Who remembers when the army was considering mounting a coup in the United Kingdom in 1975?

A popular conspiracy theory is that guys in the British army contemplated staging a coup in 1975, when Harold Wilson was PM (The British Coup Conspiracy). In a book about Robert Nairac, I read the account of a fella who was an officer in the SAS at the time. He was in a pub in Aldershot with some pals, talking about the possibility of a coup. A black gentleman who had been sitting nearby sipping a scotch approached them and told them that if they wanted to do a coup, he was their man: he's just done one in Sudan.

Now, this was just another conspiracy theory, but here was a guy who was in the army back then who said it was common knowledge at the time. Can anyone tell me more? I don't care if the info is second-hand. I don't care about the number of hands at all.

"A few blokes in pub in Aldershot planned to overthrow the Government" is the basis of your conspiracy theory?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
A popular conspiracy theory is that guys in the British army contemplated staging a coup in 1975, when Harold Wilson was PM (The British Coup Conspiracy). In a book about Robert Nairac, I read the account of a fella who was an officer in the SAS at the time. He was in a pub in Aldershot with some pals, talking about the possibility of a coup. A black gentleman who had been sitting nearby sipping a scotch approached them and told them that if they wanted to do a coup, he was their man: he's just done one in Sudan.

Now, this was just another conspiracy theory, but here was a guy who was in the army back then who said it was common knowledge at the time. Can anyone tell me more? I don't care if the info is second-hand. I don't care about the number of hands at all.
Is this you?

chilman.jpg

"A few blokes in pub in Aldershot planned to overthrow the Government" is the basis of your conspiracy theory?

As you do. To be honest the most unbelievable part was the Sudanese chap. What are the odds of him being in the pub to offer his services just as the coup plot begins.

'Freelance writer seeks ideas for new book without wishing to pay reseach fee' shocker!!

1&12

LE
That was the year our platoon commander asked two of us whether, if the CO ordered the battalion to take control of a city a few miles from barracks, we would follow him.
I'm sure that's unconnected with your question though.............. (and it might be that more than 650 men would be required to "take" a city).
I think he was just trying to reassure himself that we weren't as unstable as he suspected.

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer

Stand by for broadcast... @No.4 Mk.1 report to this thread where your expertise in all things conspiracy is required.

Last edited:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

I remember it well, we had talks with the trade unions leaders, the TGWU were going to let us use their branch offices for the storing of weapons and they were a big backer of this after talks in Russia proved this would be a popular decision among workers. Ron Todd from the TGWU was to lead the country after the coup with help from Russia.
We had extensive talks in many local pubs near to TA centres as it was thought they'd be useful allies as would the HSF and they'd have easy access to weapons.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP

Latest Threads