Whose Army?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by SlimeyToad, Feb 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just noticed on a BBC interview that the NATO commander, David Richards, a British army officer, was wearing 'stars' on his collar.

Is this standard NATO policy these days or something introduced to help our US cousins with officer recognition?
  2. 'Stars' I believe, is the proper term for pips. Could be a NATO thing though.
  3. I think the stars referred to by ST can be seen on this pic, not the stars (also incorrectly referred to as pips) which denote British rank.

Edited to add better pic
  4. They just wear them so that american mongs who can't be arrsed to learn other countries ranks know what rank they are.
  5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Notice he's got the proper rank on the front of his shirt tho.
  6. Ha! The Gaylord! Next he'll be chewing a cigar!
  7. Is it not just so that NATO soldiers can recognise his rank, since the 'star' system for generals is recognised pretty much world wide and a random collection of swords, pips and crowns aren't really.
  8. Probably, but I still think it's gay. :biggrin:
  9. Obviously, it's American. :shakefist:
  10. Stars aren't necessary. The black Labrador retriever - issued at Staff College - usually gives the game away. Look at the position of his right hand. He is almost certainly holding a dog's lead!

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy).
  11. Youve got it wrong Im afraid SLR. A true staff officer never has his dog on a lead, but allows it to move freely from office to office, crapping and urinating at its leasure
  12. So true thats probably why the story of dog in the howitiser remains so popular.
  13. Who's the bloke behind him breathing warm air on the back of his neck. Oh they were the days
  14. I see he's also got his 'wings' on the bottom of the stars as well as his arm so the other 'stars' know he'll be up for a game of freckles
  15. That would be the TA interpreter who has recently been nicked on an Official Secrets Act charge