Whooosh, Bang- UK's WWII Rockets

There is some weird and wonderful stuff listed there. I'd never heard of "Bouyancy Bombs".

From the Home Page...

You have clicked on ordnance information on the homepage of the Association of German Fireworks and Defense Technicians. At this link you will find a large number of regulations and documentation from the two world wars, which were painstakingly prepared by Sergeant Michael Hiske, but unfortunately not completed. He died much too early, on May 8th, 2011, 2 months before his retirement.
The Federation of German Fireworkers and Defense Technology e. V. learned about his work and got in touch with his family, who immediately agreed when we explained our plan.
We wanted to take Michael Heze's great work and make it available to the public.
This, we found, was also Michael Hiske's interest. He had written this down in his foreword to the planned homepage.
Michael Hiske copied the texts from the old documents and put them in HTML on this homepage. This means that you can have legible texts and recognizable drawings. Not everything can be easily copied, which does not mean that you cannot use the documents for non-commercial purposes. If it is worth something to them, namely to be able to access this information non-commercially, free of charge and at any time, the F-Stiftung des BDFWT e. V. very pleased about a donation. The bank details are: IBAN: DE87 2565 1325 0100 5958 59; Keyword: Michael Hiske.

tiv

LE
TIv, I'm having a busy week (I've done no research at all this week) I am reading, and I am adding all this to my "to look at later when I know more" pile. So I can only apologise for not directly responding, to all the posts.

But Thanks!
No apology needed I assure you, glad to be of some help.

The Long Aerial Mine is not a rocket, being dropped from an aircraft in to the bomber stream but once deployed has some familiar features:

View attachment 499780
Used by No 93 Squadron during the Blitz. Dropped from obsolete Harrow bomber/transports. Credited with two kills, and abandoned as a lot of effort for not much effect, especially as the numbers of Blenheims with AI Mk III and Beaufighters with AI Mk IV were slowly increasing. I presume they were chiefly used over the sea, as dropping yet more bombs on the UK seems a tad silly, unless they had a barometric fuse to set them off when they got below a certain height?

HE117

LE
Not WW2 but quite an interesting video about the development of ATGM. Some interesting footage.
Edit: video is from 1995.
Not a bad film, although trying to pass off a Swingfire as an SS11 was a bit cheeky..
Trigat was never going to survive the end of the cold war!

...and the late Tony Bastable.. although I have to admit it was Susan Stranks that made more of an impression on me!

Not a bad film, although trying to pass off a Swingfire as an SS11 was a bit cheeky..
Trigat was never going to survive the end of the cold war!

...and the late Tony Bastable.. although I have to admit it was Susan Stranks that made more of an impression on me!
Yep, 1989 kyboshed many projects.
I like the video style of presentation. It is something you used to get in aviation / military magazines and books up until the late 90s - explanations of how things work (though the magazines could go into more detail). It doesn't seem to happen anymore, perhaps publishers assume the info is online?
Putnams for example had a good book about German missiles which, for a book intended for the general reader, went into decent detail about the various programmes, and how each bit of kit worked.

tiv

LE
Around 25 years ago I was researching The London Mobilisation Centres during which the librarian at The Fort kindly dug out some notes made by a Mr L B Timmis on the LMCs and the Fort in particular. In with them was this letter from Dr Poole regarding early work on the rockets which may have some relevance here so, having eventually found it, here it is.

Poole 1.jpg

Poole 2.jpg

EDIT To add that the Col who brought the fort after WWI was Col Bradshaw whos name appears on this plan:

Ft Halstead.jpg

Last edited:
Around 25 years ago I was researching The London Mobilisation Centres during which the librarian at The Fort kindly dug out some notes made by a Mr L B Timmis on the LMCs and the Fort in particular. In with them was this letter from Dr Poole regarding early work on the rockets which may have some relevance here so, having eventually found it, here it is.

View attachment 501034

View attachment 501035
That is outstanding. It adds names to a document I've got (which is really badly written) that details Rocket development from 35-41. IT also adds some colour comments to make the text a bit more interesting.

tiv

LE
That is outstanding. It adds names to a document I've got (which is really badly written) that details Rocket development from 35-41. IT also adds some colour comments to make the text a bit more interesting.
I just checked the Timmis Notes and he mentions a Maj. Harvey which may be of use.

Timmis 1.jpg

tiv

LE
BTW Incase anyones is interested, and going off topic, a friend did an excellent drawing showing The Fort as it may have appeared as constructed.

The Fort.jpg

HE117

LE

View attachment 501034

View attachment 501035
What an interesting document...

Another interesting name check is Dr Rotter, known for the "Rotter Test" of explosive sensitivity. I think the original Rotter machine was moved from the Fort to Shrivenham in 1980, where I think it still exists.

HE117

LE
A few very short clips and some photos starting at 11:45 here
I love how he mixes Single, double and god knows what as "Z Batteries" and combines Mk.V UP FAM with the other UP's.
On the plus side, there's an interesting shot in there of single 3in launchers mixed in with what looks like a massive stack of launchers.

Latest Threads