Who remembers these?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by diehard57, Jun 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst smurfing t'interweb I came across this memory from my childhood - does anyone else remember these?

Civil War Cards

I remember that these were banned in the playground at my junior school as the images were thought to be too graphic - all it did was to push the dealing underground - boys toilets, back of the coke stack, etc.

A full set of these is currently going for £106.00 on ebay! If only we knew then what we know now eh?

Ahhhh......happy days!
  2. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Never heard of them
  3. I take it they are American civil war! Ie on a largely British membership site you expect people to remember them :? Remember our civil war happened before your country existed!
  4. Awesome cards highly collectable in their day when kids where kids and not wrapped in cotton wool :twisted:
  5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I remember these. They came, if I remember correctly, in a pack of two or three with a sheet of pink bubblegum.

Far better were the WWII variety, which were a mixture of b/w photos (some of which were by some of the best war photographers and featured in Time, Life and so on), and lurid comicbook-style illustrations.

The cards were recycleable - attached, with a clothes peg, to the rear forks of a bicycle, several cards produced a motorbike engine effect, which in turn generated a most satisfying level of irritation amongst oparents and neighbours.
  6. but i do remember these

7. now now bennet be nice!
  8. Nice one mate - I offer up a of a childhood memory of growing up in Tottenham some 40 years ago and you take this and assume I'm a spam - how's does that one work then?

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.... :roll:
  9. I used to have a load of silk ciggy "cards" ISTR they had warships of the First World War on them, no idea where they went :cry:
  10. Sorry I don't remember them.

40/45 years ago it was Mars Attacks and The Man from Uncle cards for me and my brothers.

Sheets of pink bubble gum and the peg and bike wheel?
    Oh yes I remember them well! :lol:
  11. Fair enough I appologise wrong of me to jump to conclusions. I was never one for collecting cards, but this thread inspired me to se what had become of a favourite from my childhood....
    Tonka Toys.....Bloody marvelous
    Doesn't look like they make the maroon jeep anymore, but the dump truck is still going strong and hopefully as indestructable as ever.
  12. Tonka toys .. remember the advert .... they had an elephant stand on the toy truck and then claim it is indestructable? ............... brother got the the truck for Xmas and had broke it within 24 hrs :)

Any one remember the original Top Trumps and Warlord or Commando magazine ?

13. [​IMG]

think the age restriction should be changed.