Whoops! Some bad driving ...

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by crossed_axes, Jun 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=16359

by Brian Reyes

Six British military personnel had a lucky escape yesterday after a navy speedboat hit the jetty in Rosia Bay during a high-speed amphibious exercise.

The Gibraltar Squadron rigid hull inflatable boat [RHIB] was part of an exercise to train soldiers in beach landing techniques.

Four UK-based Territorial Army soldiers and two Gibraltar Squadron crewmen were transferred by local emergency services to the Princess Royal Medical Centre in Devil's Tower Camp.

They were checked by doctors and released a short while later with little more than superficial injuries. An investigation is now under way into the cause of the incident, which happened at around 8am yesterday morning.

The investigation is being conducted by two naval officers from Headquarters British Forces (Gibraltar).

All outcomes remained open yesterday, including the possibility of mechanical failure or human error. The exercise in amphibious landing techniques formed part of the wider annual Marble Tor deployment, in which TA units from the UK spend time on the Rock training both on land and at sea.

The training program is designed to challenge the soldiers with realistic scenarios aimed at testing their skills and stamina. A military spokesman yesterday praised the response from the local emergency services and the Gibraltar Services Police. "They were incredibly quick on the scene," he said.
  2. That would be bad helming, you don't drive a boat or ship.
  3. msr

msr LE

That just sounds so wrong...

Are you a good helmer?
  4. I bet you love having the helm.
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

What is it with amphibious training around Gib? While ago some booties got lost and landed in Spain not Gib. Is there something in the water? :twisted:
  6. There's something in your water.
  7. Its a RIB?
  8. Interfering with the Coxsen's Helm-Met with an accidental discharge of Seamen into the ocean.! :p
  9. They must be from my lot... Oh dear, mustn't laugh! Actually, yes I must - they'll be sunbathing and I'm stuck in the UK with crappy weather!
  10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Well its not as if they have to fcuking go very far is it?
  11. In 2004 there was a rib related incident, two of our blokes and a gib reg bloke got flung out of one when it hit a freak wave, one of them nearly drowned as his rifle sling was in the way of his pull to inflate tag, luckily the Gib Reg bloke swum over and sorted it before he drowned!

Talking to a couple of gib lads about it afterwards apparently these type of incidents are quite common place, one infantry unit were carrying out beach stylee landings, the bottom of the tub hit a sand bar a bit further out than expected, the front two lads jumped over the side and took a step forward to find themselves in about 15ft of water, they managed to jettison most of their kit which was dragging them under, RN divers hand to retreive their rifles :oops:
  12. I think I might be aquainted with the miscreants and it doesn't suprise me! :roll: I'm sure to get the full story when they get back!!
  13. Yeah right.

Tell that to The Andrew who always talk about 'getting a drive'.

COs are 'boat drivers'. Amazing isn't it - we aren't in the 1920s anymore.

14. Judging by recent news reports... lots of Spaniards :D
  15. the gib services police station is only about 15m away from the entrance to rosia bay isn't it?