Who said that?

Probably said by a QM, up his own arse and always says no.

I did hear a nice little dit.
The General walks along with his Ops Officer and Int Officer on either side of him - His head of logistics trails behind.
The Int Officer tells him what the enemy are up to.
The Ops Officer tells him what they should do.

Then the QM pipes up "err, excuse me, but we can't do that because..."

Gosh you have got a good memory. One field hospital lost a CES of tentage on the Conveyor, and a second set in the aforementioned conflagration. It happened shortly before a big audit, but that was only a story told to me by older, real soldiers.

In answer to the OP it might have been Rommel.
Indeed it may have been a bastardisation of his quote:

'An adequate supply system and stocks of weapons, petrol and ammunition are essential conditions for any army to be able to stand successfully the strain of battle. Before the fighting proper, the battle is fought and decided by the Quartermasters.'

Q.

As far as the desert war goes, I read somewhere it was;

'A strategist's dream, and a quartermaster's nightmare.'

Bearing in mind the distances involved and the tenuous links to home on both sides, that would sound about right, and connects with the original question.

As far as the desert war goes, I read somewhere it was;

'A strategist's dream, and a quartermaster's nightmare.'

Bearing in mind the distances involved and the tenuous links to home on both sides, that would sound about right, and connects with the original question.
Tell me any battle that has not been a QM's nightmare!! Even dad's army were plagued by logistics gremlins!