Who'd have thought council emplyees are crooks (allegedly)

oldbaldy

LE
Been brewing for a while:

POLICE have charged 15 people as part of a fraud probe into the city council’s property care department, it was revealed today.

Four former council employees are among those to be charged in relation to repairs carried out to local authority buildings. It is understood the charges are not connected to the statutory notice scheme.

A police spokesman said the four former employees aged 42, 45, 59 and 62 had been charged with “alleged corruption and fraud”.

Meanwhile, a further nine men and two women aged between 30 and 64 have also been charged with “alleged fraud, corruption and money laundering offences” as part of the same inquiry.

A spokesman said: “The Procurator Fiscal has been briefed and a full report will be submitted in due course.”

Mark Turley, the council’s director of services for communities, said: “The council’s investigation has identified major concerns in both property care and property conservation.

“As a result, seven staff have been dismissed so far with a number of cases still under consideration. This shows that since this service became my responsibility in March 2011 these concerns have been taken very seriously.

“We are working hard to deal with the significant numbers of customer complaints and to ensure that in future services are accountable to customers and that the necessary checks and balances are built-in.

“I would thank people for their patience and re-assure them that we will deal with their complaints thoroughly and as quickly as we possibly can.”
15 people charged over council repairs scandal - News - Scotsman.com

oldbaldy

LE
It's no wonder Edinburgh council tax payers are pee off with the lot of them when you add this to the tram debacle!

This isn't new here in Embra, it has been brewing for a few years, it was only a matter of time before they were hauled up before the beak to answer for their part in it.

T

Tremaine

In England we used to have Standards Boards, abolished this year under decentralization, along with the standard complaints procedures. If I'm not mistaken, councils now govern themselves, which is not News since no government's ever managed to control them. Councils are now supposed to prevent corruption and ensure high standards in local public life. However , the Localism Act gives more "flexibility and freedom" to local councils including localised policy and decisions on housing. Which, in just one example, probably means don't bother asking your council for a home. Things were bad enough before 2011 and you'll probably (still) be told by a foreign worker, that you have no local connection. As for corruption, councils couldn't function any other way. Allegedly.

Many years ago in Bradford an establishment (let's call them 'Bradmet') measured up all the various car parks and school playgrounds etc, that needed re-tarmacing. However, they over-measured everything and then put in a price for the real amounts which were of course less than what their 'official' measurements were. All the other contractors bidding for work used Bradmet's measurements and of course even the cheapest came in over Bradmet's prices as they were all quoting for larger amounts.
'Bradmet got the work, but then eventually Bradmet were found out and the shit hit the fan...

oldbaldy

LE
This isn't new here in Embra, it has been brewing for a few years, it was only a matter of time before they were hauled up before the beak to answer for their part in it.
I know I've been following in it.
What with this lot & TIE I think half the city must have been on the take & the other half paying for it!

Many years ago in Bradford an establishment (let's call them 'Bradmet') measured up all the various car parks and school playgrounds etc, that needed re-tarmacing. However, they over-measured everything and then put in a price for the real amounts which were of course less than what their 'official' measurements were. All the other contractors bidding for work used Bradmet's measurements and of course even the cheapest came in over Bradmet's prices as they were all quoting for larger amounts.
'Bradmet got the work, but then eventually Bradmet were found out and the shit hit the fan...

Was that 15 - 20 years ago? I vaguely remember a lot more to it than that, and eventually a court case involving "Bradmet".

There was a "Bradmet" that was an early attempt at privatising local authority services by Bradford Metropolitan Council. Not sure if this is the same organisation you mention. Council Leader at around the time this happened was I believe called Eric Pickles. Interesting that the current Secretary of State for Local Government is also called Eric Pickles.

C

cloudbuster

Sounds like they modelled their working practices on another nearby former Metropolitan Borough Council spanning the River Don............

Was that 15 - 20 years ago? I vaguely remember a lot more to it than that, and eventually a court case involving "Bradmet".

There was a "Bradmet" that was an early attempt at privatising local authority services by Bradford Metropolitan Council. Not sure if this is the same organisation you mention. Council Leader at around the time this happened was I believe called Eric Pickles. Interesting that the current Secretary of State for Local Government is also called Eric Pickles.
You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment... ;-)

Sounds like they modelled their working practices on another nearby former Metropolitan Borough Council spanning the River Don............
There's a lot of it about, apparently.

What with this lot & TIE I think half the city must have been on the take & the other half paying for it!
For "city" read "country" and tah-dah, welcome to Britain!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I know I've been following in it.
Following it!!! I've been/am fecking paying for it!!!!!

And as all the parties have their fingers in the pie and regardless of who gets elected it carries on, then I suppose I will carry on paying for it.

The last local election changed **** all!!

You can't blame some council employees for being dodgy, when you look at who their "bosses" are. No one is more corrupt than most local councillors. Not in the sense of "brown envelopes" (though I'm sure that occours), but councillors doing "favours", putting party interests before their constituents interests, getting what to some would be a (good) annual salary for what councillors call "public service" etc.

oldbaldy

LE
Following it!!! I've been/am fecking paying for it!!!!!

And as all the parties have their fingers in the pie and regardless of who gets elected it carries on, then I suppose I will carry on paying for it.

The last local election changed **** all!!
You have my sympathy. The poor buggers who were getting stung with this scam also have it. I did read about one block that needed roof repairs, the occupants got quotes, all for around the £5k mark, but oh no that wasn't good enough for the council & they ended up being billed over £100k for shite workmanship.

oldbaldy

LE
Who'd have thought this!
THE top secret Deloitte report into the Capital’s property repairs scandal will not be made available to residents because it is “not in the public interest”, according to council officials.

Even though staff have been sacked, with police and financial investigators brought in and thousands of families left in misery, bosses have refused to release the report via Freedom of Information legislation due to an exemption.
Continues:
Property repairs scandal report is not in the public interest, say council chiefs Scotsman.com

and more:
Repairs scandal bosses

oldbaldy

LE
And so it goes on
WORKERS from five companies have been charged as part of the city’s property scandal, the Evening News can reveal today.

Associates of the firms, which are based across Edinburgh and the Lothians, were charged on June 27 after a lengthy investigation into the city’s property care department.

The five companies involved are Action Building Contracts, which has since gone into administration, Corstorphine Roofing, KM Contracts, 
J Walker Painting & Decorating and Euro Environmental Contracts Ltd.

Also charged are four ex-council employees and six associates of council workers.
continues

Workers from five firms face charges over repairs scandal - News - Scotsman.com