Whos killed the most?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by REMEbrat, Aug 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Since the end of World War 2 which British PM has ruled over the deaths of the most British soldiers?

2. Wouldn't that be Winston Churchill during the Korean War?

3. Tony Blair. He killed a nation.

4. Churchill. Korea. Most of the other campaigns were spread over multiple governments.

5. What's the reason for this question? Research or antagonism?

6. Maggie might bein with a chance.

7. Personal curiosity. The number of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghan is rising constantly and this got me thinking as to which PM has ruled over the deaths of most British troops.

8. Don't know which PM, but the Army CATERING CORPS must be in with a chance

9. no one is close to the avian flu outbreak of 1918-25.
    killed about a quarter of the worlds population.
    h5n1.
    and its alive and well in asia right now!!!!!

10. How?

11. I would have to go with Churchill too. Sources seem to vary, but at approximately 700 KIA, Korea is to date the bloodiest post-WW2 conflict in which the UK armed Forces have been engaged. Although the war broke out before he was elected, the main British effort in the conflict occurred during his premiership. To that you have to add the casualties from the ongoing Malayan Emergency and the start of the Mau-Mau uprising in Kenya (although Army casualties in the latter were not numerous).

12. NI and the Falklands perhaps?

13. Unlikely, see my comment above ref- Churchill. Without going back to the books, I'd say that there were approx 350-400 regular UK military KIA during her terms of office. Just over 250 from the Falklands and the rest from NI related incidents. I have to admit that the latter is a conservative (no pun intended) estimate, and may be a little higher in reality.

14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Not even close - She wasn't in for 30 years of the troubles.

15. So's Gary Glitter!