Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Who says 7.62x39 is inherently inaccurate?

Frankenrifle shoots.... Frankenrifle scores!

frankenriflewithgroups7.jpg

And a closer look:

frankenriflegroups7aug0.jpg

Top is 100m, 135gn Sierra MatchKing loaded just off rifling, 23.0gn (weighed) VV N130 (actually rounds number 14-19 through rifle - 3 @ proofhouse, 10 gash rds for shooting in, then these).
Bottom is next 5 rounds (with a full cleaning in between the 2 strings), same but 23.5gn (weighed) N130.

Top measures at approx 15mm c-c (0.54MOA), bottom 10.5mm c-c (0.375MOA).

Scope was Leopold 1.5-5x20 set at 5x power.

With original barrel & stock, this rifle would do 4MOA on a GOOD day, IF it held zero... ANd that is a BIG if...

Adding the brake made it shoot about 3-4" high, and the group with 23.5gn N130 opened out to about 1MOA. Can't really grumble, though!

So, this is the proof that there's nothing inherently wrong with 7.62x39, it's just the rifles and cavernous throats they give them. BTW, Lapua 123gn .311" spitzers loaded to mag length WILL NOT chamber in this rifle!!! I think the mil stuff does though; will have to check...

Stoaty is MUCHO chuffto, and you can all apologise for being nasty to Frankenrifle.

Thats the problem, you have to load the bullets out til they nudge the grooves!
Still it wasnt ever designed for precision work, the BR cases though 6mm PPC etc were all developed from it. I'm sure it would be a good case for a 140 grain 6.5 bullet.

Congrats mate - shoots very well.

Still a bit like sleeping with fat girls though, it might get the job done very well, but you feel uncomfortable showing it to your mates :wink:

ugly said:
Thats the problem, you have to load the bullets out til they nudge the grooves!
Still it wasnt ever designed for precision work, the BR cases though 6mm PPC etc were all developed from it. I'm sure it would be a good case for a 140 grain 6.5 bullet.

It did .65MOAish (I'd have to look it up) with the 135's loaded to magazine length! But I did buy the reamer with the tightest throat I could, although I swear this is looser than the reamer drawing indicates.

Mr_Deputy said:
Not bad. Did anyone laugh at you?
What's with the US cents? I thought you were in The Netherregions? Or are you making this an international bragging session? = 0 )

Given that this is a UK forum with some US-ers around, Brit & Spam coins seemed the way forward! :D

I did wondered why YesItsMe was posting in here.

So you've made a rifle that shoots to the industry standard. Very nice. ;)

Doubt there's much wrong with hte cartridge but there's not much wrong with 7.62x51. Not out of my TRG anyway. 0.8" Groups - at 400 yds. :D

EX_STAB said:

Doubt there's much wrong with hte cartridge but there's not much wrong with 7.62x51. Not out of my TRG anyway. 0.8" Groups - at 400 yds. :D

.8" @400 regularly?

And sub-1/2MOA industry std for 7.62x39??? HAHAHAHAHA! Very funny! ;)

stoatman said:
EX_STAB said:

.8" @400 regularly?

And sub-1/2MOA industry std for 7.62x39??? HAHAHAHAHA! Very funny! ;)

Only tried it once to be honest. Must make some ammunition.