Who to call Sir?

#2
Civilian said:
If your a Civy working for the MoD, but attached to an Army/TA unit who do you call Sir/Mam?
CSM, RSM, Captains, Majors or Lt/Col's?
None of the above, you're a civilian. Ask the individuals what they'd like to be called. Try Mr ........ for warrant officers and subalterns and their rank for captains and above.
 
#3
Civilian said:
If your a Civy working for the MoD, but attached to an Army/TA unit who do you call Sir/Mam?
CSM, RSM, Captains, Majors or Lt/Col's?
None of them - or any other rank. The convention for officers is to use their rank, unless invited to use their Christian name - eg Good Morning Colonel Bloggs.

For Lt/Warrant Officers (RSM/CSM etc) it is more appropriate, unless again invited to use their Christian name, to use 'Mr' when addressing them eg RSM Bloggs becomes Mr Bloggs etc.
 

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
#5
As a civvy, you should call everyone Sir who doesn't wear a uniform.

Know your place.
 

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#6
I find 'mate' works in almost every situation.
 
#12
Ravers said:
I find 'mate' works in almost every situation.
'Tosh' worked fine for me.
 
#13
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
Civilian said:
If your a Civy working for the MoD, but attached to an Army/TA unit who do you call Sir/Mam?
CSM, RSM, Captains, Majors or Lt/Col's?
None of them - or any other rank. The convention for officers is to use their rank, unless invited to use their Christian name - eg Good Morning Colonel Bloggs.

For Lt/Warrant Officers (RSM/CSM etc) it is more appropriate, unless again invited to use their Christian name, to use 'Mr' when addressing them eg RSM Bloggs becomes Mr Bloggs etc.
Spot on.

This also applies to retired officers serving in military establishments who come into contact with serving personnel in my view. They may retain their rank as a form of address but they should no longer be called Sir by anyone other than the fellow selling burgers alluded to above.
 
#14
Civilian said:
If your a Civy working for the MoD, but attached to an Army/TA unit who do you call Sir/Mam?
CSM, RSM, Captains, Majors or Lt/Col's?
Civilian said:
If you're a Civvy working for the MoD, but attached to an Army/TA unit who do you call Sir/Ma'am?
CSM, RSM, Capt's, Maj's or Lt Col's ?
Quite clearly, anyone with the intellect to correct your terrible DW. For now that is, once you've called a few people 'Sir/Ma'am' you'll be an expert......
 
#15
Just a tip - if they are female, don't call them sir, either. :)
 
#16
Unlucky_Alf said:
This also applies to retired officers serving in military establishments who come into contact with serving personnel in my view. They may retain their rank as a form of address but they should no longer be called Sir by anyone other than the fellow selling burgers alluded to above.
so in your opinion, soldiers should not call retired officers in RO posts "sir"?
 
#17
You should call all regiments and all ranks by "cheesy helmet", barring the First or Grenadier Regiment of Foot. (Grenadier Guards) Where you should be expected to march with your hypes shoulder high and adopt the feotal position in the company of all serving personnel. Weekend,s would be slightly laxer, you would be allowed to adopt the position of a small petrified dog.

You should, of course, also be expected to clean the underpants of said serving personnel.

Hope this helps
 
#18
don't forget civil serpants grade D and above who are supposedly equivilent to Captain...hahahahhahahahah.....biggest fcuk laugh i've ever heard!!!
 
#20
Danny_Dravot said:
don't forget civil serpants grade D and above who are supposedly equivilent to Captain...hahahahhahahahah.....biggest fcuk laugh i've ever heard!!!
They are equivalent of Captain for admin purposes only. It allows people to identify accommodation requirements etc. They are not, nor do they believe they are equivalent to Captain. (Except the occasional bell end)
 

Similar threads

Top