Whos the big "G"?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Bazzinho1977, Jul 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been in the terries a wee while now,
    and I must say it isn't all that bad....

but one thing that has never been made to clear to me is what is all this G1, G4 stuff about?

I have heard it mentioned a couple of times in briefings etc. but never wanted to admit I was the only bloke in the room who didn't know what they meant. I think I have heard mention of everything from G1 up to G6.

Anyone care to shed some light?

2. G1 - Personnel
    G2 - Media opps
    G3 - Opps & Trg
    G4 - Logistics
    G5 - Welfare
    G6 - Comms

I think thats how it goes. You dont really have to worry about it at Pte level. Its more for senior rank/officer type stuff.

3. I am worried because I've just made Major. :oops:

4. G1 - PERSONNEL AND ADMIN
    G2 - INT AND SECURITY
    G3 - OPS
    G4 - LOGISTICS
    G5 - PLANS AND POLICY
    G6 - COMMS AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS
    G7 - DOCTRINE AND TRAINING
    G8 - RESOURCES AND FINANCE
    G9 - CIVIL-MILITARY COPOERATION (CIMIC)

5. :D

Brilliant!!

:clap:

P.S - GOT to be a wah...

6. Wah meter has just gone critical. :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. No, not a wah. it was a real question. And obviously, if I had just been made Major I would have known what they meant.

I have in fact just been made Secretary of Defence and don't understand any of this crap.

8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Gordon? Is that you Mr Brown?

9. Well, that's all perfectly clear .... now, what are terries? :D

10. Dont worry it never held back any of your predecessors.

11. Terries?

They are a bit like the "Terriers," but their weapon of choice is a sharpened piece of chocolate, originally manufactured to resemble a citrus fruit.

12. I see! ... all clear now ("They're not Terries.. the're mine"!) :wink:

13. Maybe I have just misunderstood Billy Connollys accent by using the word "terries". But I have only heard the song "Weekend Soldier" sang by two barely human scousers who in turn had learnt the words by ear.

So, it may well be terriers :?

14. My apologies, now that I understand that you are a Cabinet Minister (no matter how junior) and are "responsible" for Defence I can see why you would have difficulty with the G Branch concept.

15. Easy mistake to make there Bazz... but canines make better singers than jocks (proof: two words "the" & "Proclaimers"... endex!)