Who should you vote for?

As an example Enlightenment said in one of the threads
I am utterly amazed that politicians that we all voted for can be so incredibly incompetent - but there is no-one else to vote for.
which is a variation of a question asked many times. So this raises the question "who should you vote for?"

Most members of this forum are either serving or former members of the armed forces and, as such, are familiar with the concepts of duty and public service. If you think that there is no-one worth voting for then surely it is your duty to find someone who is. If you are unable or unwilling to put yourself in the position then you should be looking for someone who shares your ideals and values and you should support and encourage them to stand.

Being a Member of Parliament is supposed to be a Public Service Job and the job is to represent the people, the constituents, at a national level and to participate in the management of the country on their behalf. Public Service requires sacrifice and whether that is time, privacy, personal opportunity or any other facet of the individuals' life the Public Servant must place the requirements of the job above their own self interest.

If you complain about the wrong people getting into parliament then you need to find the right ones and help them get there. If you think that the general population have no interest or connection with politics then you need to educate them and encourage them to participate. If nobody makes the effort then what we are left with is the current crop of "professional" politicians who represent the party over the people.

I believe that the current government will cling on to power until the last possible moment and, barring a significant change in circumstances, that gives us two years to set up a change. Can you be bothered to help the country out of its current malaise or will you just sit there and complain about self-serving politicians and bad policy.

I've had enough of the state we're in and so I'm in the process of setting myself up to stand as an MP next time around, what are you going to do?

Julian

oldbaldy

LE
So which paper do you work for Julian?

Julian_Walker said:
I've had enough of the state we're in and so I'm in the process of setting myself up to stand as an MP next time around, what are you going to do?

Julian
What party do you belong Julian?

Julian_Walker said:

Julian
I am giving a gazillion quid to assorted non New Liebour parties, knocking on doors and leafleting etc

I am also planning a number of weapons stockpiles for when the inevitable day of reckoning arrives and Albion shall be washed in the blood of the un groovy.

OR

oldbaldy said:
So which paper do you work for Julian?
Predictable response I suppose but let me ask you this, why should I be working for a paper?

The thread title is a rhetorical question, I am not asking who you're going to vote for I'm asking what are you willing to do to make a difference. No specific answer is required and the purpose of the thread is to stimulate discussion and to spread ideas in order to get the right kind of people in government.

I'm not asking you to vote for me (if you live in the constituency I intend to stand for), if I can't convince you that I'm the right man for the job then I don't deserve to be elected.

Julian

"Predictable response I suppose but let me ask you this, why should I be working for a paper"

Because you have 2 posts to your name, you are posting on a controversial issue in the run up to an election and journalists routinely trawl this site for information to get shock horror stories. Give us credentials, give us service history and try to convince us that you are real and people may take you seriously.

PS - contrary to claims by pretenders, I'm spartacus and so is my wife.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Vote for Sven!

Sorry. There's always one who takes it too far.

Julian_Walker said:
The thread title is a rhetorical question, I am not asking who you're going to vote for I'm asking what are you willing to do to make a difference. No specific answer is required and the purpose of the thread is to stimulate discussion and to spread ideas in order to get the right kind of people in government.
Maybe you should post on a rhetorical question website then instead.

Julian_Walker said:
As an example Enlightenment said in one of the threads
I am utterly amazed that politicians that we all voted for can be so incredibly incompetent - but there is no-one else to vote for.
which is a variation of a question asked many times. So this raises the question "who should you vote for?"

Most members of this forum are either serving or former members of the armed forces and, as such, are familiar with the concepts of duty and public service. If you think that there is no-one worth voting for then surely it is your duty to find someone who is. If you are unable or unwilling to put yourself in the position then you should be looking for someone who shares your ideals and values and you should support and encourage them to stand.

Being a Member of Parliament is supposed to be a Public Service Job and the job is to represent the people, the constituents, at a national level and to participate in the management of the country on their behalf. Public Service requires sacrifice and whether that is time, privacy, personal opportunity or any other facet of the individuals' life the Public Servant must place the requirements of the job above their own self interest.

