Why am I not getting max settings on my beast setup...

So I'm running demanding games on a pretty much squared away setup, games like Metro Exodus

32gb RAM
RTX 2080 Super

Running Metro Exodus at the basic 1920 x 1080 on MAX resolution seems a struggle, and this is supposed to be well above the recommended settings, it's a desktop replacement Alienware Area 51 R2 by Dell, so what is the answer? Something I need to disable?

GPU tweaking?

The game is run off an M2 SSD drive, I'd prefer to actually get a full 60FPS.

I am ticking EVERYTHING including ray tracking and DX12 and putting max settings on quality

TamH70

MIA
So I'm running demanding games on a pretty much squared away setup, games like Metro Exodus

32gb RAM
RTX 2080 Super

Running Metro Exodus at the basic 1920 x 1080 on MAX resolution seems a struggle, and this is supposed to be well above the recommended settings, it's a desktop replacement Alienware Area 51 R2 by Dell, so what is the answer? Something I need to disable?

GPU tweaking?

The game is run off an M2 SSD drive, I'd prefer to actually get a full 60FPS.

I am ticking EVERYTHING including ray tracking and DX12 and putting max settings on quality

Hmm. Odd one. Is Metro Exodus a game that likes lots of cores? If so, that's your problem. The 10900K really doesn't like multi-threading.

Hmm. Odd one. Is Metro Exodus a game that likes lots of cores? If so, that's your problem. The 10900K really doesn't like multi-threading.

After installing latest drivers from Nvidia it seems to be running fluidly now but the point is I want to enjoy 4k hence splashing out on an Alienware monitor... which gives benefits of... erm... RTX ray tracing or whatever its called gimmicks...

TamH70

MIA
After installing latest drivers from Nvidia it seems to be running fluidly now but the point is I want to enjoy 4k hence splashing out on an Alienware monitor... which gives benefits of... erm... RTX ray tracing or whatever its called gimmicks...
Oh, ok.

Hmm, again...

I never bought into the ray-tracing thing myself. I always saw it as something that Nvidia had brought in so that they could charge double what they used to charge for graphics cards even though it was nowhere near ready for prime-time, and it would still sell because fanboys and this was confirmed when the reviews came in for the 30xx cards, and to a man, the reviewers were saying that this was the first GPU generation from Big Green where ray-tracing was actually worthwhile - as neither the 10xx nor the 20xx would run it well enough. Especially not in 4K.

Even with fair winds, at 4k, you'd be lucky to get more than about 50 fps on Metro Exodus with that card, even with a 10900k and 32 Gb of memory, but I honestly can't see any bottle-neck for 1080p, or any reason why you can't run it on 4k on an external monitor.

Are you running DLSS with ray-tracing? If not, do so. It makes things better, from what I've read.

Could always drop the resolution to 1080p and it would sort it or turn RTX off....

4K takes a lot out of system before you add stuff like RTX on there, or get a 3080 for the RTX gimmicks

Oh, ok.

Hmm, again...

I never bought into the ray-tracing thing myself. I always saw it as something that Nvidia had brought in so that they could charge double what they used to charge for graphics cards even though it was nowhere near ready for prime-time, and it would still sell because fanboys and this was confirmed when the reviews came in for the 30xx cards, and to a man, the reviewers were saying that this was the first GPU generation from Big Green where ray-tracing was actually worthwhile - as neither the 10xx nor the 20xx would run it well enough. Especially not in 4K.

Even with fair winds, at 4k, you'd be lucky to get more than about 50 fps on Metro Exodus with that card, even with a 10900k and 32 Gb of memory, but I honestly can't see any bottle-neck for 1080p, or any reason why you can't run it on 4k on an external monitor.

Are you running DLSS with ray-tracing? If not, do so. It makes things better, from what I've read.
I'm running a laptop which has a desktop GPU, replacing it isn't an option unless I find a compatible option with the Alienware graphics amp...

I asked my webdesigner because i'm not really a hardware geek as much as i used to be...

I just splashed out on a 4k gaming monitor

The games runs fluidly at 1920 res without the laptop making so much noise really... will give it a spin at 4k res on my 4k monitor and see how that goes

It's running fine at 4k now, the laptop itself isn't being overclocked and the laptop itself is reasonably quiet, resetting the settings to defaults seems to have been the cure.

It not broke don't fix it.

Latest Threads