WHO on high alert for worldwide flu pandemic

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dangerousdave, Apr 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope everyone's had their flu jabs 8O

Mexico swine flu outbreak is 'potential pandemic'World Health Organisation warns countries worldwide to check for outbreaks of swine flu that may have killed more than 60 people in Mexico

The head of the World Health Organisation said today that the swine flu outbreak in Mexico and the United States, which has killed more than 60 people, could develop into a pandemic.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Mexico-Deadly-Swine-Flu-Virus-United-States-Threatened-After-Cases-In-Texas-And-California/Article/200904415269048?f=rss

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/25/swine-flu-mexico

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article6167544.ece

2. What happened to a pandemic of bird flu that was suppose to wipe out half the Earth population?

3. Dont forget AIDS was gonna kill us all before then!

4. Is it a case of "spectacular journalism" or a part of some kind of a "master plan" to keep peasants in a constant state of anxiety?

5. No its playing big time here in China as well, its combination of Pig, Bird and Human genetic material plus it's ability to transmit directly from Human to Human is unique....and very scary.

A deliberate release or natural mutation (which one of you freaks has been having pig and goose luv ins in Mexico City?)

6. At 39 and in fairly good health, I don't get flu jabs typically; there's seemingly a chronic shortage each year, and I figure a small child, elderly person or other at-risk individual would benefit more from getting the jab than I. Of course the Spanish Influenza of 1918 targetted the people who were fairly young and in robust health. I suppose we'll see with this one.

We're past due for a global killer pandemic, it's only a matter of time.

7. Is it too early for it to be the sort of National Emergency which could be used to avoid calling a General Election. Emergency Powers sort of stuff.

Perhaps that's what Brown and the Prince of Darkness were really doing in South America last month?

8. Cheery stuff. But sadly you may be right

What about the pandemic risk?

It is likely that most of people, especially those who do not have regular contact with pigs, do not have immunity to swine influenza viruses that can prevent the virus infection. If a swine virus established efficient human-to human transmission, it can cause an influenza pandemic. The impact of a pandemic caused by such a virus is difficult to predict: it depends on virulence of the virus, existing immunity among people, cross protection by antibodies acquired from seasonal influenza infection and host factors. Swine influenza viruses can give a rise to a hybrid virus by mixing with a human influenza virus and can cause pandemic.

Is there a human vaccine to protect from swine influenza?

No.

Influenza viruses change very quickly and the match between the vaccine and the circulating virus is very important to give adequate protective immunity to vaccinated people. This is why WHO needs
    to select vaccine viruses twice a year for seasonal influenza protection, once for the northern hemisphere winter and another for the southern hemisphere. Current seasonal influenza vaccine produced based on WHO recommendation does not contain swine influenza virus. It is unknown
    whether the seasonal vaccines can provide any cross protection to ongoing swine influenza virus infection in the United States and Mexico. WHO is working closely with its partner institutions for further advise on the use of seasonal influenza vaccine in preventing the swine influenza infection.

This section will be updated as more information becomes available

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_24/en/index.html

9. The BBC website states that this virus seems to prefer young adults rather than kids and the elderly.

Worried yet? 8O

10. Ha.

Loads of luck getting anyone to rush out a swine flu vaccine. Last time that was tried was during the Carter administration, and it didn't end well.

Hope you all like your face wellies, chaps...

11. I think you'll find that will do bugger all good against this threat mate.

12. The impact will vary from country to country; Sixty people have died in Mexico. In the US, only eight people have contracted the disease so far. And none of them have died yet.

Rich, powerful nations with well-developed health care, emergancy services etc will cope better than Third World sh1t-holes like Mexico.

Obviously, the UK is fcuked. :roll:

13. You can laugh if you like.....

In 1919 the commander of Norfolk Naval Base tracked the progression of reported flu outbreaks on a map, and noted that the wave of illness was nearing Norfolk. He contacted the Bureau of Naval Medicine in Washington, DC for advice on how to prepare his command for the epidemic. He received a two word reply: "Build Coffins".

14. Better safe than sorry...

Seal off Mexico. Ban all travel to and from. Mobilise the National Guard to help BP stop the wet-backs. Authorise lethal force on anyone breaking the quarentine.

15. I don't know about flu, but I think I've just contracted depression!