Why a THREE minute silence?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldSnowy, Jan 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Here in Sunny MoD Main Building are to hold our 3 minute silence shortly. Personally, I object to being forced to wear my heart on my sleeve in such a manner, just because the EU Presidency says so. After all, we only have a TWO minute silence on Armistice Day. The Tsunami was a terrible tragedy, but God knows it's not the only one. For sheer scale of deaths, what about the wars in the Congo and Sudan? But then again very few Europeans were involved there....

I shall go for a walk in the Gardens, and hum to myself (like all the other annoying street lunatics there).

2. Same here.
    I voiced my objection, only 2 mins for Armistice Day etc, was advised best to go for a coffee out of the way

3. Likewise. Happy to show respect for those who have suffered loss etc but how much time do you need to 'donate'?

Short reflection and then crack on as usual. Someone obviously feels that the scale of the disaster needs to be reflected in the 'scale' of the silence.

4. Its just another example of the 'oh, we'll make it even longer to make us look even more concerned' society we live in.

As stated before 2mins is deemed enough for the millions who died in all wars passed, but 3 mins for the dead of the indian ocean tragedy?? :roll:

did it anyway :?

agent smith

5. Had a similar discussion ages back on another board, common thought is its all linked into the "Diana" effect where we have all become victims. At this rate we will be having half hour silences when some chancer sprains his foot

6. Must admit, we are becoming a "minute silence" country at the drop of a hat. It is begining to wear people down, fine show compassion and caring but every bloody time something bad happens? We'd be forever quiet.

(For some people perhaps a good thing! :wink: )

7. In my office the flags half been at half mast (well below actually, is that deliberate too?), and everbody's 3 minutes' silence was broken by the intercom-dolly announcing that it was noon.

Mind you, one can't knock them for non-adherence to GMT when arrse is normally approx 12mins ahead.

8. three minutes silcence - we endured ours at 12...was going ok til someone started giggling! 3 mins is too long - it was only 2 mins fro remembrence day!

9. Couldn't agree more, OldSnowy. Personally, I can't get that worked up about natural disasters: sh1t happens. Conflict and self-sacrifice are altogether more tragic.

10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Call me a pedantic Bsatard but, as any fule kno, a half-mast flag is flown 1 1/2 times the depth of the flag down the flagpole. If this happens to be half-way down, then that's coincidental.

If we are going to be a nation of griefmongers, we may as well get it right.

11. Aye, well I kept quiet for four minutes to prove how much sorrier I am than any of you.

Was considering drowning my first born also... So I can really feel the pain.

Bloody grief carnival.

12. I have to agree with you on this wellyhead, we will all end up having counselling every other day if this irrational behaviour takes hold.

3 minutes? Makes you wonder what the Somme was worth doesn't it?

13. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Ah, yes, the Death of St. Diana of Knightsbridge.

What a catalyst for introspective, blue rinsed, misery-wallowing that turned out to be.

Personally I am sick of the whole grief circus that the British media has become.

The BBC, ITV, SKY etc. are just having a wall wetting competition, wringing their hands in sub-Rolf Harris, Animal Hospital style paid by the hour mock-mourning as it is traditionally the slowest time of the year for news.

They should show some respect for the poor bleeders out there and not stuff their cameras up the noses of poor women who have lost their children.

The maggots of the press yet again crawling through the rotten carcass of grief looking for a morsel to chew on.

14. You are assuming that your average MGS Joe is bright enough to know and be able to impliment these rules. I don't think so. :D

15. After WWI George V decided that anything longer than two minutes silence was simply ridiculous as a crowd couldn't realisticaly be expected to last longer and would demean the whole point of the silence by doing something inappropriate, like giggling.

I did two minutes and then pintedly got on with what I was doing. There is a point where quiet reflection gives way to pointless mawkish sentimentality.