Who to fundraise for?

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Fundraiser, Apr 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I have raised funds in the past for Breast Cancer Care and worked for a few months as a regional co-ordinator of an organisation, this stopped when doubts were raised about the person in charge. This year I am hoping to do something for a service based charity. However there are so many to choose from and I want to help a charity who is perhaps not so well known as opposed to one that already recieves a high percentage of the money people donate/raise. I realise all the charities do some amazing work and hope this does not come across badly on my part for my decison to think this way.
    I am really stuggling to decide which one though.
    What I would like to do is walk a mile for each british soldiers life that has been lost in Afghanistan since 2001. This would be a huge thing for me to do as I really am not the fittest person and drive everywhere.
    I am posting this here in the hope that someone might advise me as to what charites I should look further into.
  2. Hols4Heros? Our own in-house charity?
  3. I have lurked before I joined to ask my question and have seen this pop up a few times and it was one of the ones I had considered. Am thinking the decision has been made. Thanks for your reply.
  4. I am hoping to get well enough to do some fund raising for both RBL and SSAFA.

Although H4H has good intentions in mind, the real work is done by charities acting in the background and not seeking press attention or celebrity endorsments.

The guys in Headley Court or Selly Oak are always supported by SSAFA, as well as their families. My wife was able to stay at SSAFA accomodation for nearly 3 months while I was in, free of charge. This costs them money, and the only way they get it is from people like you.

Just a thought.
  5. St. Dunstan's, the charity for blind ex-servicemen and women, are hoping to open a new centre in Llandudno in 2011 to cater for the guys coming back from the Ghan who have been blinded. We would be only too willing to support you should you decide to fundraise for us. Like all service charities, we depend on public donations to survive.
  6. I am hoping to get a few other kind (stupid) people to do this with me and if so will raise funds for a charity each.
  7. Combat Strees is another to consider, they are going to need as much money as they can get the way the NHS ignores veterans with mental injury.
  8. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Veterans' Aid as they provide beds for homeless ex servicemen and women

British Limbless Ex Servicemen's Association - they take the boys and girls off on adventure training as well as providing physical rehabilitation

Both have been around for decades and potter along in the background doing an outstanding job.

What's the route of your walk as I'm sure we could drum up a bunch of people to go with you?
  9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It's entirely your choice of course but I usually donate to Erskine.
  10. Combat Stress and BLESMA, both been around a long time and having to deal with a heavy increase in their case loads due to recent ops.
  11. Wheels are now in motion. Have myself and 5 others so far. All of us have had Fathers in the Army and we all met in Germany. Am waiting to hear back from a few more. Have selected 5 charities: SSAFA, St Dunstan's, Veterans' Aid, Combat Stress and Holidays 4 Heroes.
    With the reason for deciding the distance, we have chosen to walk 300 miles. At the moment we are thinking of ending up in Wootten Bassett, 300 miles gives us a start point of somewhere by Newcastle. Route is still to be confirmed, but thats what we are thinking.
    If anyone has a rough idea of our route (not asking anyone to plan it for me) and can maybe make some suggestions of barracks we might ask to put us up as we pass, I would be so grateful for contact details.
    Thanks for all the ideas and we hope to raise plenty of money to support the good work these charities do.
    Facebook group has been set up, if anyone wants to join/have a nosey.

12. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Rather than Wootten Basset why not finish at St Dunstan's Ovingdean near Brighton?
    They have another place at Sheffield, distance between the two approx 230 miles, I'm sure you could detour to make it the 300.

13. Thanks, will look at routes doing that. Kind of makes sense.
  14. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

You could also pop into veterans Aid in London.
    For SSAFA Norton Homes are most high profile for what you want to do, so the Headley Court one may be possible for you.
    As for Hols for Heroes, MDN lives in Blackpool & I wouldn't wish either it or him on fresh faced young women like yourselves. :D

15. This is definatly going to take some planning, thanks for your ideas. I have seen a few of MDN's post. Scary enough to read, so will give Blackpool a miss.