Who owns the UK nowadays?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Troy, May 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's a question I'm hoping that someone can help me with. Maybe it's been asked before, perhaps here or maybe somewhere else where I could be referred to.

I have often wondered just how many of our former British assets, particularly previously nationalised assets, have been sold off and are now in foreign ownership?

For example, the former British Steel was sold off to a Dutch firm and is now owned by Tata (of India) who plan to lay off some British workers. Another example is my local Water Board is French owned. Therefore it follows that ultimately profits from these assets, earned here in the UK, end up going abroad.

I'm interested to know to what extent are such assets owned and controlled by foreign agencies. And just how much of GB is still in British hands. Would anyone know of anywhere where this sort of information has been collated?

2. I'm not sure we even own the air anymore.

3. Nope. I doubt it has been collated anywhere they'd let you see the results.

Having said that, things like the FTSE 100, FTSE 250 are publicly accessable, (isn't the internet wonderful for finding things out), and you can get access to companies house Registers (some info is free, but not who owns the company). If you're desperate, you can also contact Land Registry, who'll charge you a few quid to tell you who the registered owner (if there is one) of a piece of land is. That can get VERY expensive, real quick though.

4. We don't. It's Icelandic territory. When the dust settles, they'll have invaded by stealth. Clever people, these Vikings...

5. To the OP: Ask your MP. He should ask the question in Parliament and receive the latest spin.

6. Its a sensetive issue, like awarding contracts for new nuclear powerstations to the French company the last primeministers brother works for.
    The last primeminister wouldn't have had is brothers interests in mind at all, that would be unethical.....

7. I would have thought as soon as a nationalized asset is in private corporate hands it could be bought out by anyone. Globally, we are in the same market as anyone else. But we cant wave the flag too much else people like nissan wont open any factories in Geordieland etc.

Biggest problem of late has been keeping the banks sweet so they dont clear off to Hong Kong/Frankfurt. British mistake has been to see money in very unstrategic terms, and to put all of it in the Banking sector, unlike Germany who still have a diverse and healthy economy who actually make high quality goods.

8. I cant see how this info could be accurately collated. for example, your French water company might bank with an american bank, located in London. That bank then invest the money ... now where is it, and who benefits ??? where is the tax paid, and when ?almost an unanswerable question I would have thought.

9. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

10. There can't be much left to be honest. Local government has been significantly privatised and I know many of the companies doing the work are either French, Spanish and Australian or their parent companies are from these places. The British Airports Authority which incidentally has compulsory purchasing powers (convenient if you would like to build another runway at Heathrow) is owned by a Spanish company. All the these companies were encouraged by their governments to come here and look for this work. In fact some of them are publicly owned or sponsored by their governments back where they come from. Consider the fact that all our major industrial base such as the car industry, the steel industry and the coal industry has been closed or sold and when sold, then passed into foreign ownership. Then add on to all that that everybody is taking imported labour from abroad on to do their work for £30 or £40 a day. No wonder we are in so much crap.

12. If I recall correctly, the last government changed the law to create a mechanism through which we could borrow money from the Middle East. This had to be acceptable under Sharia Law and I think involved us selling off state assets and then buying them back so that interest payments weren't involved. Anybody know what we've sold under this system? I wasn't paying a lot of attention at the time and very few in the media made a fuss about it (that's what made me suspicious). Should have made notes at the time I know.

Aha! . . . . Found the roots of it . . anyone know what happened here?

"Britain is to become the first Western nation to issue bonds approved by Muslim clerics in line with sharia law, which bans conventional loans involving interest payments as "sinful". The scheme would mark one of the most significant economic advances of sharia law in the non-Muslim world. It will lead to the ownership of Government buildings and other assets currently belonging to British taxpayers being switched wholesale to wealthy Middle-Eastern businessmen and banks."

Edited for update

13. Since the Chinese own the USA now, I dont doubt they also own the UK.

14. Continental Europeans used to call the UK "Treasure Island" - high prices so very good profits and anyone can buy our commerce/industry.

I guess we cannot complain. We used to own a fair chunk of the world and the proceeds came back to the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Strangely, Marx and Engels were amongst the earliest modern theoreticians to predict that global networks of capital would undermine the state as model of social governance. Be a rum old thing if they turned out to be right.

Mind you, it's not a new phenomenon - look at how the UK's jute industry collapsed in favor of outsourcing to India. Fair enough, that's an example internal to the British Empire but it's a decent example of how international borders really count for jack.