Who'd have thought council emplyees are crooks (allegedly)

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by oldbaldy, Jun 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Been brewing for a while:

15 people charged over council repairs scandal - News - Scotsman.com
  2. Give it 10 minutes and Wee Eck will blame perfidious Albion.
  3. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Nah - he'll claim racial discrimination. They were just following their cultural traditions.

4. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

It's no wonder Edinburgh council tax payers are pee off with the lot of them when you add this to the tram debacle!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. This isn't new here in Embra, it has been brewing for a few years, it was only a matter of time before they were hauled up before the beak to answer for their part in it.
  6. In England we used to have Standards Boards, abolished this year under decentralization, along with the standard complaints procedures. If I'm not mistaken, councils now govern themselves, which is not News since no government's ever managed to control them. Councils are now supposed to prevent corruption and ensure high standards in local public life. However , the Localism Act gives more "flexibility and freedom" to local councils including localised policy and decisions on housing. Which, in just one example, probably means don't bother asking your council for a home. Things were bad enough before 2011 and you'll probably (still) be told by a foreign worker, that you have no local connection. As for corruption, councils couldn't function any other way. Allegedly.
  7. Many years ago in Bradford an establishment (let's call them 'Bradmet') measured up all the various car parks and school playgrounds etc, that needed re-tarmacing. However, they over-measured everything and then put in a price for the real amounts which were of course less than what their 'official' measurements were. All the other contractors bidding for work used Bradmet's measurements and of course even the cheapest came in over Bradmet's prices as they were all quoting for larger amounts.
    'Bradmet got the work, but then eventually Bradmet were found out and the shit hit the fan...
  8. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I know I've been following in it.
    What with this lot & TIE I think half the city must have been on the take & the other half paying for it!
    • Like Like x 1

9. Was that 15 - 20 years ago? I vaguely remember a lot more to it than that, and eventually a court case involving "Bradmet".

There was a "Bradmet" that was an early attempt at privatising local authority services by Bradford Metropolitan Council. Not sure if this is the same organisation you mention. Council Leader at around the time this happened was I believe called Eric Pickles. Interesting that the current Secretary of State for Local Government is also called Eric Pickles.
  10. Sounds like they modelled their working practices on another nearby former Metropolitan Borough Council spanning the River Don............
  11. You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment... ;-)

There's a lot of it about, apparently.
  12. For "city" read "country" and tah-dah, welcome to Britain!
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Following it!!! I've been/am fecking paying for it!!!!!

And as all the parties have their fingers in the pie and regardless of who gets elected it carries on, then I suppose I will carry on paying for it.

The last local election changed **** all!!
  14. You can't blame some council employees for being dodgy, when you look at who their "bosses" are. No one is more corrupt than most local councillors. Not in the sense of "brown envelopes" (though I'm sure that occours), but councillors doing "favours", putting party interests before their constituents interests, getting what to some would be a (good) annual salary for what councillors call "public service" etc.
  15. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

You have my sympathy. The poor buggers who were getting stung with this scam also have it. I did read about one block that needed roof repairs, the occupants got quotes, all for around the £5k mark, but oh no that wasn't good enough for the council & they ended up being billed over £100k for shite workmanship.