Whooosh, Bang- UK's WWII Rockets

tiv

LE
Elijah's Mantle just fell out of my addled brain though what I was really thinking of was Hajile, or Elijah in reverse. Remember seeing in on the box years ago in a programme that included the Great Panjandrum. It never quite seem to work as intended.

Anyway here's Wiki Hajile - Wikipedia

Last edited:

HE117

LE
IWM CL 3837.jpg

All Arms Rocket Drill course - Caterham Barracks 1941...!

..." Move forward the third rocket on the left... more yet, more yet .. Stand Still!"

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
Look at Rocket Projectile 3in. Carried a 60lb warhead or a 25lb solid shot. Typhoon carried at (possibly others). The 60lb occasionally pops up and has to be cleared by EOD.
A full 8 x 60lb HE rocket salvo fom a Typhoon was the same as a full broadside from a Leander light cruiser with 8 X 6 inch guns.

I've got letters here from Hugh Dowding about PAC. He's stuck a ban on firing the rockets at Germans. His reasoning being that a spent rocket might fall on an aircraft, and damage it! We can't have that, oh no!

Where as, the three German bombers hurtling in at 200ft are going to be dispensing love and kisses to your aircraft? I would venture that risk/rewards of firing the PAC are in the favour of Launch? As in, you'll loose more planes and personnel if you don't fire them. And who cares about one Aircraft, you've got hundreds of the bloody things rolling off the production line.

If you are looking for a completionist's account of ww2 British rocketry, there are also the rocket-launched grappling hooks to consider. I haven't found much about them yet, but other Arrsers may know more.

1600366507246.png

1600366521292.png

Someone's been throwing soil over my fence into the back Garden! (The Plot thickens!)

W.Cmdr England is some kind of PAC expert who has cropped up several times already. I can't tell you exactly what he is due to an oddity of UK files. They're in reverse with the most recent documents at the front, thus as you read you get older and older info. I'm sure I'll find out whom he is later. RAF Manston is interesting as there was mention of an incident there were something went badly wrong earlier in the files words to the effect of '..I suspect this is what happened at Manston.'

So it looks like we might have a story on our hands where something happens, and the Dowding becomes a bit of a cock over matters, only to get told off later by grown ups.

...due to an oddity of UK files. They're in reverse with the most recent documents at the front, thus as you read you get older and older info.
That's the normal way of filing. It avoids wearing out the paper when using a lever arch file.

That's the normal way of filing. It avoids wearing out the paper when using a lever arch file.
I figured it was for ease of access. You only want to know the current state of affairs, and its only weirdo's like me who want everything.

I actually wondered if Lever arch files had been invented then, as none of the documents I've seen have had the holes for them.
Luckily, and unsurprisingly, wiki has an article on the subject.

Ah-ha! found it. Dowding's defiantly being a cock. He's kicking up a stink saying he wasn't consulted about PAC being installed, as it was agreed he would be. The response is the above letter to put him back in his box.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
excellent thread - thoroughly absorbing.

the sort of thing arrse does best. well, that and pictures of lucy lawless.