Who says the Nigerian 419 scammers......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Aug 10, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't have a sense of humour?

Received in my inbox today, direct from one of the Lagos Lads....

FROM THE DESK OF:
    MR.WANG QIN
    HANG SENG BANK LTD.
    DES VOEUX RD.BRANCH
    CENTRAL HONG KONG
    HONG KONG.

Dear Friend,

I am Mr.Wang Qin, credit officer of Hang Seng Bank Ltd. I have an urgent and very confidential business proposition for you.

On June 6, 1998, a British Oil consultant/contractor with the Chinese Solid Minerals Corporation, Mr. Smith Lawrence made a numbered time (Fixed) Deposit
    for twelve calendar months, valued at US$28,000,000.00 (Twenty-eight Million Dollars only) in my branch. Upon maturity,I sent a routine notification to
    his forwarding address but got no reply. After a month, we sent a reminder and finally we discovered from his contract employers, the Hong Kong Solid
    Minerals Corporation that Mr. Smith Lawrence died from an automobile accident. On further investigation, I found out that he died without making
    a WILL, and all attempts to trace his next of kin was fruitless. I therefore made further investigation and discovered that Mr. Smith
    Lawrence did not declare any kin or relations in all his official documents, including his Bank Deposit paperwork in my Bank.
    This sum of US$28,000,000.00 is still sitting in my Bank and the interest is being rolled over with the
    principal sum at the end of each year. No one will ever come forward to claim it. According to Laws of Hong Kong, at the expiration of 5 (five) years, the money
    will revert to the ownership of the Hong Kong Government if nobody applies to claim the fund.

Consequently, my proposal is that I will like you as a foreigner to stand in as the next of kin to Mr. Smith Lawrence so that the fruits of this old man's
    labor will not get into the hands of some corrupt government officials.This is simple, I will like you to provide immediately your full names and address so that the
    attorney will prepare the necessary documents and affidavits that will put you in place as the next of kin. We shall employ the services of an attorney for
    drafting and notarization of the WILL and to obtain the necessary documents and letter of probate/administration in your favor for the transfer. A bank account in any
    part of the world that you will provide will then facilitate the transfer of this money to you as the beneficiary/next of kin.

The money will be paid into your account for us to share in the ratio of 70% for me and 25% for you and 5% for Expenses Incurred in the course of the
    transaction . There is no risk at all as all the paperwork for this transaction will be done by the attorney and with my position as the credit officer guarantees the
    successful execution of this transaction. If you are interested, please reply immediately to my email box.

Upon your response, I shall then provide you with more details and relevant documents that will help you understand the transaction. Please send me your
    confidential telephone and fax numbers for easy communication.

You should observe utmost confidentiality, and rest assured that this transaction would be most profitable for both of us because I shall require
    your assistance to invest my share in your country.

Awaiting your urgent reply.

Thanks and regards.

Mr.Wang Qin.

2. This sort of sh*te has been on the go for years. It's a couple of Nigerians who have in the past, actually succeeded in parting a few Brits from thier hard earned cash. The deal is that you provide them with your bank details and they will clean you out. They will go on to open credit cards on your details and so on. Anybody who falls for this line deserves all they get. They are playing upon the greed of others.

3. yup.

remember " if it too good to be true it probably is !!! ":roll:

4. ...and nice of them to warn you it's bollox..... I mean, who the hell would use the name "Wang Qin" - lol

As everyone says, if you get one of these, don't reply, it is a scam, there is no pot of gold.

5. msr

msr LE

Parting a few Brits....

Ma_Sonic:

HOW BIG IS THIS SCAM?

