Who stole Global Warming!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sunnoficarus, Feb 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good. Can we have R12 back?
  2. This ain't news... I remember watching some programmes from the Open University, way, way back in the late 70's - they went on about three main cycles to do with the Earth's orbit and something about the Sun. The experts were predicting an oncoming ice age. I guess it all got forgotten about with all the hoo-haa about global warming. Now, I heard, they reckon one will hold off the other.

Funny enough, I read a short Sci-Fi story, written about ten-fifteen years back, where mankind had made a successful attempt to clean up pollution and what-not, resulting in the ice age returning. Currently, the temperature outside of my house is about -23'C, so it makes bugger difference to me anyway...
  3. Global warming never existed. David Bellamy says so.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. So when are we getting the green tax refund then?
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

horizon on sunday afternoons counting the meter money out with my dad was allways on about the next iceage - thatcher supported the idea of warming until she read the science on it.

cameron needs to start listening to the old guard instead of trying to out do nu labour.

I dont remember a standard year of cold wet winter, hot dry summer since the 80's. now there is so much money in the warming lobby they wont be able to give it up so when the thames does freeze it will no doubt be due to co2.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I also remember the big scare of a returning ice age when I was growing up in the 70's, I seem to remember, but could be mistaken as it seems a long time ago now, that they were thinking of sooting up the poles to warm the earth up a bit... my how times have changed...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. And what about acid rain and the hole in the ozon layer? Or did that go out of fashion?
    • Like Like x 2
  8. The scientists lied to us because they didn't think we'd believe the truth.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Well quite a warm winter in New England. It was 62F and sunny today near Boston. I read in the news today that Environment Canada says that Canada is warmer than normal this winter and this is expected to be the trend until March or April. Since Ontario tends to sent it's second hand weather to the Boston area I am quite happy (given the cost of fuel oil here). The scientists are saying the warmer trend is not due to CO2 but changes in ocean currents in the Pacific changing the path of jet streams.

As to Al Gore's hypocrisy, what do you expect? He's a politician!! I should note that I have never voted for him for government office. (I must admit I did vote for him as a member of the Harvard University Board of Overseers)
  10. Cousin lives in northern British Columbia - was -32C last week... positively balmy
  11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I think the real problem was and still is man made pollution - acid rain, ozone holes and plastic islands but they tried to introduce climate change to make us stop shitting the place up. the problem is its now the cause of everything from hedgehog decline to smaller mars bars.

I guess its easier to get people to turn the heating down and walk to the corner shop rather than get out there and clean stuff up.

I do like the current theory that we might need so called man made global warming to keep the next ice age at bay by 1600 years IIRC
  12. That is what has been happening in Canada, usually the jet streams curve south bringing arctic air to central provinces, this year cold is staying north and south is warmer than normal.

CBC story here:
    Warm winter ahead for most of Canada - Canada - CBC News
  13. Curiously, due to global warming we're due for a tooth shatteringly cold spell where I live in mainland Europe. But nothing that hasn't happened in the past. Plus ca change...