Whos the second most warry nation ?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by dogs_bollox, Jul 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We all know that we British have the best armed forces in the world. But who would get the silver medal for this ?

We're not talking individual units or 'Speshul Forces' but which other current, regular army would we be most happy to have on an op' with us.

My punt would be the Cannucks. Rock solid bunch to a man (and woman, although I've never personally met a Cannuckette).

2. I have heard it said that the most popular destination for ex-British soldiers is the French Foreign Legion, with better pay and conditions, designer uniforms, and after service service, and the French government is not afraid to flex its muscles when required, so (and I know you'll all blow me arms and legs off for this), my vote is for the French.
  3. how about the Israeli's - admittedly the run of things recently hasnt been good but thats been due to political interference or having to do peacekeeping. Their kit is pretty good as well.

alternatively the metropolitan police - they certainly rack up the kills!
  4. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Personally, I would rather have the Women's Land Army. Sturdy girls, strong arms and backs, and when pmt kicks in they are vicious killers.
  5. I'd go the Israeli's as well, mainly because their allowed to get on with the job without giving a f*ck to world opinion and they do the job very well, good kit and well motivated troops
  6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I hear the crayshee shexshy Dutch are pretty handy when it comes to a ruck. They also copied our uniforms so they must be cool.
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'd go for the SADF . . . . oh, bugger.

OK, the Israelis then.
  8. Israelis? Maybe 4 decades ago.

Since then, bogged down in Lebanon for 21 years which led to a rapid and ignoble retreat and then failure in the same country in 2006. They might be good at concentrated, innacurate bombing and bulldozing civilians but, in my opnion, they have lost the edge.

I'd go for the Aussies.
  9. (Time travel ON)

Rhodesian Army

(Time travel OFF)
  10. Well Switzerland wins first prize for neutrality and avoiding international scraps, so I'd put Portugal up for the Silver Medal for Wariness. :D
  11. The Waffen SS... I like their EO and diversity policies.
  12. Canada without question for me. 60,000 died in WW1 , 10% of a population of 7 million people served in uniform at the time.

15,000 went ashore on D-Day. In the past 50 years, they've served on 39 UN missions, 6 on non UN mandates, from Vietnam, East Timor, Sinai to Bosnia.

Now that's a committment to world peace and most of it unheralded. God Bless them all.

PS All of the above taken from a Kevin Myers article for the Sunday Telegraph which I can't find just now
  13. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

3rd raters who made their reputation against 5th rate opposition and women and kids in my opinion.

Old SADF were good but that was mostly because they had the crap trained out of them before being set loose and having better gear than just about anyone on the continent - air superiority - we don't need no stinking air superiority - lets invade anyway!!! We can just drive around at night!!!
    How many troops get 10 months training and JL's 22 months training these days?

Rhodesians did have to actually be stopped by law during WW2 from enlisting as so many of them signed up - though this might have something to do with Salisbury nightlife and the fact that the local wimmenhood were not known as Aardvarks for nothing (not very attractive - only come out at night)
  14. No offence to the Aussies but the Israelis fought two major wars in 1973 ( Where they gave the Arabs a few days head start and still beat them ) and 1982 where they wiped out the Syrian airforce in two days , not to mention several major anti terrorist operations whil the Aussies had a peace time army

So I go for the Israelis too

15. Past ANZAC generations maybe, but in more recent times I fear not. Unlike the Canadians who have been punching above their own weight for the last few years in Afghan.

For me it's either the Yanks or Canadians.