Think big, and then double it a few times. 419 fraud is one of Nigeria’s major industries, accounting for a significant slice of the country’s income. It is international, well organised, and has made billions of dollars for the perpetrators

http://www.the-ria.com/419.html

6. Cross refer to other threads @ Arrse:

Since April 2002:http://www.arrse.co.uk/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1200&sid=6851fae630fc66fafc282943d58bd6e2

If a 419 letter has found you already, then you are on the first rung of the ladder of an identity theft victim. See FS's excellent guide, also in finanace: http://www.arrse.co.uk/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1221&sid=75efa117faee3cf84956c3012b2b51a8

If you are in a high risk unit, you might want to tell your Unit Security Officer. :wink:

7. Not kidding. Lagos is one of the scariest cities on Earth. Before the new airport was built (a few years ago now) you were living the dodgy life if there was no-one to meet you when you left the security of Air France's 747. It's a bit better now but the big companies employ minders to keep innocents abroad from being fleeced.

The country is full of people doing the 419 scam, and they've exported it to a few other W African locations, Cote D'Ivoire looks after the francophone market. What is astonishing is that people are still falling for it. The police and various Government departments regularly get calls from businessmen trying to get their money back, and sometimes they turn up on the doorstep. Sad, really. :p

8. Saw a prog on this once, and the bod from Scotland Yard said that at any one time they are investigating 30-40 cases where people have been fleeced. And he said that the vast majority of people who get hit, don't report it becaus they are embarrassed/cagey about being involved in a scam.

And it isn't just the "I've got 10 million to shift" letters. It is also the "I'm a poor orphan with no legs, if you send me 10 dollars I can get an education". As they quite often use your letters/address to scam for Visas, money from your bank etc. Basically unfortunately unless you know exactly what you are doing don't touch with Bargepole.

9. http://www.scamorama.com/

If you're in an office, read it in a quiet moment. Laughing out loud might alert your boss to the fact you're not exactly grafting :D

And if anyone else gets these, feel free to cut and paste in this thread...

10. There is a special unit at the met to look after the 419 scam. They ask that anyone who recieves these letters pass them on to them. They may have hacked your address book, and now all your friends are geting the sme offer.

11. I don't know about you, but I remember when there was a great press fuss about these in about 1993, when they were faxes...it's amazing how people don't learn..

12. Was talking in the bar to one of our guys who is trading standard officer
    the sort of people who fall for this includes lawyers and busniess types who believe they know how nigeria works :D
    WAs a chap on tv last year in brighton who fell for this and lost everything :lol: and he had run a business wonder how many ruperts fall for it :?:

13. The latest line is these scams purports to be from Jewel Taylor, the wife of the exiled Liberian president. She wants your help to recover millions of dollars her husband has stashed in two trunks, 'somewhere in Europe'.

As Taylor only went into exile in Nigeria last week that's pretty sharp even by West African standards!

PS: Lagos is still the scariest city on earth.

14. HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL.

I AM MRS VERONICA REMMY AN ACCOUNTANT AND PERSONAL
    ADVISER TO THE SON OF THE LATE HEAD OF STATE, FEDERAL
    REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, GENERAL SANI ABACHA ON FINANCIAL
    MATTERS. SHORTLY BEFORE HIS DEATH HE MANDATED ME TO
    USE MY FIRM TO TRANSFER THE SUM OF US30M INTO ANY
    OVERSEAS COMPANIES BANK ACCOUNT AND FURTHER CREDIT THE
    SAME AMOUNT INTO HIS SWISS BANK ACCOUNT. THE ORIGIN OF
    THIS MONEY, I DO NOT KNOW, BUT HE HANDED TO ME ALL
    NECESSARY DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO EFFECT THE
    TRANSACTION. FEW WEEKS AFTER THE DOCUMENTS WERE MADE
    AVAILABLE TO ME HE DIED. FORTUNATELY HE DID NOT
    DISCLOSE THIS TRANSACTION TO ANY OF HIS FAMILY MEMBERS
    NOR HIS COLLEAGUES. I AM THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT
    IT.

