Who should be the new Speaker?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Auld-Yin, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Margaret Beckett

0 vote(s)
  2. Sir Alan Beith

3. John Bercow

4. Frank Field

5. Sir Patrick Cormack

6. Parmjit Dhanda

7. Sir Alan Hazelhurst

8. Sir Michael Lord

0 vote(s)
  9. Richard Shepherd

10. Sir George Young

11. Miss Ann Widdecombe

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Who would you vote for as Speaker tomorrow?

One of these people will be in charge of HoC from tomorrow with their nose in one of the biggest troughs going.

When they retire they go on to half-pay for life based on a current salary of £78,575 on top of his/her MPs salary (circa £141k in total) along with numerous 'perks'.

So who deserves this post?
  2. Me
    Would I be allowed to use corporal punishment to keep the thieving scum in line?

More seriously, I honestly don't think any of them are fit for the job.
  3. Auld-Yin

Just to put this into context: the people voting for a new Speaker will be the ones who have been caught screwing the system and fleecing the public purse for what they could get away with (albeit there are quite a few honourable exceptions).

The new Speaker is expected to clean up the system and restore parliament 's stature in the eyes of the nation.

So the people who have been digging deeply into the public purse are the ones who have to vote for the person to stop them doing this.

Turkeys, Christmas, for, voting - anyone?

I strongly believe that this is a missed opportunity to take away the Speaker role from politicians and open it up to someone who is worthy of the job. The post could be advertised and suitable candidates interviewed for the post on a contract, just like any other job.

It would also mean that one constituency did not lose their MP while they carried out the duties of Speaker.
  4. Ann Widdecombe would be great if she stood again at the next General Election. I really don't see the point in an interim speaker.
  5. If they are currently an MP or have ever served as an MP, then they're unfit to hold the office of speaker. They will have been tainted by the same grotesque greed as the rest.
  6. Where is the none of them option on the list?
  7. I voted Frank Fields. I don't agree with him politically, but he's a tough old sod that isn't afraid of butting heads and is relatively little affected by the expenses scandal.
  8. Auld-Yin

Because that is not an option. One of these toe-rags will be Speaker in the next day or so.
  9. Auld-Yin

I agree with you MikeMcc but you have just detailed the exact reasons why he won't be Speaker (IMHO) :evil:
  10. Aye, it will probably boil down to Bercow and Beckett who are each loathed by their own parties.
  11. Now there's some lazy stereotyping that doesn't reflect your usually good form.
  12. Oh 'carrots', being patronised by 'parapuke', you are the lucky one!
  13. I'm not being patronising, it's a genuine comment to reflect that he usually puts thought into such things and doesn't go for the easy answer.