would be inappropriate for me to comment on the Army viewpoint on this, but I can say the sentiment is pretty much tri-service from an applicant's perspective from the feedback I'm passing on.

.. don't .. get .. me ... started ...

When I first joined, the point of contact was a serving soldier not a computer screen /civilian employee of an incompetent private company.

If I was 19 this would be very far from making me feel like I was welcome. Luckily I am an old fart, but presumably the Crapita clowns are putting off a lot of kids just now.

Last edited:
I have wide experience of terrible companies demonstrating utter incompetence, but these losers take the gold medal.

I'm ex-regular, also ex-TA, found out to my astonishment that at 48 I can join, trying to get in to the Yeomanry.

So far Crapita have not just failed in their mission, they have actively undermined it .

If you go on their stupid website and answer honestly, that you are ex-Reg, you get a message saying you can't join. No explanation.

You ring their number, though, and some harassed guy on the call centre (who must go to bed weeping and wake up sobbing) tells you the 'work around' - apply again, using a different email, but this time DON'T TELL IT YOU WERE IN THE REGS! THERE'S A GLITCH!.

OK, I did that. But now, it won[t even register me as a user.

Before Xmas I tried this about 7 times over a couple of days. Got nowhere, I rang the MoD to see if they knew about this shucking fambles.

Only, the MoD phone lines can't take calls from outside due to a fault.... they can't hear you, you can hear them saying 'nothing heard.... nothing heard....' and failing to say anything useful like 'we have had a lot of silent calls today, maybe there's a fault?'

I went to the actual physical High Street recruitment centre, the one I joined up at in 1988, now staffed by Crapita employees (all ex-Regs) who are entirely unable to help because it's all computer based and, as they freely admit, the computer system has been designed by intelligent, switched on people but written and implemented by gibbons with head injuries.

Is this a temporary state of affairs, does anyone know, or is it like Universal Credit and it's just going to go on and on with nobody getting a grip?
The Army Cadet Force will have you at that age even if your fat

When I first joined, the point of contact was a serving soldier not a computer screen /civilian employee of an incompetent private company.

If I was 19 this would be very far from making me feel like I was welcome. Luckily I am an old fart, but presumably the Crapita clowns are putting off a lot of kids just now.

I have given my tale of woe to Private Eye BTW.
I seemed to know more about the recruitment process for a junior then the recruiter who interviewed me.

If you're not already, I'd suggest that you engage directly with the recruiting team at the RY. This should give you (the closest thing from a RY standard to) a human contact who actually cares about getting you into the unit and will guide you through the many & varied poo-traps they've encountered in the current system.

(I saw the "Harmed Service" article mentioning you in PE - sadly, not the only one I suspect ...)

They’re a good bunch but their hands are tied by the crappy system. They’ve not had anyone succeed in getting through without subterfuge or rule bending since Autumn.

Well... DRS went live on 13th November and hasn't worked since. TRHJ was made read-only a week before that. It might have been useful to have both systems working in tandem for a while but doubtless that would have cost money and would have been far too sensible an idea anyway. As a result of which online recruiting has stopped dead. Then to cap it all our Dii crashed on the 24th November and despite calling SPOC daily until we went on Christmas leave no one at our location has been able to log on since. The New Year is looking ******* peachy!

I’m just about to start my last week in an army careers office. I was FTRS, ‘sacked’ to make way for capita staff. My replacement has been in post a week. He has no previous army experience and knowledge. Nice bloke; but no army knowledge. He has a lot to learn in a week.

And DRS isn’t working. It’s not looking good....

I’m just about to start my last week in an army careers office. I was FTRS, ‘sacked’ to make way for capita staff. My replacement has been in post a week. He has no previous army experience and knowledge. Nice bloke; but no army knowledge. He has a lot to learn in a week.

And DRS isn’t working. It’s not looking good....

That sounds like a great example of the creaking, inefficient Public Sector benefiting from the dyanamism and entrepeneurial energy of the Private Sector.