Why are Chinese mooncakes so expensive?

Now if they were actually imported from the moon I might understand. They're made with cheap ingredients (mostly bean paste) and are actually pretty naff.

I remember the first time I tried one and I thought, "Now this is going to be a bit of a treat". How wrong I was. Think slightly gelatinous, sweetened mashed up beans with no discernible flavour covered in a very thin layer of unremarkable pastry and you're just about there. What makes them so hideously pricey? (About £25-£35 for a small box).

Perhaps the Chinese like to pay through the nose for their disappointments.

If they taste crap and are expensive, you could always NOT BUY THEM

I LOL'd at that. My late missus used to buy insanely expensive shoes, costing hundreds of pounds, and proceed to bitch about how they hurt her feet. "My dear, why not buy more ordinary ones that actually fit you?" Radio silence.

I don't and I doubt I ever will. I'm just interested in the marketing philosophy. We're just about to be invaded by thousands of ex-pat Hong Kong Chinese and it will be good to know how their minds work.

For a culture whose sweetmeats and stickies are so shit (I don't think their restaurants even bother trying to tempt customers with the once ubiquitous banana or pineapple fritters anymore) you'd think that they'd either up their game or else radically reduce the prices of the dismal stickies they do turn out.

Mooncakes appear mostly during their festive occasions and they make a big thing about handing them out as gifts.

These are the people who invented gunpowder, printing, the magnetic compass, paper, porcelain and tea and yet after thousands of years are incapable of turning out a decent bun.

It's shameful.

I wish they would bring back Kunzle cakes. That'd show them. Anyone remember Kunzle cakes?

anglo

LE
Now if they were actually imported from the moon I might understand. They're made with cheap ingredients (mostly bean paste) and are actually pretty naff.

I remember the first time I tried one and I thought, "Now this is going to be a bit of a treat". How wrong I was. Think slightly gelatinous, sweetened mashed up beans with no discernible flavour covered in a very thin layer of unremarkable pastry and you're just about there. What makes them so hideously pricey? (About £25-£35 for a small box).

Perhaps the Chinese like to pay through the nose for their disappointments.
Why Are Mooncakes Expensive? Pre-made mooncakes are expensive, even though they don't cost a lot to make. Because they're time-consuming, are often intricately packaged, people are willing to spend the money on them, so the bakeries that make them charge high prices.3 May 2020

Reassuringly expensive

Why Are Mooncakes Expensive? Pre-made mooncakes are expensive, even though they don't cost a lot to make. Because they're time-consuming, are often intricately packaged, people are willing to spend the money on them, so the bakeries that make them charge high prices.3 May 2020

Reassuringly expensive
That's interesting. Kunzle cakes were dropped by J Lyons & Co (who had acquired the brand) because they were too intricate and fiddly to produce. There was not sufficient profit to be made from them as long as the British public were unwilling to stump up silly money for a selection of teatime fancies.

There's the difference between the Western and the oriental mind. Given that mooncakes are so shit, how much would the Chinese be willing to stump up for Kunzle cakes, I wonder?

I can feel a trip to the Dragon's Den coming on (and I'm not talking illicit opium smoking establishments here).

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
First world problems huh?

anglo

LE
That's interesting. Kunzle cakes were dropped by J Lyons & Co (who had acquired the brand) because they were too intricate and fiddly to produce. There was not sufficient profit to be made from them as long as the British public were unwilling to stump up silly money for a selection of teatime fancies.

There's the difference between the Western and the oriental mind. Given that mooncakes are so shit, how much would the Chinese be willing to stump up for Kunzle cakes, I wonder?

I can feel a trip to the Dragon's Den coming on (and I'm not talking illicit opium smoking establishments here).
The Chinese will eat anything, so, they'll like them, how much they will pay for them, FK

@Provost

Possibly because they are an occasional thing ?
We were once presented them in a wooden case , 3 of them within each with a different filling. All individually wrapped with calligraphy on red and gold labels.
Tasted beautiful but must have cost the earth.

They come in red packaging, which is a sign of future prosperity. It is the significance they are mostly paying for, followed by the nicer than usual packaging. At the back of a long-closed chinese supermarket I used to frequent, they had what looked like crap (cereal box shaped with fake stuff in it) along with Bank of Hell money. You were supposed to buy these for someone so they could burn them to bring them prosperity.

The Chinese will eat anything, so, they'll like them, how much they will pay for them, FK

I had actually considered this. I anticipated altering the Kunzle cake recipe for the Chinese market. If they contained noisome animal parts or entrails, particularly those of endangered species, they would sell particularly well.

anglo

LE
I had actually considered this. I anticipated altering the Kunzle cake recipe for the Chinese market. If they contained noisome animal parts or entrails, particularly those of endangered species, they would go down particularly well.
I can't fault that logic, a drop of bats blood and a dash of Covid-19 vaccine.

no discernible flavour

Flavour?

I think you’re using them wrong

B04D2B08-1586-4977-A596-C33D2A0026BC.jpeg

I can't fault that logic, a drop of bats blood and a dash of Covid-19 vaccine.
Just storing the cakes beneath crates of live spiny anteaters will probably do the job.

Also, the merest hint that the cakes assisted in the alleviation of erectile dysfunction would foster great interest.
I'd have to be careful, though. There are rules in this country about making specific claims along these lines. However, I think that the Chinese prefer it when such preparations first involve the slaughter of entire species of animals. It's good Chi or spiritually propitious or something

These are the people who invented gunpowder, printing, the magnetic compass, paper, porcelain and tea and yet after thousands of years are incapable of turning out a decent bun.

Apparently vaccines too, in the 1500s they did it by grinding up smallpox scabs and inhaling the powder. 200-odd years before vaccination was independently rediscovered in the West.

The Scottish also have opioid problems, a reputation for invention-

But produce this sorta thing-

1200px-Tunnocks-Caramel-Wafer-Split.jpg

Clearly I don't want to be lacist, but made the Chinese lack of gingerism is why they can't do sugary stuff ?