Who Wants To Be Frozen?

Bit of a sad story in that involved a young girl being given hope in her last days. Girl, 14, who died of cancer cryogenically frozen after telling judge she wanted to be brought back to life 'in hundreds of years'
But apart from the tenuous hope- in the face of current medical opinion, and good faith- in someone not unplugging the freezer and heading off to Vegas with your life savings... apart from that, who's up for it?

I listened to a bit on this topic on 5 Live and they interviewed a woman who said that she didn't fancy being buried or going up a chimney and was spending £40k on having her brain preserved like a fishfinger. When the presenter asked her what if it went wrong, the stupid bint said she wouldn't care because she wouldn't know anything about it! Although she obviously hadn't applied the same logic to being buried / burnt.
I wonder, with the population ever on the up and resources ever scarcer, whether our descendants would bother resurrecting such inferior brains even if it became possible.

I mean it might be nice to listen to an authentic voice from 1000s of years ago but most of the people from then would seem like boring bellends to us, dripping on about leaky hovels and sores and stuff.
Presuming that your frozen head is packaged with some sort of letter to the future, what would you write to persuade the cnuts to defrost you?

Last edited:
I would hope that said judge would have had the young girl psyched to make sure she knew it was what she wanted. Bit of a crappy thing if there's no guarantee but we all used to believe in fairy tales at one time. :cool:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
its a weird concept
mind on the upside some yanks are making plenty of dosh from it
but it is just as likely that they will go out of business and the place defrost
already happened in a few places, I have seen photos of funeral homes that went tits up, and the local authorities ahd to clear up the mess

I would hope that said judge would have had the young girl psyched to make sure she knew it was what she wanted. Bit of a crappy thing if there's no guarantee but we all used to believe in fairy tales at one time. :cool:

For her of course it was the idea that was all important. She is unlikely to see the realisation of her dream but died a little happier that she was getting her chance to follow it. I don't believe in the process but who has this judgement hurt?

Edited for mad english.

Reasons not to do it: -
Cost
Risk of being switched off
Waste of money that could go to the kids
Chances of being resurrected effectively next to zero [trust me I'm a biochemist, I used to freeze cells for a living, yeast cells robust rugged buggers used to living alone, kept in some pretty carcinogenic fluids to aid recovery; survival rates ~40 %, mammalian cells, delicate little things, typically less than 20% recovery, trouble is you won't work if only 20% of you is 'alive'].
Finally suppose you are recovered fit and well in just 150 years time, Brexit and D Trump may seem like the tip of the iceberg if society has moved as far as it has in the last 150 years. Think of the worst 20 things that might happen then assume they all will.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Reasons not to do it: -
Cost
Risk of being switched off
Waste of money that could go to the kids
Chances of being resurrected effectively next to zero [trust me I'm a biochemist, I used to freeze cells for a living, yeast cells robust rugged buggers used to living alone, kept in some pretty carcinogenic fluids to aid recovery; survival rates ~40 %, mammalian cells, delicate little things, typically less than 20% recovery, trouble is you won't work if only 20% of you is 'alive'].
Finally suppose you are recovered fit and well in just 150 years time, Brexit and D Trump may seem like the tip of the iceberg if society has moved as far as it has in the last 150 years. Think of the worst 20 things that might happen then assume they all will.
It's no more salving peoples fears than religion - let em do what they want to do.........

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Old story.

Bloke prepares to be frozen after death. Dies. Wakes up 100 years later. "Can I borrow a phone? I need to see how my policies performed that were to pay me in the future – now."

Gets the reply from his brokerage, "Your portfolio performed rather better than we expected. It's worth two hundred billion."

He returns the phone. "Good news. How much do I owe you for the call?"

"A billion."

An academic was on LBC this morning and he called it nonsense and trying to bring someone back to life after cell death would be like trying to un-burn paper.

I agree with Greyfergie though - if she passed on a little more peacefully, where's the harm?

I already am had to put the heating on a little while ago

If it were to happen and in 200 years time she is cured and woken up she would not know anything or anybody in the world. I suppose it would be like being on arrse

I don't get the logic of it all they want to be frozen till a cure is found to whatever killed them but if its already killed them then no cure is going to do **** all

In the case of the teenage corpse, who continues paying the cryo company when the parents die?

What's the penalty for non payment-- reconstitution as soylent green, "recycled"" through the nearest piggery, or dumped in a skip?

I'm just thinking about some poor soco in 2216 trying to work out the time of death.

Or need we not worry, as the zombie apcalypse will make itt all moot anyway?

Latest Threads