Why are all the REME Officers Leaving??

Discussion in 'REME' started by Crusty(LE), Jul 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rumour has it the REME is haemorrhaging officers, both DE and LE. Anyone got any info on why and how many?

2. Why are they all leaving?

Probably the same reason as all the RLC Officers are jumping ship.......

Coz it's ARRSE

3. The reason is simple - like the rest of the Army, loyalty has stopped cutting both ways. Remember the needs of the Army come first........

4. That will be why all my serving mates are sending me their CV's!

OS

5. As a young DE I think we are losing officers so quickly because we are asked to do an impossible job. Maintain kit with minimal resource. We get pressure from above and then get berated from below when we try to achieve the impossible. Its not like we can't be employed (with better pay) in the real world.

Still being young and naive I still think I can make a difference. When will I learn.......

6. I presume that they may all be manning these KwikFit operations that are springing up everywhere keeping young gals on the road...

Crusty
    Colonel

7. Same across the board. Don't know about you, but I joined the Army to see the world and go on operations. All I seem to do is write endless CR's, sit behind a desk pushing paper and implement H and S issues.

The old addage of 'You fight the Army, not the enemy' I feel, has never been more relevant.

Example. One of my fellow offrs has signed off last week. When interviewed by the OC, he said that he joined to Army to really make a difference and try to stop the scurge of terrorism etc. He felt he wasn't making one bit of difference as his job consisted of ECI meetings, FSI meetings, H&S issues, EWP etc etc. You can get my drift. He has now applied for Customs and Excise recruitment, where he hopes he will be more in the frontline of actually doing what we should be doing in the first place.

A bit moralistic and a bit 'pie in the sky' perhaps, but you cannot fault this guy for his commitment. I do not think that this is the sole issue, but it is a slant that offers food for thought.

8. I have a theory:

After the initial phases of Op TELIC the COs who were deployed to that sunny place found that their OJARs / Regts submissions to their Corps / Branch journal wrote themselves. As a consequence the COs left in Blightly really had to maximise their thrust to compete, hence all those bent log race competitions, march and shoots and an abject dread terror of failing any kind of inspection.

The CO sat in the Op theatre then gets a bit twitchy 'cause his Regt isn't doing all these sporting competitions and "wacky" events, which he then dreams up for his blokes on Ops. The CO left at home is now truly fcuked and only has one hope of competing for that coveted full colonel slot............this is to volunteer his Regt for absolutely everything! No opportunity to get the whole Regt out of barracks is missed; no task that is a Sqn / Coy minus level task can survive without the full weight of being RHQ thrown behind it!

The net result of the above is that nobody seems to prioritise anymore, we are all either attempting to do everything or being made to so by our thruster bosses.

NB: Driving about this W/E I noticed that 5 Bn REME were on exercise, s-hah, on a bank holiday!

9. Remember as an Opt Pl WO being berated because I declined going adventure training with the boys and girls from the platoon. This after Op Tours, exercises in Southern Germany, Poland and firing camp supports x many.

Reminded all concerned that I had an issue with going away to 'enjoy myself' whilst Mrs M and child remained at home. They seem to forget that the wives do not differentiate between op tours, exercise and adventure training - it is all time away.

I believe the issue above contributes to all ranks voting with their feet rather than just officers - it also has a huge part to play in my 'declining' an invitation to apply for a commission which I still do not regret having left in sep 04.

10. I seem to have a smile on my face every time I hear the favourite MOD saying of "encourage all to maintain a work life balance". Its simple resign and get a life!

11. Ford Prefect wrote............this is to volunteer his Regt for absolutely everything! No opportunity to get the whole Regt out of barracks is missed; no task that is a Sqn / Coy minus level task can survive without the full weight of being RHQ thrown behind it!

Have you spent the last 2 years in Barker Barracks? You have described the our Bn HQ mission to a tee!!!

What is the enemy doin g a n d w h y ? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz con tro l me a sure s do I need zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz t o im pose? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

12. Not two years in Barker Brks, one night in Savoys was enough for me thanks!

13. Ah, the lovely Zita. Is she still the owner of that fine establishment.......or has some other trollop got it now?

14. Could you just remind me again when invitations were given to apply for a commission????? Can't quite remember getting mine!!

15. its only my oppinion and obviously i cant speak as to why REME officers are leaving but i would imagine the LE officers are leaving because they get all the jobs noone else wants to do, Fams officer, RCMO to name a few.

once they were top of the tree as WO's and now as LE Capt's they are treat no better than DE young Lt's and Capt's. They are reported on the same also. I did find that most LE officers had great respect off the lads as they generally knew the background of said LE from some source. The reaction they get from the officer class tho isnt too good from what ive heard as they are seen as outsiders? LE officers correct me if im wrong but thats what ive heard over the years from friends who know LE officers. then theres the possibility they wont get accepted to extend the commission afterwards. in civvy street at 43-44 looking for work?? :roll: not impossible but it does get harder the older u get

only my oppinion but feedback welcome