• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Whos got the keys for the bus

Not sure if this is true as I have picked it up from a couple of blogs rather than official news sources

http://lookingforavoice.blogspot.com/2008/12/fight-and-die-for-this-country-then.html

http://machiavellitheprince.blogspot.com/2008/12/family-of-colour-sergeant-dura.html

On 15 November, Colour Sergeant Krishnabahadur Dura of the 2nd Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles was killed in action in Afghanistan.

Defence News, part of the Ministry of Defence, said, "He was rated as one of the Army's best snipers attaining best student on his Snipers' course. He was highly respected by all." C. Sgt Dura was killed by a Taliban bomb which injured two male colleagues and one female officer, who lost her leg.

C. Sgt Dura, 36, leaves two daughters and a wife. He had served in the British Army since 1992.

But the purpose of this article is not to recount his years of selfless service, nor to sing the praises of his heroism in Afghanistan. It is to draw attention to the most appallingly callous, bureaucratically pig-headed mindset #### has so far encountered. Because the Home Office is currently threatening to deport the wife and two little children of C. Sgt Dura.

Can anyone confirm?

I can't think of a glib remark because I'm so feking outraged

Whilst my man DI's the bus, are there any other links on this story?

"Because the Home Office is currently threatening to deport the wife and two little children of C. Sgt Dura."

Absolutely outrageous, but then it's a Labour Government, are we to expect anything less?

Would be different if the wife and kids had smuggled themselves through the tunnel in a lorry and claiming... :x

If only he'd come to this country in the back of an artic from Albania the gobment would have bent over backwards for them. No, he came over here to fight for this country, to be a Gurkha, to be one of the best fighting men on this planet.
And when he gives the ultimate sacrifice to this country, not even the country of his birth but one he's chosen to fight for, all we do is shite on ther ones he leaves behind.
I love my country, sometimes I think I'm one of the only ones that does these days, but things like this make you wonder wether or not there is anything to love about Britain.
How do you start those Downing Street petition thingies?

Markintime said:
I have written to Howe and Co who are representing the Gurkhas to see if anyone is aware if this is true and, if so, what they are doing about Mrs Dura's plight.
I've got Mark Lancaster as a local MP, he's done tours in the hot and sandy as a TA officer so is quite sympathetic to the forces for an MP.
Will have to draft up a letter to him this weekend

Best I could find was from the Kent Messenger newspaper

A campaign is under way to allow the widow of a Gurkha soldier killed in action to remain in Kent.

Uma Dura’s husband Krishnabahadur, a colour sergeant in the 2nd Battalion, the Royal Gurkha Rifles, died when the Warrior Infantry Fighting Vehicle he was in was hit by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan last month.

The 36-year-old was based in Folkestone and his wife and two daughters, aged four and 11, had been living at Howe Barracks in Canterbury.

The elder daughter is a pupil at Kingsmead School in the city and both children were born in the UK - but Home Office rules do not automatically allow the widows of Gurkhas to remain in the country.

Politicians of all parties on Canterbury City Council are hoping to persuade the Home Office to allow Mrs Dura and her daughters the right to stay.

Lib Dem Brian Staley is a central figure in the campaign. He said: "The whole council feels it is morally right to press for them to be allowed to stay so that they can continue living in Canterbury and so that the girls can go to school here."

After his death, C/Sgt Dura’s body was flown back to the UK and then taken back to Nepal from RAF Lyneham. His wife and daughters are there this week attending his funeral.

Adding his support to the campaign, Canterbury MP Julian Brazier said: "Krishna Dura has made the ultimate sacrifice on behalf of his country.

"His wife has long been settled here and both his children were born here. This is their home and I urge the Government to treat their case with the compassion and humanity that it deserves."
http://www.kentmessenger.co.uk/kol08/article/default.asp?article_id=52896

So it looks like nothing has been confirmed from the Home Office but that normally, the rules if applied would mean they would not be granted leave to remain.

It looks like this is a watch and wait issue

I've just spoken with Kieran and he will be all over it if it is established that this story is true. I suggest we wait to find out the facts before kicking off to MPs etc.

I am hoping that she has been told to apply for exceptional leave to remain but has misunderstood this as a threat of deportation. But somehow I doubt that's the case ........

Trotsky said:
I am hoping that she has been told to apply for exceptional leave to remain but has misunderstood this as a threat of deportation. But somehow I doubt that's the case ........
Trotsky, the overiding point is that neither she or any other families of those wounded or KIA should have to apply for exceptional leave.

That is simply fcuking disgusting. Even though I'm abroad I do have an MP back home, Adrian Sanders. He's a good enough chap and has been most helpful in the past. He's being sent a link to this thread directly.

Whatever the case, those apparatchiks responsible for the threat should be made aware of the repercussions of even putting her in fear of deportation. If the 'Sun' can do nothing else (a lot of noise being made about the 'Millies'), it can mobilise a sizeable body of opinion, and it's only one of our many national rags.

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
When I read that guy's obit on DII I got the distinct impression he was more nails than a Screwfix catalogue that hadn't had a manicure in two years. If this is true, the lovely Ms Lumley is going to go spare.

scrofula said:
That is simply fcuking disgusting. Even though I'm abroad I do have an MP back home, Adrian Sanders. He's a good enough chap and has been most helpful in the past. He's being sent a link to this thread directly.
Please hold off from getting your MPs involved until we've established the facts - Kieran O'Rourke from Howe & Co is going to do some digging and will let me know if we need to get a campaign going.