WHOLE FLEET MANAGMENT (T F S U)

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by CRESTED, Oct 10, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. IS IT JUST ME, OR HAS WHOLE FLEET MANAGMENT MADE YOUR LIFE WORSE OFF ON THE TANK PARK. WHAT A TOTAL LOAD OF CRAP, TIME AND EFFORT.
    YOU SPEND MORE TIME DURING THE TRAINING YEAR IN REME TRYING TO GET ENOUGH TRUCKS ON THE ROAD TO DEPLOY FOR A THREE WEEK FIRING CAMP.......PANTS.
    BRING BACK THE OLD WAY OF LIFE[/b]

2. If the green fleet you are issued was maintained on a regular basis, daily works parades, monthly inpections and correct servicing, instead of being left on the tank park to rot until a week before they are needed, you wouldn't have this problem.

The 'whole fleet' is issued to augment a reduced green fleet and white fleet, allowing your troops to be moved around on a day to day basis in relative comfort, instead of sat in the back of a TCV or rover. If you don't keep on top of the green fleet it's not servicable for when you do need it.

If you really want to go back to the 'good old days' of 5 hour cabbies freezing your nuts off in the back of a leaking 4 tonne because there wasn't an army bus available, then quite frankly.... you're mad! :wink:

3. I don't know, in the old days we had a sing song, took the pish and had a fag etc. :wink:

4. point taken, when i said bring back the good old days i ment looking after your own fleet daily, weekly.having a job to do on the kit daily. having pride in your kit on flick.....not a rushed handover take over from another regt who have cooked the books, made no demands or made an up to date job card.
    also having no kit on the tank park puts the boys in the firing line from the shitty task brigade in rhq. weve ran out of weeds, kurb stones and brasso in our gaff.

5. There's always a bit of a problem taking over vehicles from the green pool. But this can be helped if all units reported faults correctly and looked after the vehicles they'd signed for.

The most important thing is having responsible people taking the vehicles over. It's no good some tom being sent to pick up the wagon if he's lible to get fobbed off when he mentions faults/damage/diffys. Try not to rush the Handover/Takeover. If the wagon is not up to standard refuse it. It will look bad on the unit trying to hand over sh1t rather than you having proper standards. If you HAVE to have the vehicle, make notes of the failings and report them correctly BEFORE you set off on your merry way and they can be fobbed off as your fault. A digital camera helps here, you get photographic proof of any damage or the state of the cab/back of the truck on handover you are bullet proof when they try and say you were winging about nothing.

As for the lads on the park. Most of your working waggons (Armour/comms etc) should still be there and worked on. The MT may look a little thin, but there's still the UBREs MHE and some other green kit to look after as well as getting them in civvys and sending them out on details in the white fleet. That's what they are supposed to do... drive!

6. when TELIC kicked of 70% of our large pieces were raped and the remainder handed over in good nick to the bods who needed them, after the war the kit came back in propa rag order. the remaining pieces are batterd from regt to regt depending on their training year, and are still in rag order. hence the winge, more time is spent tying to get kit on the road than training the crew ready for deployment.
    and as for driving details, not all 38 men in my troop can fit in the one 9 seater van the qms dept owns :D .
    civis.... sounds good but as you go to knock the boys off, yet another shitty task from the shitty task brigade hits the in tray.
    at least when the kit was in your garages and a crap job came your way the cry was track bashing or mei. :D

7. I am in favour of TFSU as the problem on our park is the lack of trained/qualified and experienced soldiers to carry out the daily parades on the mass of vehicles that we hold but seldom use. So we are happy to get them up to standard and complete to CES them ship them off for someone else to look after.

8. could that not be seen as a failure of the 'troopies' in not getting sufficient soldiers trained for equipment that is held on strength?

9. could be seen as a failing of the troopies if they had any soldiers to train but the current undermanning in our Regt's sadly it means insufficient manpower and not man management failiure ?

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Ahem.....be interested to hear the views on this piece in Soldier this month:
    http://www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/mag/feature3.htm

Have to declare an interest here - I've visited TFSU on a couple of occasions and know very well what the management side view of WFM is.
    (seem to recall getting truly sihtfaced in a nice Italian restaurant in Monchen Gladbach but that's incidental :) )

I'd also be interested to hear how many of the people affected by the move to centralised Fleet Management in Germany actually saw the four minute piece on << BFBS Reports>> about it ?

You can get it off the web ( if your sucky Media Player lets you) at
    http://cdn.streamcdn.com/cdn.asp?c_id=bfbs&mt=bfbs&fn=071204-2.wmv

One of my jobs is to look at how to communicate to the Field Army and others what the hell WFM is all about and why we are doing it.....Soldier is a good way to get the message across.

There will also a be a piece in The Craftsman at some stage - but do people read it ?

None of these are any good if they don't reach the right people - like Crested who as a Senior is an opinion-former with the guys in his Troop....and maybe here as well !

Le Chevre

11. Try getting the opinion of those not in management at TFSU and you may learn the reality behind the aspirations.

12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Yeah....that was, in fact , largely the point of my post.

I also saw your post in the other WFM thread ( never sure which is the proper one).

If you want to PM me about the problems with the new Battery conditioning kit I might be able to feed that back to the people buying it.

I saw it in BATUS. It works. The LAD there say it's good kit - in fact it's so good it disappears for private use, which is always a sign that the Army has finally got something that does the job.

I've also seen the turret fit you refer to and know a bit of the background with the PDS side of the house.

Be interested to hear why fitters in Germany can't make it work.

Le Chevre