Whod be a Tory

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sven, Jul 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After the leadership contest everything was tickityboo in Toryland.

But then!!!

And worse

And here it is in The Times, including all eight emails in glorious techicolour

2. Its not really a shock to hear that the lunatic fringe of the party are playing silly b*ggers, now that the post-leadership contest public goodwill has cooled. The true test of whether Cameron is an electable leader will be if he can beat the likes of Edward Leigh.

The model for this is clear - Blair used his public popularity to persuade the bulk of his party to abandon Clause 4 and other sacred cows. He faced off the old guard and won. Cameron has to do the same.

For those who say he has no principles - I'd probably agree. But he doesn't need to state his principles x years before an election, in order to have the press (and his party) stab him in the back and second-guess his policies. Why not make vague, populist statements until 6 months before the election, then release a well thought out, comprehensive set of policies. That is exactly what Blair, in opposition, did to Major and the Tories back in 1997.

3. Noddy winky thingy with you all the way until you said Blair released a set of well thought out comprehensive policies. I seem to remember he issued a set of meaningless soundbites, Tough on Crime - Education education - Four legs good two legs bad etc.

4. I'm a big fan of DC, if he keeps buggering about with the tory party, annoying all the old crusty beggers and blue rinse brigade, theres fat chance they'll ever get in power. Now thats a good thing!

5. until the torys get a grip and realise the world has changed a lot there never going to get back into power there in the postion of labour being lead by kinnock (i know he was an irratating welsh windbag but he got rid of most of the I love the soviet union types and almost made labour elcetable again ).
    guess we can look forward to gordon running the place for another 6 years unless theres a disaster or a miracle :twisted: