Who to call Sir?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Civilian, Aug 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If your a Civy working for the MoD, but attached to an Army/TA unit who do you call Sir/Mam?
    CSM, RSM, Captains, Majors or Lt/Col's?

2. None of the above, you're a civilian. Ask the individuals what they'd like to be called. Try Mr ........ for warrant officers and subalterns and their rank for captains and above.

3. None of them - or any other rank. The convention for officers is to use their rank, unless invited to use their Christian name - eg Good Morning Colonel Bloggs.

For Lt/Warrant Officers (RSM/CSM etc) it is more appropriate, unless again invited to use their Christian name, to use 'Mr' when addressing them eg RSM Bloggs becomes Mr Bloggs etc.

4. Agreed. None of them. Unless you are asking if they want fries with their burger.

5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

As a civvy, you should call everyone Sir who doesn't wear a uniform.

Know your place.

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I find 'mate' works in almost every situation.

7. Now that made me laugh! 8)

Cheers for the quick replies folks.

8. Remember to doff your cap as well. :D

9. The accomodation they put you in should give you an idea of your place in the pecking order.

10. or accommodation even!

11. indeed.

12. 'Tosh' worked fine for me.

13. Spot on.

This also applies to retired officers serving in military establishments who come into contact with serving personnel in my view. They may retain their rank as a form of address but they should no longer be called Sir by anyone other than the fellow selling burgers alluded to above.

14. Quite clearly, anyone with the intellect to correct your terrible DW. For now that is, once you've called a few people 'Sir/Ma'am' you'll be an expert......

15. Just a tip - if they are female, don't call them sir, either. :)