Who would make a good SoS for Defence?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by King_of_the_Burpas, Jul 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, so we’re agreed that the current SoS for Defence, Bob Ainsworth is not up to the job.

Nor is the hastily promoted Armed Forces Minister Bill Rammell. Nor are assorted throbbers like David Crausby – the MP for Lettingsoldiersdieandlearninglessonslater.

It must be quite clear in Downing Street that it was a mistake to appoint a bunch of communists, union conveners, British Rail management trainees and groveling ‘yes men’ to such important ministerial positions, especially prior to the start of Operation Panther’s Claw. Well, it must be now, as they read the newspapers and weep.

So who do we pick instead?

Granted, a circus chimp would offer a greater insight into the brief that the current shower and would be a lot cheaper too: expenses would run to a few bananas, a squeaky toy and some J-Cloths.

But let’s try and come up with a sensible candidate for the top job; someone who actually knows something about the military, about helicopters, about the arguments concerning armour and mobility.
    Someone who has actually served in the British Army might be a good pick.

I nominate Patrick Mercer, Tory MP for Newark and Retford, currently the Shadow Minister for Homeland Security.

He served in The Sherwood Foresters. He did nine tours in Norn Iron and understands the current arguments regarding helicopters, IEDs and proper armoured vehicles.

He also commanded his battalion in Bosnia and has possibly done some other things (Persec)…..

He would be ideal, imho.

Are there any other candidates out there who actually know what they’re talking about and who might do a better job than Ainsworth / Bubbles the Chimp?

Perhaps we should send a list to Downing St and to The Boy Dave, who is going to inherit all this when Labour are immoliated by an outraged electorate and driven from power.

A competent Secretary of State for Defence is as much a priority as a competent Chancellor.
  2. msr

msr LE

Litotes :)
  3. The key word, msr was "sensible". Oh ... hang on ....
  4. Patrick's the man, but he's too plain speaking for the modern political age. Of course, it doesn't need to be an MP or member of the House of Lords - someone can just be co-opted. In which case I'd go for Tim Collins, or possibly Joanna Lumley?
  5. Gen Dannatt?
  6. Duke of Edinburgh
  7. Earmarked for Foreign Sec.
  8. Joanna lumley
  9. Although an obvious choice and would bring an acceptable degree of insight to the role, is he politcally tainted enough to allow common sense and strategic decisions he knows need making to overrule (personal) political ambition and the government line?

I personally don't always agree that old soldiers necessarily make good politicians, even defence/Armed forces ones.
  10. Failing any of the above, I'll have a shot at it. I can't do any worse than the present SoS + I have more military experience.
    Now where do I claim expenses?
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Lord Guthrie.
  12. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Boris Johnson

I know, I know ... but he's highly intelligent, speaks his mind and seems prepared to consider alternatives to shooting people
  13. He's never struck me as being overly ambitious politically. Ainsworth, on the other hand ...

One thing's for sure, he'd stand his ground in a tussle with the Chancellor regarding levels of funding and how the dosh should be spent.

There are others - Col Stuart Tootal??

Assuming you could prise him away from Barclays.
  14. Might as well get someone who will make a proper job of things

After all, we don't need an independent nuclear deterrent do we. The world is a nice place full of flowers and butterflies, it must be, that nice European parliament says it is. Plus its all TOO much money darling! I mean how would we afford treating illegal immigrants on the NHS? Or sending ASBO kids off to Disneyworld Paris? if we get some new aircraft carriers, or helicopters. I mean what do they need helicopters for?

15. Fatty Soames. Ex 11th Hussars and Churchill's grandson. He's had experience in MoD and would be a good all-party coalition choice in a crisis - which this is.