Who's been a naughty Brigadier then?

No, it ain't me and I don't know him...not at all....no siree......not me....deffo not me.

If he won those two fluffy penguins with fraudulently acquired raffle tickets I hope they send him to the Tower.

Never knew that about Mike Calvert though. Every day's a school day.

Read the article - claims that there are 150 brigadiers on the books.

With an army of just over 80,000 do we really NEED all these brigadiers? I assume the bulk of them will be in office jobs pushing paper around rather than actually commanding soldiers.

Read the article - claims that there are 150 brigadiers on the books.

With an army of just over 80,000 do we really NEED all these brigadiers? I assume the bulk of them will be in office jobs pushing paper around rather than actually commanding soldiers.
I agree - we should send Smudge from the MT to be Defence Attaches, Directors of MoD branches, serve on the NATO staff etc. His experiences in changing flat tyres will be invaluable.

I agree - we should send Smudge from the MT to be Defence Attaches, Directors of MoD branches, serve on the NATO staff etc. His experiences in changing flat tyres will be invaluable.
I would suggest that an RAMC Brigadier, while no doubt knowing his way around a human body and the techniques for reparing it, might be as useful as a Smudge from the MT when discussing modern military theory and techniques with whoever may be concerned.

Also I remember meeting the DA to Kenya back in the 80s. He was only a Colonel. Seeing as how there are just under 200 other countries in the world, most of which are pretty irrelevant to the UK, just how many Military/Defence attaches do we need?

Last edited:
Innocent till proven guilty...

More to the point, 1*s are generally pretty bloody busy - its not a makework role.

The trap we’ve fallen into is to believe that a thousand incompetents properly organized can do the job of a few dozen outstanding people. Again.

I do sometimes think that various ranks across the whole of NATO could be downgraded but who wants to rock the boat when its a cushy number?

A senior officer taken to court martial 'pour encourager les autres' over CEA perhaps?

Also I remember meeting the DA to Kenya back in the 80s. He was only a Colonel. Seeing as how there are just under 200 other countries in the world, most of which are pretty irrelevant to the UK, just how many Military/Defence attaches do we need?
More than we have now. DA's are bloody hard worked individuals who have to do a great deal of work, much of which is rarely seen by most people but without which a great deal either doesnt get done, or doesnt happen. DA's matter in a big way.

I dunno, a career thrown away for a pair of penguin slippers. What is the world coming to?

DM blocked in Thailand, any chance of a synopsis?

DM blocked in Thailand, any chance of a synopsis?
First few paragraphs from the Mail on Sunday article below:
Brigadier who is accused of fraud becomes the most senior officer to face court martial since 1952
  • Charles Beardmore, 51, faces charges of ‘negligently performing his duty’
  • Sources have said the case involves an allegation of fraud
  • He was the highest-ranking member of the Royal Army Medical Corps in Germany controlling a budget of millions of pounds
By Mark Nicol Defence Correspondent For The Mail On Sunday

Published: 01:13, 8 January 2017 | Updated: 09:20, 8 January 2017

A Brigadier is to appear before a court martial – making him the most senior officer to be put on trial by the British Army since 1952, it is believed.

Brigadier Charles Beardmore, 51, faces charges of ‘negligently performing his duty’, but sources have told The Mail on Sunday that the case involves an allegation of fraud.

He was until recently the highest-ranking member of the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) in Germany, controlling a budget of millions of pounds.

Brigadier Charles Beardmore, 51, faces charges of ‘negligently performing his duty’ but sources have said the case involves a fraud allegation

Last night, the Ministry of Defence refused to give details about the case, including the scale of the alleged fraud, where and when it took place, and if any taxpayers’ money remains unaccounted for.

Brig Beardmore held the German post, responsible for the health services of thousands of British troops and their families, for two years and recently moved to London as a general staff officer. The MoD refused to say which position the charges relate to.

Brig Beardmore is expected to attend the initial hearing in Colchester, Essex, on January 19.

The Mail on Sunday understands he is the only person charged in relation to the alleged fraud.