Who Were We Fighting?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cyclic, Nov 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With masses of remembrance day coverage many tv reports state that Britain was at war with the Nazi`s , I was under the impression we were fighting the Germans,all of them? , is this a PC thing to save today's Germans from the embarrassment of their forefathers?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Of course it's a PC thing. I'm surprised it's not an offence to mention the countries we've fought.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Not to mention the Japanese, Italians, and occasionally the French.

4. Don't forget the yellow peril.

5. Too be fair over the years that's quite a list.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Well they are the masters now.

Speaking of the great patriotic war wasn't it Greater Germany, Japan, Italy, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria plus various hangers on and the USSR which changed sides.

7. Well if you're talking about WWII, then the Germans, Italians (the rest of the European axis countries pretty much know and acknowledge what went on etc.

Japan on the other hand doesn't. I don't even think they teach it much in schools beyond Japans own suffering.

No mention of chemical or biological warfare against the Chinese, nothing on the beheading games, treatment of Allied POWs, civilian massacres...

8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

arent the french well overdue for a shoeing? perhaps in a similar manner to this practice of modern beat combo's going back on tour to play the songs from one of their particularly well recieved waxings? I can see it now - 'Her Majesty's Forces - Greatest Hits Tour'.

9. Fawlty Towers - Don't mention the war.mpg - YouTube

10. As mentioned above, if the 'German' role has had a PC makeover it's nothing compared to how the reputation of the French has been buffed up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I like the fact that even when they were supposed to be on our side they took a considerable slapping, seems old habbits die hard, Navy (pre ipod) had a default setting to **** over the French. Even the army couldn't resist a crack (op Ironclad).

12. Google is your friend..WIKI extract......

Nazi Germany (German: Nazideutschland), also known as the Third Reich (German: Drittes Reich)

[TABLE="class: infobox geography vcard vevent, width: 290"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: mergedtoprow fn org summary, colspan: 2, align: center"]Greater German Reich
    Großdeutsches Reich
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 50"]↓[/TD]
    [TD]1933–1945[/TD]
    [TD="width: 50"]↓[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: mergedtoprow"]
    [TD="class: maptable, colspan: 2"][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD="align: center"][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Flag[/TD]
    [TD]National Insignia[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"]Motto
    Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer
    "One People, one Reich, one Führer"[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"]Anthem
    Das Lied der Deutschen (official)

First stanza of
    Das Lied der Deutschen
    followed by Horst-Wessel-Lied[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

13. Don't forget the Italians they were on the side of the Germans when they were winning. When Gerry started loosing the they thought it would be a good idea to swap sides !

• Like Like x 1
  14. Might be easier to ask who we haven't fought with in the last few hundred years. We could start with the Civil war a good blue on blue and work it up from there.
    Rc

• Like Like x 1
  15. But technically, the German Armed Forces came under the control of the Nazis, ergo we were fighting the Nazis?

Or have I missed something? :?