Whose Army?

Just noticed on a BBC interview that the NATO commander, David Richards, a British army officer, was wearing 'stars' on his collar.

Is this standard NATO policy these days or something introduced to help our US cousins with officer recognition?

SlimeyToad said:
Just noticed on a BBC interview that the NATO commander, David Richards, a British army officer, was wearing 'stars' on his collar.

Is this standard NATO policy these days or something introduced to help our US cousins with officer recognition?
'Stars' I believe, is the proper term for pips. Could be a NATO thing though.

DPM_Sheep said:
SlimeyToad said:

I think the stars referred to by ST can be seen on this pic, not the stars (also incorrectly referred to as pips) which denote British rank.

Edited to add better pic

Oracle said:
DPM_Sheep said:
SlimeyToad said:

I think the stars referred to by ST can be seen on this pic, not the stars (also incorrectly referred to as pips) which denote British rank.

Edited to add better pic
Notice he's got the proper rank on the front of his shirt tho.

spike7451 said:
Oracle said:
DPM_Sheep said:
SlimeyToad said:

Edited to add better pic
Notice he's got the proper rank on the front of his shirt tho.
Ha! The Gaylord! Next he'll be chewing a cigar!

Is it not just so that NATO soldiers can recognise his rank, since the 'star' system for generals is recognised pretty much world wide and a random collection of swords, pips and crowns aren't really.

jimmys_best_mate said:
Is it not just so that NATO soldiers can recognise his rank, since the 'star' system for generals is recognised pretty much world wide and a random collection of swords, pips and crowns aren't really.
Probably, but I still think it's gay. :biggrin:

DPM_Sheep said:
jimmys_best_mate said:
Probably, but I still think it's gay. :biggrin:
Obviously, it's American. :shakefist:

Stars aren't necessary. The black Labrador retriever - issued at Staff College - usually gives the game away. Look at the position of his right hand. He is almost certainly holding a dog's lead!

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy).

SelfLoadingRifle said:
Stars aren't necessary. The black Labrador retriever - issued at Staff College - usually gives the game away. Look at the position of his right hand. He is almost certainly holding a dog's lead!
SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy).
Youve got it wrong Im afraid SLR. A true staff officer never has his dog on a lead, but allows it to move freely from office to office, crapping and urinating at its leasure

I see he's also got his 'wings' on the bottom of the stars as well as his arm so the other 'stars' know he'll be up for a game of freckles

wuckfit said:
Who's the bloke behind him breathing warm air on the back of his neck. Oh they were the days
That would be the TA interpreter who has recently been nicked on an Official Secrets Act charge

He's the spit of Max Hastings.

Looks like US full general's rank on one collar, Afghan on the other.

drain_sniffer said:
Youve got it wrong Im afraid SLR. A true staff officer never has his dog on a lead, but allows it to move freely from office to office, crapping and urinating at its leasure
Drain_sniffer

You are pretty much right on this, and I stand corrected. However, as a humble ex Lance Jack (a long time ago) I felt that I needed clarification on this, so I consulted a recently retired senior officer that I know. He told me the following.

Staff College has two related courses on the subject.

1) Basic Black Labrador (taken at rank of Major)
This covers all the usual functions such as urination, defication, salivation shedding and flea infestation. Use of lead is not covered at all at this stage.

2) Advanced Black Labrador (taken at rank of Brigadier General)
Part of the course covers scenarios that could cause a diplomatic incident such as: Presidential Spouse's leg - copulation with... or Royal Corgi - laceration or impregnation of.

Function of lead and improvisation of lead in emergency are introduced at this stage. HOWEVER circumstances have to be pretty extreme for either of these to be put into effect.

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy)

I made the same observation on another thread, about 4 months ago.

My worry then (as now - only now, it is stronger) is that this is the British #Army turning, more and more, into America's Gurkhas.

FFS - it's bad enough having to be their mates!!

Seem to remember that one Brit Senior General was GOC BAOR, Commander Northern Army Group and Deputy Commander NATO.
He kept three different "National" headress in his office and as he progressed his Paperwork he changed Desks and 'Helmet' to suit which 'Army' he was Commanding.
john
Yes The US Gurks, high quality boys ta do the biz.