If you complain about the wrong people getting into parliament then you need to find the right ones and help them get there. If you think that the general population have no interest or connection with politics then you need to educate them and encourage them to participate. If nobody makes the effort then what we are left with is the current crop of "professional" politicians who represent the party over the people.

I believe that the current government will cling on to power until the last possible moment and, barring a significant change in circumstances, that gives us two years to set up a change. Can you be bothered to help the country out of its current malaise or will you just sit there and complain about self-serving politicians and bad policy.

Julian
You've not been in politics long, have you lofty? :roll:

What party or what planet are you planning on running for?

jim30 said:
Because you have 2 posts to your name, you are posting on a controversial issue in the run up to an election and journalists routinely trawl this site for information to get shock horror stories. Give us credentials, give us service history and try to convince us that you are real and people may take you seriously.
Registering a new account because, on this issue, I do not want to be hiding behind a nom-de-plume means that my post count will start from scratch. I've not been a prolific poster in the last 2 years with my alter ego but I'm not fresh off the banana boat either.

You say that this is a controversial issue and I would disagree, all I've said is stop whining and do something about getting the right people to be MP's. Run up to an election, that's for local councils and doesn't affect MP's. The journo's I know about, but then again I've not asked for specific information.

Credentials and service history eh? Well I was 14/20H from '80 to '89, I have a degree in engineering so we might assume that I'm not a total divot, I work for a living and pay my taxes so I'm not a burden on society (sorry Sven, couldn't resist it) what more is there to say? Oh yeah, I'm not asking for your support except to do something about this bunch of arrse's who are ruining the country.

jim30 said:
PS - contrary to claims by pretenders, I'm spartacus and so is my wife.
Bit of a persec issue there mate, you're Karl Liebknecht and your wife is Rosa Luxemburg.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Julian_Walker said:
You've not been in politics long, have you lofty?
I do hope you're a pilot not an observer Flashy, otherwise we're doomed :wink:

For Sergei and Flashy I intend to run as an Independant but that's not the point, unless you happen to be in the constituency I intend to stand for.

Julian

Setting yourself up to be an MP doesn’t mean you've not been involved in politics. For all I knew, you could have been some random local councillor. :wink:

So, you were a tankie, eh? :roll:

I like your almost naive view point on politics (I mean that as a compliment btw) but unfortunately, it is or will be almost impossible to make any dent whatsoever in proceedings. Many have tried in the past and almost all have failed. The country is a two party nation (regardless of what that idiot sven suggests) and I don't see that changing for a long time. I'm not saying I agree with it, it's just how it is really.

Good luck all the same. If only more people in the game went for the 'clean slate' approach and actually had the same principles that you appear to have; i.e. a politico is a public servant.

As for us the voting public actually making the difference. That is of course true but in reality, apathy and tradition usually means one thing. The wrong cnuts always get in not because they are better but because not as many people have voted against them. Parliamentary democracy. Don’t ya just love it?

A little bit of googling (and avoiding lots of links on yoga) suggests that Julian Walker may not be a journo. Or, if he is, he's trying harder than most.

Some arrsers may know the individual too - we have a name, regiment and picture, which should narrow down the number of suspects ;)

Crabtobe said:
A little bit of googling (and avoiding lots of links on yoga) suggests that Julian Walker may not be a journo. Or, if he is, he's trying harder than most.

Some arrsers may know the individual too - we have a name, regiment and picture, which should narrow down the number of suspects ;)

Crikey. Move on poindexter!

So what if he is a journo? (I am reliably informed he is not). He's not exactly asking for gossip or trying to stir up a hornets nests. He just appears to be a former tankie laying his cards on the table that he intends to stand for the Independant party.

You can stand down the AJWAQRF if you want. :roll:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E The NAAFI Bar 3
Jip Travolta The Intelligence Cell 13
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 4