THEREFORE, I HAVE DECIDED TO MAKE USE OF THIS
    OPPORTUNITY, I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY MOVED THE MONEY INTO
    A REPUTABLE SECURITY COMPANY ABROAD FOR MY OWN
    PERSONAL USE. I CANNOT MENTION THE COUNTRY FOR
    SECURITY REASON. THEREFORE, I AM SOLICITING FOR YOUR
    ASSISTANCE AND PERMISSION TO REMIT THIS SUM INTO YOUR
    ACCOUNT.

IF YOU AGREE TO ASSIST ME, YOUR COMMISSION WILL BE 30%
    OF THE TOTAL SUM, 60% WILL BE FOR THE PARTICIPANT HERE
    IN NIGERIA, WHILE REMAINING 10% HAS BEEN MAPPED OUT
    FOR ANY INCIDENTAL EXPENSES THAT MAY BE INCURRED BY
    BOTH PARTIES DURING THE COURSE OF THE TRANSACTION. I
    HAVE ALSO RESOLVED TO INVEST MY OWN SHARE IN YOUR
    COUNTRY AND WILL DEPEND ON YOUR EXPERTISE FOR
    GUIDANCE.

PLEASE NOTIFY ME OF YOUR INTEREST TO DO BUSINESS WITH
    ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. BE REST ASSURED THAT THERE IS
    ABSOLUTELY NO RISK INVOLVED IN THIS BUSINESS
    TRANSACTION.

LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR URGENT REPLY AND CO-OPERATION,
    PLEASE TREAT AS MOST CONFIDENTIAL.

15. Apparently Wang Qin keeps busy. Here he is arguing with a Dutchman:

http://badmuts.is-a-geek.net/

And here is his passport:

[​IMG]

(Something tells me he is not a Nigerian)

PS

First the Nigerians, then the South Africans, and now the Chinese. Who hasn't tried to scam me?

[​IMG]

wangqin77@internav.com

Dear Sir,

Let me start by introducing myself. I am Mr. Wang Qin credit officer of the Hang Seng Bank Ltd. I have a concealed business suggestion for you.

Before the U.S and Iraqi war our client General. Ibrahim Moussa who was with the Iraqi forces and also business man made a numbered fixed deposit for 18 calendar months, with a value of Twenty millions Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars only in my branch. Upon maturity several
    notice was sent to him, even during the war early this year. Again after the war another notification was sent and still no response came from him. We later find out that the General and his family had been killed during the war in bomb blast that hit their home.

After further investigation it was also discovered that Gen. Ibrahim Moussa did not declare any next of kin in his official papers including the paper work of his bank deposit. And he also confided in me the last time he was at my office that no one except me knew of his deposit in my bank. So, Twenty millions Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars is still lying in my bank and no one will ever come forward to claim it. What bothers me most is that according to the to the laws of my country at the expiration 3 years the funds will revert to the ownership of the Hong Kong Government if nobody applies to claim the funds.
    Against this backdrop, my suggestion to you is that I will like you as a foreigner to stand as the next of kin to Gen. Ibrahim Moussa so that you will be able to receive his funds.

WHAT IS TO BE DONE:

I want you to know that I have had everything planned out so that we shall come out successful. I have contacted an attorney that will prepare the necessary document that will back you up as the next of kin to Gen. Ibrahim Moussa, all that is required from you at this stage is for you to provide me with your Full Names and Address so that the attorney can commence his job. After you have been made the next of kin, the attorney will also fill in for claims on your behalf and secure the necessary approval and letter of probate in your favor for the move of the funds to an account that will be provided by you.

There is no risk involved at all in the matter as we are going adopt a legalized method and the attorney will prepare all the necessary documents. Please endeavor to observe utmost discretion in all matters concerning this issue.
    Once the funds have been transferred to your nominated bank account we shall share in the ratio of 70% for me, 25% for you and 5% for any expenses incurred during the course of this operation.
    Should you be interested please send me your full names and current residential address and I will prefers you to reach me on the email address below
    (wangqin77@internav.com) and finally after that i shall provide you with more details of this operation.
    Your earliest response to this letter will be appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Mr. Wang Qin

-- I reported him to

419.fcd@usss.treas.gov

and

http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp