Who Were The US Army 'Blanketheads'

This will seem like an odd place to ask this, but, as usual, USGov has no useful information.

I met some in the Army who became a close, but not intimate, friend.

The only thimg he told me about hsi previous unit was that they were called the 'Blanketheads' because their berets were made out if what appeared to be US Army blanket wool, and that they were stationed at Fort Wainright, Alaska in the early 1970s, and they were straight leg infantry.

The actual name of the unit would help me make a point in another forum.

I would greatly appreciate any help that you can give me.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
This will seem like an odd place to ask this, but, as usual, USGov has no useful information.

I met some in the Army who became a close, but not intimate, friend.

The only thimg he told me about hsi previous unit was that they were called the 'Blanketheads' because their berets were made out if what appeared to be US Army blanket wool, and that they were stationed at Fort Wainright, Alaska in the early 1970s, and they were straight leg infantry.

The actual name of the unit would help me make a point in another forum.

I would greatly appreciate any help that you can give me.

There's loads of stuff about them if you Google it.

Just finished reading the wiki article, and I am confused by the re flagging.

What does it mean, does a unit simply get told, you're not E troop 4th Cavalry any more, you're E troop 5th Cavalry.

How does this sort of chop and change square with the references to unit lineages and traditions?

This is a genuine question, can someone from across the pond elucidate?

What does it mean, does a unit simply get told, you're not E troop 4th Cavalry any more, you're E troop 5th Cavalry.

How does this sort of chop and change square with the references to unit lineages and traditions?

US Army Lineage practice can be Schizophrenic at best.

For years US Army Special Forces had the lineage of the WWII Ranger Bn's while the Ranger Bn's had the lineage of Merrill's Marauders and the OSS for some bizarre reason.

A Infantry Bn I was in was to be disbanded in 1993. We were told we would be sent to other units as fillers, 2 weeks before disbanding My company suddenly were made part of 10th Mountain division as a complete rifle company. We switched guidon flag, unit crests and shoulder patches were issued NEW M16A2's and continued as we had before in a new Bn. The other bn members were split up among 4-5 other units.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
So Regimental/Battallion/Squadron/Battery history and traditions - as we would recognise then are totally alien to the US DOD?

How do you instill esprit d'corps without unit history?

So Regimental/Battallion/Squadron/Battery history and traditions - as we would recognise then are totally alien to the US DOD?

How do you instill esprit d'corps without unit history?
It does become a bit like snakes and ladders......
Their idea of light fighters is interesting

The US Army often needs a unit of a slightly different nature than anything they have currently available, but they want to create it with a recognizable lineage. For Instance, when the Air Cavalry concept was accepted, they didn't have any such units, so they combined two concepts, Airborne and Cavalry, and resurrected the 1st (Airborne later to become Airmobile) Cavalry Division. When I joined the Army in 1974, my first posting out of training was to 'B' Troop, 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division.

At a lower level, I saw the formation of the 5th Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division. As I remember it it was made up of 'straight leg' (not jump qualified) infantry, but I don't really remember.

Some units in the US Army have gaps of decades in their lineage, only to reappear in some completely unexpected form.

Basically, who knows?

The Spams don't go much on lineage or history.
They have stuff that happened before and the idea that you are a soldier first and anything else is just a bolt on that can be discarded or changed as needed.

This is purely a personal opinion gained by working with and for a few of them so if there is some huge regimental tradition thing i missed then , sue me! ;)

The Spams don't go much on lineage or history.
They have stuff that happened before and the idea that you are a soldier first and anything else is just a bolt on that can be discarded or changed as needed.

This is purely a personal opinion gained by working with and for a few of them so if there is some huge regimental tradition thing i missed then , sue me! ;)

I assume that the US is the spams? If so you are quite right..

Imagine the surprise of all the units that suddenly became parts of the 1st Cavalary, especially 1/7. :)

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
172nd Infantry beret display. The colour does resemble the traditional army blanket.

post-131-1348896600.jpg

Latest Threads